User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 13:25:11
Print Post

Trying to place an order for fibre 78 with Vodafone...

[link to this post]

.. currently with Sky fibre I've been trying to place an order for vodafone fibre 78 via there website but it keeps failing at the creating your id etc this maytake 60 seconds page and throws back to the confirm order page with message theres been one or more errors..try again or phone this number.

Anyone else had this problem did you get your order though the end with out resulting to calling them? If so how?!

Thanky ou

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 14:51:52
Print Post

Re: Trying to place an order for fibre 78 with Vodafone...

[re: wy2k] [link to this post]

Hi, when I tried it failed the first time, so I submitted it again and the second time it worked. If it keeps failing I would just 'phone them.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 16:56:37
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Well I've tried 3 or 4 times trying in Firefox and chrome. I put my email address as username could be that ? Or the way I'm entering correct details? Thanks

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-16 18:10:42
Print Post

I didn't use my email as a username, and I used chrome too. The error messages don't really give any clue as to what is wrong either. As I said it took two goes for mine to go through and I have no idea why it failed the first time.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 22-Nov-16 23:46:57
Print Post

Ok well after some trail and error I got my order was successful. However now I can't set up my vodafone website account I enter my username and temp password get and a code sent to me I enter it and just get an error dialog over and nothing else happens. How did you resolve this issue?

Also on one of my order e-mails under 'what happens next' one of the things it says is - 'One of our advisors will contact you in the next 2 days to discuss your order.' What is this about ?

I've got an existing line and number so assume vodafone can just take this over ? like Sky did when i moved from BT and vice versa (over 4 years)...vodafone don't need to do any work my end do, they it's all just at the exchange etc?

thank you

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by wy2k (Wed 23-Nov-16 00:01:53)

Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 23-Nov-16 10:14:10
Print Post

Vodafone seem to have about a million departments, so anything gets passed from one team to another before it really happens.

I signed up and cancelled all within a few hours, but it took VF another 36 hours to release my phone line. Initially they said "It has been released", but what they really meant was they had passed it to the team who handle that and it was in their queue.

Thankfully I cancelled my order with VF, as given then technical inabilities to process calls, let alone tell the truth to customers is amazing. Back to Sky where customer service is great. smile

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 11:08:23
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

I get what your saying about customer service, but I took the gamble with VF to save money I mean most people go months if not years without having to speak to customer service *fingers crossed*.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:51:59
Print Post

well a VF Agent has just been on the phone with me there is an issue with my order causing it get struck in the system and potientially fail. The agent is looking in to it for me so fingers crossed see what he comes back with. So thumbs up to VF the owning the issue and want to resolve it for me.

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Nov-16 23:47:48
Print Post

Sorry, only just seen your post, the issue logging in to the 'my Vodafone ' account is unresolved. It seems that many other people are having this problem too. It seems to be related to broadband accounts.

The only contact with Vodafone has been by email and text message.

Yes, I had a message to say that a house visit was not required. I am still using the kit from the original install back in 2011. (BT did replace the modem with a 3b along the way).

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 00:08:27
Print Post

Well i like you thought it was an error still might be..not being able to get log in to my vodafone but then i reread my first e-mails from VF and read this in one of them 'Thank you for registering for My Vodafone. We’re just setting up your account, which will be available for you once your device has been delivered.'

So could that be the reason as i've obvousily not got my VF router yet and my line isn't officially turn on and with VF yet.

Assuming VF can sort out my order had a call from them to say my order was struck in the system something to do with my address.

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Nov-16 12:00:19
Print Post

It may be the case that the account is not active until the broadband becomes active, however, there is a suggestion when you sign up that you can track your order through 'My Vodafone'.

I should soon know as my migration to Vodafone should complete on Tuesday 29th.

I hope that VF sort out your order quickly.

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-16 22:40:37
Print Post

Well I hope it sorted out now, I was sent another e-mail i've from them before with a new order number and a new activation date of 12 Dec. It was 8th Dec before there was an issue with my order but at least it is going ahead *fingers crossed*.

One of the e-mails tells me how 'DPD' will be delivering my router,however it's not in the system yet i'm guessing as it claims my order number is invalid.

I'm not sure what is going on with 'my Vodafone' but hopefully its nothing to important.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ste211270
(regular) Fri 25-Nov-16 01:52:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by wy2k:
One of the e-mails tells me how 'DPD' will be delivering my router,however it's not in the system yet i'm guessing as it claims my order number is invalid.

