User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ubernick
(newbie) Sun 06-May-18 22:43:03
Print Post

Business customers: own modem with PPPoE useful info/rant

[link to this post]

Some potentially useful info for business tariff customers wanting to user their own modem:

I requested my PPPoE details to use with a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem the other day via the online chat facility and was given:
username@broadband.vodafone.co.uk

Authentication failed.

So I ask again in another chat. Same details; same result.

Searching my email for the password to ensure I have copied and pasted it correctly, it turns out Vodafone sent the details automatically shortly after setting up the account.

From a "(no subject)" email:
Please note : if you have purchased a Consumer broadband package please add “broadband.co.uk” to the end of your username. If you have purchased a business broadband package please use ''businessbroadband.co.uk''

So, different username format.. I'll give that a try.. Authentication failed.

Finally, do the (now) obvious and try username@businessbroadband.vodafone.co.uk.. It works!

Beggars believe that Vodafone: 1. Haven't checked their automated email for obvious inaccuracies and would send a no-subject email to new customers, and 2. their own tech support can extract wrong details from their own systems.

/Rant over.

Edited by ubernick (Sun 06-May-18 22:44:16)

Standard User bowdon
(committed) Mon 07-May-18 11:46:45
Print Post

Re: Business customers: own modem with PPPoE useful info/ran

[re: ubernick] [link to this post]

I'm glad you got it sorted.

I was looking across some sites of how to setup the PPPoE settings (I hadnt fully read your message) and noticed some other people wasn't supplied anything other than their username and password. They didnt get anything after the @

A suspicious mind might think they are doing this to gently dissuade people using third party modems/routers.

Demon => Freeserve => Pipex => Be => Sky => BT Infinity 2
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-May-18 15:52:45
Print Post

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bowdon:
I was looking across some sites of how to setup the PPPoE settings (I hadnt fully read your message) and noticed some other people wasn't supplied anything other than their username and password. They didnt get anything after the @

A suspicious mind might think they are doing this to gently dissuade people using third party modems/routers.
Just a mistake I would think. Vodafone changed their policy on using 3rd party equipment about a year ago. You are likely to be asked which equipment on the BT Sin 498 list you intend to use but no checks are made to ensure that you actually do that. I don't think that the equipment that BT customers are supplied with is on this list!

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mbames
(member) Tue 08-May-18 14:50:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

When I was "told" my username, vodafone technical support managed to forget the @ and everything to the right of it!

Vodafone Fibre (40/10), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User jabuzzard
(regular) Tue 08-May-18 15:46:53
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

BT cannot legally enforce SIN 498 on anything. To do so would be breaking a number of laws. Most significantly the certification of compliance for telecommunications equipment is done at an E.U. wide level and we have not yet left. It's not much of a single market if as a manufacture of a VDSL router/modem I have to get it certified in all 28 E.U. member states. This is why all the BABT approved stickers have gone.

No telecommunications operator is legally allowed to tack anything on top of that under any circumstances, period.
  Print Thread

Jump to