User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 02-Nov-16 22:42:59
Print Post

Thinking of moving from Sky..

[link to this post]

Hello

I'm thinking of switching to Vodafone fibre in the next few months (which is when discount with Sky ends), as they are £9 or £12 cheaper . However you've guessed it's one of those post aka I have a few questions first....

- Has anyone made the switch from Sky ? Were you able to keep your number ? Was there any thing different about the set up on the days leading up to or during your going live day, compared to going to any other provider including Sky?
- Did the switch going smoothly?
- Have you had any problems with the service line speed etc etc? If yes were they quickly and easily sovled?
- Whats your overral experince with them like?

Thank you in advance.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by wy2k (Wed 02-Nov-16 22:45:20)

Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 05-Nov-16 17:10:19
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving from Sky..

[re: wy2k] [link to this post]

I'm in a similar boat, as my discount with sky had ended. I want to use my own router though, and their less than consistent policy of connection details doesn't help.

I had a mate who was on BT, migrated to Sky LLU and then Fibre, and then to Vodafone. Apparently his number can not be migrated back to Sky (he tried to cancel his Vodafone service and move to Sky, and that is what Sky told a potential 'new/returning' customer)..... So yes, his number moved happy to Vodafone, but now is seemingly trapped with them (if you believe what the sales teams told him, and he questioned it a couple of times).

Switching I believe as smooth, just swapped the routers over.

Performance seems to be fine, he is on 80/20.

I'd imagine their customer service is cr@p, just as it is for their mobile customers. Sky CS has always been brilliant, and I feel pained when I have to call VF with queries about my mobile as they are a bunch of incompetent cretins. However if the service "just works" then you;'d never have to experience it.... sadly there aren't enough customers on VF fibre to know.

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sat 05-Nov-16 22:57:35
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

ok thanks given me something to think about I've got 2 or 3 months before my sky deal ends. If only sky would get rid of line rental or at least bring prices in line with vodafones..i know not going to happen they only seem to know how to increase prices.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kebabselector
(member) Mon 07-Nov-16 09:55:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by wy2k:
If only sky would get rid of line rental or at least bring prices in line with vodafones.

Vodafone haven't removed line rental - it's just hidden in the price now.

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb down - .8mb up
Exchange is Fibre enabled, Cab not economically viable to upgrade - though 'Now Exploring Solutions aka we want someone else to pay for it.'
Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 50 - small cabinet of fail
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Nov-16 10:00:49
Print Post

If only sky would get rid of line rental or at least bring prices in line with vodafones.
They have done this. Thing is, line rental is still in the price, line rental pays for maintenance of the telephone line coming into your home... Vodafone have just bundled it into one big price and said "no line rental." Now Sky, BT etc have followed suit. You will notice the prices are generally the same, or higher, than the old price which was Line Rental + Broadband.

E.g.Sky ADSL used to be 17.70 + 5 for broadband = 22.70
Their new price "without line rental" is 22.40 all in
Notice the overall price is basically the same.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 08-Nov-16 09:37:44
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

i'am not sure i understand that vodafone line rental is hidden in one price as typical line rental going via other providers is around £17 which would make there broadband around £9 how can they do it that cheap when other providers can't?!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Nov-16 09:52:34
Print Post

I pay talktalk £0 for fibre and just pay £17.70 total a month = 17.70 total (retentions deal) but it's £27 normally.

I pay BT £19.20 line rental + £10 for fibre optic BT infinity = 29.10 a month

Other providers can and do offer broadband around that price. You just need to get on board during their offers.

BT infinity is £29.99 on their website with line rental

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 08-Nov-16 09:53:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Nov-16 12:56:30
Print Post

Its called competition and a desire to grow a user base from perhaps 150,000 customers to a million and bigger, ie. need to undercut others as much as possible.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Nov-16 12:20:10
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Other providers can and do offer broadband around that price. You just need to get on board during their offers.

The difference here is that Vodafone's £25 per month for unlimited fibre and line rental is not an introductory offer, whereas all the other prices you mentioned are.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-Nov-16 11:59:38
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

While the Vodafone price is not an introductory offer, I suspect that as they grow in size and rather than using spare capacity they need to expand the tune may change i.e. price rises

A big difference between a fixed price contract for life and a fixed price for an 18 month term.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to