I get the same error on my order
Standard User ste211270
(regular) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:00:44
Print Post

[re: ste211270] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ste211270:
One of the e-mails tells me how 'DPD' will be delivering my router,however it's not in the system yet I'm guessing as it claims my order number is invalid.

I get the same error on my order

my vodaphone modem/router was delivered this morning
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:15:49
Print Post

Yes, mine arrived a week ago today. Hopefully my changeover from Plusnet will go ok on Tuesday.

Standard User ste211270
(regular) Fri 25-Nov-16 11:21:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheHorseman:
Yes, mine arrived a week ago today. Hopefully my changeover from Plusnet will go ok on Tuesday.

fingers crossed
would be interested in some feedback on your broadband when activated with Vodaphone
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:32:14
Print Post

fingers crossed
would be interested in some feedback on your broadband when activated with Vodaphone

I'll post back when I am up and running.

Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 25-Nov-16 14:33:16
Print Post

my vodaphone modem/router was delivered this morning

So was mine, and I cancelled my order about 2 hours after I signed up. Seemed to be the only efficient part of the Vodafone process - sending out the router. Still waiting for them to send me the return details so they can have it back.

One of their staff suggested that it might be possible to use the router in modem-only mode, and thus I could plug it into a WAN port on my router, but I wasn't prepared to take that at face value given the other mistruths they spout!

Speedtests:
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Fri 25-Nov-16 18:52:27
Print Post

@ste211270 & @Thehorseman Have you got your 'my vodafone' working or you still getting the error code after you put your temp password in and request a code?
If you got it to work how did you manage it?

cheers

My Broadband Speed Test
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-16 22:38:13
Print Post

@wy2k, no, it still gives the java error. I'll wait to see if it suddenly springs to life when my migration completes.

Standard User ste211270
(regular) Sat 26-Nov-16 04:07:35
Print Post

No mate get the same as Thehorseman
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Nov-16 14:32:14
Print Post

What Java error message do you get ?

The annoyance with My Vodafone is it is always a two factor log-in system, which is annoying if you don't have a phone around.

I think customer service (both phone and on-line chat is very good), and the good news is that you can pay more than needed too.

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
Working on BallZ #GO!
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 26-Nov-16 16:09:52
Print Post

[re: MrTAToad2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:
The annoyance with My Vodafone is it is always a two factor log-in system, which is annoying if you don't have a phone around.

I often find that the 2nd factor text message might take 10 minutes to arrive, other times it can be instant. A bit of a pain when you just want a sneaky login at work!

Speedtests:
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 26-Nov-16 17:32:32
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
In reply to a post by MrTAToad2:

I often find that the 2nd factor text message might take 10 minutes to arrive, other times it can be instant. A bit of a pain when you just want a sneaky login at work!
Even more of a problem if you don't get a decent mobile phone signal. frown

Michael Chare
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Nov-16 17:41:49
Print Post

The error message is:

java.lang.NullPointerExcepition

ADF_FACES-60097:For more information, please see the server's error log for an entry beginning with ADF_FACES-60096:Server Exception during PPR, #456

I believe that Vodafone are aware of this error and are investigating.

Edited by TheHorseman (Sat 26-Nov-16 17:44:27)

Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Nov-16 20:28:16
Print Post

Hipefully they'll hurry up and fix it!

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
Working on BallZ #GO!
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 30-Nov-16 18:13:47
Print Post

Well I hope it sorted out now, I was sent another e-mail i've from them before with a new order number and a new activation date of 12 Dec. It was 8th Dec before there was an issue with my order but at least it is going ahead *fingers crossed*.

I'm not sure what is going on with 'my Vodafone' but hopefully its nothing to important.

Well got 2 router's today, one for the order the VF agent resubmitted for me and one for my original web order which had got struck in the system.
I called them about having 2 routers to check which one I needed to send back to them. They advised that a router gets put in the post automatically by the system when an order is created. They said keep the 2nd router till you know everything is working as they can switch things there end if the 1st router doesn't work and that I can phone them on my line going live date to check on progress if I want.
Impressed with VF customer service so far..lets hope it stays that way as and when I need them.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Dec-16 13:16:29
Print Post

I think they are rather good too. There have been times when Livechat hasn't been available (when it should be), but the forums, whilst cluttered, are good too...

