User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 12:31:19
Print Post

Migration complete.

[link to this post]

I was moved from Plusnet to Vodafone BB yesterday at approx 06:30am. I have noticed that browsing is faster and my online backup has not yet lost connection to the backup server (which it did regularly on Plusnet). Admittedly it happened on large(ish) uploads and I haven't really hit the Vodafone connection with a big one yet.

On thing I will say is that the Vodafone router came with UPNP enabled as a default, this is BAD for security. I discovered it when my VOIP was hit by SIP VICIOUS. It scans for open voip ports and rings any voip phone connected, really annoying.

I also think that someone has hacked my house cam because of it too. I can no longer access it. So when I get home tonight it is a full reset of the cam and a setup with different usernames and passwords.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User Stefan338
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:08:46
Print Post

Re: Migration complete.

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Can you disable UPNP from the router web interface? I'm moving to Vodafone soon and I would like to disable it ASAP.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User AdrianPH
(member) Wed 30-Nov-16 13:59:27
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

UPNP on modern routers is no problem at all in the home network. The old UPNP problems were down to it being available on the Wan and also the miss-configured Windows computers.

You just need to be sure none of the devices on your Lan are infected.

Your camera probably won't work as you turned UPNP off.

Asus now have UPNP on by default.

You can check your router against the UPNP exploit page at GRC.com >> UPNP TEST

I have UPNP on and always have, my router is not vulnerable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 14:06:45
Print Post

[re: Stefan338] [link to this post]

Yes, it can be disabled in the web interface. Mine is.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-Nov-16 14:16:20
Print Post

[re: AdrianPH] [link to this post]

In the home network upnp is useful but not when it appears to connect to the wan interface. Turning it off has stopped the attack on my voip system.

A virus/rootkit scan is running now on the main machine.

The reason I think the camera has been hacked is that I can access the login but the password is rejected (remote access available - port forwarding). I also heard the camera move when I had not requested it (pan/tilt cam).

ETA: The Vodafone router is a Huawei HHG2500 with custom firmware.

Edited by TheHorseman (Wed 30-Nov-16 15:16:31)

Print Thread

Jump to