User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fuzzbass2000
(newbie) Wed 12-Apr-17 11:31:30
Print Post

Thinking about joining Vodafone

[link to this post]

Hi - I'm thinking about switching to Vodafone from Demon Internet.

Can anyone let me know their experience of using the 38mb Vodafone service

- how is the supplied router
- how do things go with things like P2P
- running VPNs over the service
- speeds in general... are they pretty solid / constant
- is there an AUP somewhere

cheers

Edited by fuzzbass2000 (Wed 12-Apr-17 11:47:02)

Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Wed 12-Apr-17 20:30:38
Print Post

Re: Thinking about joining Vodafone

[re: fuzzbass2000] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fuzzbass2000:
Hi - I'm thinking about switching to Vodafone from Demon Internet.

Can anyone let me know their experience of using the 38mb Vodafone service

- how is the supplied router
Fine for me, currently on 18 days PPP session uptime, but there are lots of grumbles all over the web - I can only assume it is line dependent. Wifi coverage is reasonable.
- how do things go with things like P2P
Fine
- running VPNs over the service
Fine
- speeds in general... are they pretty solid / constant
There has been some single thread slowness at times but generally fine
- is there an AUP somewhere
Not that I have seen
cheers

Answers above - I am on Fibre 76 and sync at 75mbps.

Edited by Adrianuk (Wed 12-Apr-17 20:32:47)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 01:05:19
Print Post

The router appears to be poor at handling large wifi networks, and it is next to impossible to get Vodafone to tell you your userid and password which you would need to use your own equipment.

There is now a Broadband and Home Phone section on the Vodafone forum. You can create an account if you want to ask a question. The section is new. Previous threads are in the Pay Monthly section.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 13-Apr-17 01:29:53
Print Post

Re: Thinking about joining Vodafone *DELETED*

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Post deleted by fuzzbass2000
(newbie) Thu 13-Apr-17 01:30:47
Print Post

Hi - when I spoke to them I was led to believe it would be ok to swap out their device for one of my own choosing. I guess to be able to do that I would need userid / password so am interested to read your comments about it being impossible to get those details.

Are you able to give me an indication of how it might be possible to get them if I needed them?
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Apr-17 11:26:35
Print Post

The sales staff are known for saying that you can use your own equipment when in fact the support staff will not supply the details you need. Ringing the support staff half a dozen times and complaining about the wifi or other router faults might get you what you want.

Michael Chare
Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 18-Apr-17 12:01:25
Print Post

I went round and round the houses with Vodafone - they told me I could use my own equipment and they would supply the required connection details. I even have an email from the sales team confirming they would tell me.

When I tried to get the connection details support said no. The cancellation team then said "Oh, you can have those details...." Basically vodafone refuse to give out connection details (a few people got lucky in the past).

Sky Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-700
(Gone but not forgotten: 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User jroadley
(member) Tue 18-Apr-17 14:31:59
Print Post

I was in same boat, ready to rock and roll with Vodafone, but they couldn't port my landline number over. Ended up going with TalkTalk using my own kit as they don't use username/password. Rock solid connection.
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Apr-17 20:05:03
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

So you manged to get your connection details from the cancellation team? If so that was well done.

Michael Chare
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 19-Apr-17 22:41:57
Print Post

sadly not, as technical then denied the request. I cancelled my ordered and went back to Sky for a cheaper deal and I'm able to use my own equipment.

Speedtests:
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Apr-17 11:21:13
Print Post

A lot of people extracted their Sky passwords from the Sky Hub by sniffing the authentication packets from the Ethernet port when it is disconnected from the internet.

Has anyone tried this with the Vodafone router?

Oliver.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 11:33:07
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I guess this depends if the router is setup to accept an openreach modem, plenty are not nowadays. If I had a device I would happily try some things out on it.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 20-Apr-17 16:13:12
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I've got one of their routers as Vodafone haven't yet sent me the return bag for it.....

One of my mates has a router and was able to get VF to tell him the connection details (very early fibre customer), so I guess I could have a play - if I had time...

Speedtests:
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 16:18:55
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
I've got one of their routers as Vodafone haven't yet sent me the return bag for it.....

One of my mates has a router and was able to get VF to tell him the connection details (very early fibre customer), so I guess I could have a play - if I had time...
Give it a go, do you know does it accept an openreach modem? If so you can likely see the traffic by firing up a wireshark. The hardest part is probably knowing what the username / password is (format of it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcsmYX7eEQ

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 20-Apr-17 16:19:51)

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Apr-17 16:36:48
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
The hardest part is probably knowing what the username / password is (format of it).
The likelihood is that CHAP is used, which does not send the password over the network. Instead, the server end sends a challenge with an ID and data. The client sends back a cryptographic hash that combines that ID and data with the secret (password). The server compares that hash with one it calculates itself - if they match, authentication succeeds.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User jdigz7
(learned) Tue 02-May-17 04:51:46
Print Post

I considered when i moved back to my parents. I've had about 3 Calls from their sales for fibre broadband as i'm with vodafone for my mobile which i can only describe as straight up rude. Definitely the most aggressive sales calls I've had to deal with constantly challenging what you tell them and still trying to give you information when you tell them you are not interested. Ended up putting in a complaint in as it was 3 calls in 2 days and 3 different people more ignorant and obnoxious as eachother.
Standard User TLMC
(member) Mon 22-May-17 17:42:21
Print Post

we moved house and has a choice between BT and Vodafone for fibre. When called BT they told me the exchange was full and therefore would have to go to 3.4 meg connection. Told them to stuff that so went with Vodafone at half the price. On the fibre 76 and been rock solid on 50.2 for the last two weeks (had problems with the openreach part of the line and took them a while to find and resolve the problem. Vodafone were excellent and kept me up to date and restarted the learning period so I could get a higher speed. Very happy with the service and the support received
Standard User dewt
(learned) Fri 26-May-17 10:04:59
Print Post

[re: TLMC] [link to this post]

I agree with you on how helpful they are. I've been with them for about 8 months. There were pre-existing problems on the Openreach side of things and my two previous ISPs simply accepted what they were told by Openreach. Vodafone didn't and kept pushing which ended up with Openreach replacing a faulty section of line. It may have taken a long time but they are nearly as pig-headed as I am when it comes to problems. While my problems are not completely solved they are less than before and Vodafone have given me a permanent get out of contract card.

On the downside they can be bad at giving feedback and do fail to call back as promised every now and then and they are also quite adamant about not using other equipment with them.

Overall I'd suggest they are a contender if you are not in a rural area and don't want to use your own equipment.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to