Now with Vodafone
Twitter
Working on BallZ #GO!
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 10:34:09
Print Post

They're not too bad, though the router is not as secure as it should be due to UPNP being on by default. The first day I was with them my house camera was hacked and my VOIP was hit by SIP VICIOUS.

UPNP is now off and is staying that way. A factory reset and change of username and passwords sorted the camera out. SIP VICIOUS has been blocked by changing the local SIP port.

Both the camera and VOIP have been in use since about 2006 without problems until the migration day. Not a coincidence I think.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Mon 05-Dec-16 11:52:55
Print Post

what is UPNP do I need it on to use my phone etc on wi-fi? or anything connected via network cable?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 12:06:50
Print Post

what is UPNP do I need it on to use my phone etc on wi-fi? or anything connected via network cable?
Keep it enabled it's designed to enable port forwarding when it is required. Devices such as webcams commonly need to have port forwarding to enable access remotely.

Things such as skype often forward ports as well via UPNP.
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 13:40:12
Print Post

UPNP is universal plug 'n play and it automatically opens ports for cameras or things like torrents etc. I usually manually port forward in the router. It is a setting on the router - it is in Settings -> cofiguration and scroll down towards the bottom of the page, there is a switch to turn it on or off. You need to select expert mode first in the drop down box (top right).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
(experienced) Mon 05-Dec-16 19:20:43
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

See the section "Access from the Internet" on Wikipedia

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 20:55:24
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I do agree UPNP is not great security but in the home environment it has a place.
Also we should not be using NAT as a security measure, UPNP is not a firewall feature.
Users do not want to setup manual port forwarding.
Disabling UPNP will cause more issues than it is worth for most users.

Specific to the UPNP used on a Vodafone home router can you specify the vulnerabilities affecting it?
(experienced) Mon 05-Dec-16 21:37:18
Print Post

I can use UPNP within my home network without having it enabled on my router. Configuring port forwarding to access a camera is really not that difficult. The vunerabilities of a vodafone router with UPNP switched on were outlined in an earlier post. I am not a customer so I don't have one of their routers. I may become a customer next August when my Plusnet free ADSL broadband deal expires.

Michael Chare
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-16 22:21:44
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Might get one to try it out. I'm a penetration tester so fairly interested in this.

Port forwarding isn't that difficult but when a family has 2 phones each (work and personal), tablets, work laptops and personal laptops, a few ps4s etc all of which might require ports forwarding e.g. for FaceTime, games and Skype it becomes a bit of a headache.

Things like Skype will still work without UPNP but they're likely to perform much worse.

Lookup TCP hole punching when you get a free moment.
The central idea of your post is, disabling UPNP to protect your network.
Does NAT protect a network? The answer is no because it isn't its purpose.
I still strongly recommend against disabling UPNP for most home owners.
BT Talktalk Plusnet Sky Vodafone and virginmedia all have it enabled out of the box for a reason.
(experienced) Tue 06-Dec-16 01:02:30
Print Post

It depends what use you make of you internet connection. In my household we don't play games and hardly use Skype. Security is an important issue. The more difficult you make remote access the better, as there are far to many people with nefarious ambitions.

Michael Chare
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 07-Dec-16 17:51:19
Print Post

apperantly this error and username / password error is to do with not having a service that is live yet
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 10:20:06
Print Post

Yes, it would seem to be the case, mine is now working. I think that Vodafone need to update their website including the sign-up page, as there it suggests that you can follow the order progress on 'My Vodafone'.

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:44:49
Print Post

how are you finding there broadband so far,did you go for fibre 38 or 78?
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-16 16:09:34
Print Post

I'm on the fastest one, the 76. I have found that latency is a little bit higher than Plusnet but still under 20ms. On one day I am sure that speed dropped during peak time, I haven't monitored that too closely though.

Latency is more stable than Plusnet, which had latency spikes even when the connection was being used lightly.

All in all I'm glad I made the move.

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Fri 09-Dec-16 18:04:45
Print Post

Did you get full speed day one ? is your internet speed all over the place?
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-16 22:44:05
Print Post

I'm in sync slightly slower than Plusnet 78.8 rather than 79.9 upload is unchanged at 19999.
speed wise it is a bit variable depending on time of day but not too bad so far. I think I got full speed from day 1.

