User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mbames
(member) Wed 20-Dec-17 17:22:32
Print Post

Single thread issue

[link to this post]

Seems that come the evening Single Thread issues hit vodafone?

Rubbish early evening performance:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15137903085...

Working one later yesterday evening:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15137199167...

Initially I thought this was a wireless issue at home, but just experienced it on my wired machine, which was testing fine yesterday. Anyone else experiencing this?

Vodafone Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net

Edited by mbames (Wed 20-Dec-17 17:24:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Dec-17 09:46:18
Print Post

Re: Single thread issue

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Past experience suggests that you need to ensure you can describe how this impacts on some daily task, as providers are increasingly just citing testing that uses massively multithreaded results.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 21-Dec-17 12:52:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Pretty sure that Cisco AnyConnect will be impacted as it makes a single connection back to the mothership for secure comms.

If this only happens in the evenings it won't be too much of an issue, but if it occurs during the day then working from home could be seriously hampered.

Speedtests:

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Dec-17 13:27:55
Print Post

At which point many consumer ISP will say they don't support business use and turn their backs.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 21-Dec-17 14:36:59
Print Post

Just started a download from my MSDN account - 6hrs for a 2.6GB DVD iso.
~150KB/s according to Chrome

Although a single thread test has just been significantly better than it was an hour or two ago:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15138667368...

So basically Vodafone are suggesting the way to download files is via a torrent, as it stands, this service is basically worthless at random points during the day. What I can't understand is why sometimes the TBB single thread test is slow - possibly 10 times slower than the multi-thread and other times it isn't. Any thoughts?

*edit*
A few minutes after I started the ISO download, I also kicked off the VS2017 installer, which downloads lots of small files. That has downloaded just over 1.3GB in 6 minutes, where the ISO download has managed a stonking 128MB in about 10 minutes blush

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Thu 21-Dec-17 14:47:31)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Dec-17 15:11:32
Print Post

Why 10 times slower when just 6 to 8 downloads in multi thread?

Without real time access to everything end to end impossible to say, and if issue is congestion which looks likely then the effects can vary greatly unless its a real network meltdown where they are sat at 100% utilisation 100% of the time.

If it gets to the point that video is buffering then you have a easier route to complain as that is a very common use, and it may be that this is fine e.g. if lots of on-net video caches then actual issue may be the routes through and out of Vodafone - a similar scenario to what Virgin Media have had on/off for ages.

Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 21-Dec-17 16:09:44
Print Post

It is a tad odd to say the least and if you fire up speedtest.net (the vodafone mandated tool for speed checks), it connects to their newbury servers and offers great results even when other downloads struggle (guess it uses many concurrent downloads to help make the internet look to be a faster place than it really is!)

That kind of implies there aren't local issues, but it is all in Vodafone's breakouts from the old C&W network to the real internet....

I have a SamKnows box, so will be interesting to see how that sees things from the change over from Sky to VF.

*edit - 16:15*
ISO download now at steaming along at ~90Kb/s, eta 6hrs (still!) with a massive 962MB download!

ran a speed test.net against IO Mart, which showed a download speed of 13.88Mbps from the normal vf ~36Mbps (upload was better though!). Definitely looks like it is their "connectivity" to the rest of the world!

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Thu 21-Dec-17 16:20:27)

Standard User zhango
(regular) Fri 22-Dec-17 18:39:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
Seems that come the evening Single Thread issues hit vodafone?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes I do experience this - I've been with Vodafone for 3 months and the evening Single Thread speed is usually slow but at all other times in day I get max speed.
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/but...

I was with BT for 2 years and there was no difference in speed at any time of day - I got max speed at all times and the fibre box is directly outside my property.

This isn't a problem for me and I'm pleased with the service particularly the price.
Standard User jcrocker
(newbie) Thu 11-Jan-18 13:26:27
Print Post

Real men download using curl and wget wink I have often found these more reliable than using a web browser..
Standard User jcrocker
(newbie) Thu 11-Jan-18 13:28:52
Print Post

Crumbs!

I'm thinking of switching from Talktalk to Vodafone next month, not sure now after seeing those speeds!

I can download a ISO a lot faster on Talktalk.

Can't you tell speedtest to connect elsewhere?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to