User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User flanzm
(learned) Fri 30-Sep-16 09:17:51
Print Post

Vodafone geographic availability

[link to this post]

Guys,

Is the availability of Vodafone broadband availability geographically limited ? Last month the site said it was available at my property and now it says it's not.

I've tried a couple of other addresses and it also says it's not available.

Do we know how this product is actually provisioned - i.e. does it rely on an LLU presence for the backhaul ? Also do we know how the voice circuit is provisioned - is it just WLR or again based on an LLU offering ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Sep-16 19:13:15
Print Post

Re: Vodafone geographic availability

[re: flanzm] [link to this post]

Are we talking ADSL2+ or FTTC/Fibre as answers are different.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User flanzm
(learned) Fri 30-Sep-16 19:45:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry FTTC. I'm in rural Market 1 exchange (PARSON DROVE) on Cabinet 1 - previously it was showing as available but now it's not.

An address down the road - on GUYHIRN cabinet 1 (also Market 1 but I suspect is actually fed from a large exchange) shows availability.

Just trying to understand what is going on here - my suspicion is that they are turning away customers where they don't have their kit in exchanges.

Thanks for your help here - much appreciated.

Edited by flanzm (Fri 30-Sep-16 22:23:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Oct-16 05:45:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by flanzm:
Sorry FTTC. I'm in rural Market 1 exchange (PARSON DROVE) on Cabinet 1 - previously it was showing as available but now it's not.

Based on the BT ADSL checker results of postcode PE13 4AF (randomly taken from here) it appears your FTTC cabinet P1 is full now ('waiting list') hence you cannot take out a FTTC service from ANY provider until a port becomes free or additional capacity is added. This should be confirmed when you enter your own postcode or phone number in the checker.

As to when you will be able to get FTTC its a question of "how long is a piece of string?". When Vodafone were able to offer this to you previously your FTTC cabinet had spare port(s). Its just a matter of checking the BT adsl checker regularly and ordering as soon as its showing as 'available'.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 01-Oct-16 05:50:31)

Standard User flanzm
(learned) Sat 01-Oct-16 06:47:02
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Thanks. Ah yes I did know the cabinet was full as they were installing more tie pairs just last week.

As I already have FTTC with PlusNet I had assumed that it would know that and treat it as a migration. However I've just read some more about the migration process and it looks like they actually release the port and then reclaim it - maybe not a good thing to do just now!

I've just tried an address on CABINET 7 on my exchange and it goes through ok - so it all makes sense.

So the one outstanding question is who supplies the phone line - am I correct in thinking Openreach take care of the broadband and (maybe) hand it off via Vodafone backhaul but that voice is still BT WLR ?

There seems to be very little technical detail around about the Vodafone product.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by flanzm (Sat 01-Oct-16 06:50:00)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Oct-16 07:19:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by flanzm:
So the one outstanding question is who supplies the phone line - am I correct in thinking Openreach take care of the broadband and (maybe) hand it off via Vodafone backhaul but that voice is still BT WLR ?

Not 100% sure but I think Vodafone only supply their ADSL2+ & FTTC services where they have LLU'd exchanges so in theory its Openreach backhaul from FTTC cab to exchange and then Vodafone backhaul from exchange onwards.

However, even though your local exchange Parson Drove has BT WBC/21CN backhaul, its possible your FTTC cabinet might be connected to the larger Peterborough exchange which might explain why Vodafone are/were able to offer you a FTTC service.

Irrespective of where your fibre head end is, your telephone line will be connected to your local exchange and as Vodafone haven't LLU'd it, Vodafone will supply their phone service over the BT wholesale network.

TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.59_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 01-Oct-16 07:24:35)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Oct-16 12:48:49
Print Post

Vodafone claim 100% line with Openreach FTTC footprint, so in some areas they must be happy with WLR (price wise there is not much in it these days).

Sounds like the full cabinet rather than any footprint alignment issues are the root cause

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-16 13:16:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Not 100% sure but I think Vodafone only supply their ADSL2+ & FTTC services where they have LLU'd exchanges so in theory its Openreach backhaul from FTTC cab to exchange and then Vodafone backhaul from exchange onwards.

They may do for their retail service but if their wholesale service is any indication, they do both on and off-net and the pricing isn't that different between the two.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to