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Sun 11-Dec-16 11:34:02
Print Post

So my VF fibre is hopefully going live tomorrow, so I 've been looking at the router anyone know what the usb socket is for ?

cheers
(knowledge is power) Sun 11-Dec-16 21:03:14
Print Post

I think that you can connect a usb drive to it and share it across the network.

Standard User wy2k
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-16 17:00:54
Print Post

So my VF when live to day - my stats at the moment are

Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 63904 (Kbps.) 19999 (Kbps.)

Downstream / Upstream
SNR Margin 6.2 dB 6.1 dB
Loop Attenuation 16.6 dB 15.6 dB

Thats 23000 kbps more then I had on SKY 38mb so already happy. But is it likely to increase, over what the next 10 days? if so will it stay at the higher speed at least most of the time?

cheers
Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Mon 12-Dec-16 18:59:55
Print Post

No it will not increase, there is no 10 day training period despite what many ISPs tell you. DLM will be active after a couple of days and will then take action as necessary. So if there are a lot of errors your speed may well decrease.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-16 20:31:14
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Oh if that being the case not saying you wrong just a letter from them said my min guaranteed speed would be 64.61, min download speed 71.17 and max download 74.22.

So have they just put random numbers or is there a chance I will see these speeds?

cheers
Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Tue 13-Dec-16 09:32:55
Print Post

What I was implying is that there is no 10 day training period that will increase the speed. You may get an increase if G.Inp is activated on your line if your cabinet supports it. (ECI cabinets do not at present) I fail to see how any ISP can give any speed guarantee as there are so many factors that can affect the end user. Those figures are a bit of a nonsense, how can you have two different minimum download speeds?
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 10:29:29
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I've no idea how you can have two minimum speeds it's just what it said on the letter form them.
Well what ever my internet speed does in the future as long as it doesn't decrease and the connection is reliable I'm ok with it as it's already faster then what i had before.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Dec-16 10:52:29
Print Post

My money would be on the staying where it is, or decreasing a little as DLM takes effect. No provider can predict the effect of cross-talk too as take-up increases, to do so needs data on where all the other services are and yours is in the cable bundle.

Of course it may be the CPE from Vodafone delivers a more stable connection than the previous one, and thus DLM leaves the line alone.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:07:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just out of interest is there anything there to be concerned about? Anything that's not going to allow me to get even faster speeds assuming i could anyway?
Sorry the info isn't very tidy I just cut and paste it from the router smile.
cheers

DSL Status
This page shows the technical parameters of your DSL connection.
DSL Connection
[deleted]
active
DSL Mode
VDSL
G.993.5 (VDSL)
DSL status information
Line status
Show Time
Link type
Fast path
Bit rate
Downstream Upstream
Actual data rate 63904 (Kbps.) 19999 (Kbps.)
Operating data
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 6.2 dB 6.1 dB
Loop Attenuation 16.6 dB 15.6 dB
Error counter
Indicator name Downstream Upstream
FEC Corrections 13424 0
CRC Error 1647 2424
Statistics
Transmitted Frames Received Frames
Frame Counter 8709291 16537270

Edited by MrSaffron (Tue 13-Dec-16 11:37:49)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Dec-16 11:38:49
Print Post

FEC and CRC errors depending on rate may trigger DLM in the future but difficult to predict

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wy2k
(committed) Wed 14-Dec-16 10:03:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

ok thanks for the info. I'm on day 3 when does DLM start working if it's not already. If it's not to much trouble what is DLM? i mean how does it affect my internet ? when does it kick in .. how long does it take to change my internet one way or the other?? etc etc

cheers

Edited by wy2k (Wed 14-Dec-16 10:03:47)

Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Dec-16 16:15:57
Print Post

Dynamic Line Management

is a pretty good explanation.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-Dec-16 13:01:29
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Though a warning, the DLM systems for BT Wholesale ADSL2+ is NOT the same as for Openreach VDSL2

Short answer...

After two days if the DLM was to intervene you'd have expected to see the big drop, but nothing changes to stop it intervening if it needs to at any later date.

For you as a you user the aim of DLM is to produce an error free stable experience, which is generally good, but for those that want the fastest number the two targets may not agree. DLM is about ensuring stable error free video streaming put simply not squeezing the last bit of speed out a line.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to