User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 21-Nov-16 13:45:54
Print Post

Migrating to Vodafone (38)

[link to this post]

I phoned Vodafone today, and the chap I spoke to confirmed without a doubt that I can use my own router and that Vodafone will provide the necessary authentication details to enable this to happen, and that I need never even unpack their router (unless there is a fault).

I've noted the time / date of the call and the name of the guy as they claim to record calls. He also sent me a Vodafone text confirming this.

Decided to stick with the 38 service (from Sky), I see that they provide caller ID, etc for free, but evening/weekend calls are an additional £4/month, and anytime £8/month so that is how they make the deal seem so cheap. This isn't an issue for me, as I very rarely use my home number for outgoing calls.

(also last night got a a mate on Vodaphone 78 connected up using his Draytek, so I know the details will work, if provided). Am getting stuck for the activation charge though, which they claim was payable to BT.

Will keep this thread updated on progression.

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 21-Nov-16 15:16:25
Print Post

Re: Migrating to Vodafone (38)

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Oh dear, this isn't looking promising....

Hello Matthew,

We're sad to see you go

We're sorry to hear that you want to cancel your Sky Talk and Sky Broadband Fibre, and you don't want to continue with our award-winning service.

Your Sky Talk and Sky Broadband Fibre will be cancelled on 21/11/2016.

Please note it can take up to ten working days for the broadband service to be removed from your phone line, after which your new provider will be able to take over your phone line.

Surely I would expect a near seamless transfer from Sky to Vodafone, not being ditched for 10 days with no service what so ever.

Speedtests:
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Nov-16 15:50:59
Print Post

The last paragraph might be a standard response Sky send out to migrating customers, there shouldn't be a gap of >24hrs between the transfer. I would get on the blower to Sky and Vodafone to get a clearer picture.

As for using your own router on VF, good luck...you're going to need it frown Irrespective of what their sales staff tell you, their support agents have clamped down on handing out router credentials after senior VF managers found out staff were handing out customers' login details willy nilly. Of course you may hit the jackpot but prepared for resistance from VF. Worth reading the last few pages here:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly-products-...

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
TalkTalk Business 80/20
Asus RT-AC5300 with 380.63_HGG-FINAL
My Broadband Quality Monitor
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 21-Nov-16 15:54:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 21-Nov-16 17:00:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
As for using your own router on VF, good luck...you're going to need it frown Irrespective of what their sales staff tell you, their support agents have clamped down on handing out router credentials after senior VF managers found out staff were handing out customers' login details willy nilly. Of course you may hit the jackpot but prepared for resistance from VF. Worth reading the last few pages here:

Vodafone say the switch date is 7th December, so their conclusion is that it might be Sky tactics to panic me into staying put. Line is tagged as "Working Line Take Over", which is what I understand it should be, rather than a cease, or anything else.

You are right, and even though 'technical' can see I have requested to use my own equipment (and that a txt was sent to that affect) they have said no. So it looks like I'll be reverting back to Sky.

Sales Team say Yes
Technical Team say No
Retention / Cancellation Team say No
Good Will Team say Yes

What a farce. Have got a £5 goodwill gesture from them!

Speedtests:
Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 21-Nov-16 17:19:37
Print Post

Re: Migrating to Vodafone (38) <--- scratch that!!!

and gone back to Sky, they have bettered voda's offer and come in at £20/month for 12 months.

Speedtests:
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 21-Nov-16 18:04:45
Print Post

Including line rental? If so you have done very well!

Michael Chare
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Nov-16 18:30:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
Decided to stick with the 38 service (from Sky), I see that they provide caller ID, etc for free, but evening/weekend calls are an additional £4/month, and anytime £8/month so that is how they make the deal seem so cheap.

Vodafone and Sky both charge £4 for evening/weekend calls and £8 for anytime calls, so it's not the reason the Vodafone deal is so cheap relative to Sky.

Oliver.
Standard User mbames
(member) Mon 21-Nov-16 18:41:01
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Including line rental? If so you have done very well!

Yep, basically Sky have waived the cost of the line rental for 12 months, so I am just paying for 38 fibre, and I rarely use my phoneline I've ditched the call package (which I was doing with Vodafone as well).

All in all a good days work smile

Speedtests:
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 24-Nov-16 10:32:39
Print Post

Re: Migrating to Vodafone (38) <-- left hand, right hand

Just to add to this thread:

Having signed up and cancelled within a few hours, it took Vodafone 36 hours to pass my line to their cancellation team so another ISP could have it.

Since then a bone-head team based in Rotherham have phoned me numerous times offering me Broadband and promising to me that I can use my own router and that the authentication deals are stuck on the side of the router. I politely informed them that was the wifi details. Then they speak to their manager, "Oh yes, not a problem you can use your own router...."

The last thing which they said which was I could plug my router into their Connect router, so that would be either double natting, or it might go into modem mode - but I doubt that..... Once I said I was on Sky for less money (£20/month) they couldn't even match that, but spent 30 minutes wasting my time on phone calls.

It seems that Vodafone's various teams have zero idea about what can and can not be done. Shame, as it might be a good service, but their customer service abilities are terrible

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Thu 24-Nov-16 10:34:01)

Print Thread

Jump to