User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Thu 08-Dec-16 18:04:26
Print Post

New customer - new phone number?

[link to this post]

Placed a order for the VF 76mb service to replace my current BT Infinity 2 connection. Ordered it all online, and have router delivered along with a letter today saying I am getting a new phone number!

At no point during the signup process did I request one and just assumed my current land line number would move over.

Have I missed something? Service activation date isn't until 17th January so have a while to sort out any issues!

Many thanks.
Standard User 23Prince
(committed) Thu 08-Dec-16 21:43:56
Print Post

Re: New customer - new phone number?

[re: jroadley] [link to this post]

DO they use BT? If not they could use their own numbers on their own network.

But on the same exchange even a housemove can still have the same number so no idea why you can't?
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Fri 09-Dec-16 09:38:21
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Cancelled the order. Also all the hassle of not being able to use your own router was a deal breaker. When I phoned to cancel they didn't even question it. Just gotta return the router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-16 10:14:12
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I think that they use the old Cable & Wireless (C&W) network so it is full MPF. (The old Bulldog network I think). You can move your existing BT number to them (I have). In the sign-up there is a bit about keeping your old number. There is a box to enter your existing phone number if you want to keep it, if you leave it blank you get a new number. (It does tell you this).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User jroadley
(regular) Fri 09-Dec-16 10:16:11
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheHorseman:
I think that they use the old Cable & Wireless (C&W) network so it is full MPF. (The old Bulldog network I think). You can move your existing BT number to them (I have). In the sign-up there is a bit about keeping your old number. There is a box to enter your existing phone number if you want to keep it, if you leave it blank you get a new number. (It does tell you this).

Did all that...
Standard User Stefan338
(newbie) Fri 09-Dec-16 10:20:58
Print Post

I cancelled my order as well because I couldn't keep my old number. They couldn't tell me if I had ticked the box to keep my old number and they didn't know what was going to happen with it. However, Sky (my old provider) told me that the number was going to be cancelled and not transferred.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-16 11:12:55
Print Post

Odd, as far as I know I still have my old number (I have had no notification that it would change). However, I shall check when I get home from work today. It looks like it is a bit hit and miss as to whether you get to keep your old number.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2 -> Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra -> Vodafone 76
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 09-Dec-16 11:40:45
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

My mate from from Sky to VF and kept his old number. However he was told that if he leaves VF they not allow the number to move to another provider.

That might just be VF customer service teams being rubbish as they don't seem to know their @rse from their elbow most of the time. "yes you can you your own router", "no you can't...", "yes you can...", "yes you can can". and so on!

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Dec-16 14:13:45
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
My mate from from Sky to VF and kept his old number. However he was told that if he leaves VF they not allow the number to move to another provider.

That would be against Ofcom rules. The losing provider is obliged to make the number available to the gaining provider, although the gaining provider is not obliged to take it.

Oliver.
Standard User chippy
(learned) Sat 17-Dec-16 22:05:29
Print Post

I have just move on to Vodafone broadband fibre 76 from virgin media. Vodafone first told me I was able to keep my virgin number because it was an old BT number. But now everything has gone live they say that they are having trouble doing the number port because its from a cable network and not a BT line. Virgin have told me that the number is waiting for vodafone to take it over.

Has anyone had this problem?

I am not sure what I should do now.

Edited by chippy (Sat 17-Dec-16 22:52:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to