User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-18 10:05:39
Print Post

Re: Vodafone modem or Draytek Vigor 130

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

In which case yes using the Vigor 130 as modem and your router is fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mbames
(member) Thu 26-Apr-18 11:08:05
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Some of the Vodafone backhaul links are clearly overloaded. If you find that happens, it could be prudent to take advantage of the option to cancel the contract in the first month without having to pay an early termination charge.

I'm on one of these links which is overloaded, but not enough for VF to upgrade it. I went though an interesting conversation with one of their customer service guys, and he basically told me the best bet was a leave and use another provider. They would even pay my migration fees. However, I opted for an upgrade to the upto 78service, which seems to work significantly better than the upto 38.

During the day it is speedy and good, and in the evenings you can notice some lag. Single thread speed tests can be pretty nasty, but multi-threaded it seems fine. Not so great for streaming tv....

The CS guy said you should be able to ask your proposed new broadband supplier if they are experiencing backhaul link issues before signing up.... I keep meaning to pop into the Vodafone shop in town and ask them.

Vodafone Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-18 19:26:45
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

I am surprised that you got a better speed in that situation after the upgrade. Fortunately so far I have not suffered from poor back haul. I have the 38Mbps product. My max connection speed is about 48Mbps. I was able to watch Netflix 4K without any problem.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 27-Apr-18 16:12:02
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

It is was strange, but I work from home during the day where the backhaul is generally fine, so the added upload speed was a bonus.

It almost seems that being on a the faster product you get twice as much of the backhaul capacity cf a upto 38 customer, so when it is at capacity the faster customers still get more throughput than the slower ones.

Speedtests:
Standard User mbames
(member) Sat 28-Apr-18 22:38:47
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Here is an example of Vodafone in the evening.... See the really poor single thread test, which then seems to abort.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/15249513556...

Speedtests:

Edited by mbames (Sat 28-Apr-18 22:41:18)

Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Tue 21-Aug-18 07:58:24
Print Post

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

I use the Netgear DM200 as a modem, £35 works well and gives a slightly higher speed than the Vodafone router. I've only been live for a week, but can confirm that the Vodafone router syncs lower than a 3rd party one.

The Vodafone CS guys would only give me the password and username if I could give them a Openreach approved router/modem model number. So just make sure you have the list to hand if the Draytek isn't on the approved list.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to