User comments on ISPs
  >> Vodafone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chalky123
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-19 17:04:02
Print Post

Gigafast

[link to this post]

Our area will be getting Gigafast this year. Does anyone know if speeds are restricted i.e usenet or streaming ?
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Jan-19 04:42:27
Print Post

Re: Gigafast

[re: chalky123] [link to this post]

when I spoke to an advisor about my install he said it was completely unlimited with no restrictions so interpret that how you like.

although It seems that I have to wait a bit longer for install as my actual distribution point isn't enabled yet but it should be in the next 2 to 3 months.
Standard User chalky123
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-19 11:00:30
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, can you keep me informed as to what it is like once you get connected. Many thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RedOnRed
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-19 14:33:39
Print Post

I had my Vodafone Gigafast installed on Weds 02/02 morning here in north Milton Keynes. It seems pretty good but with a few concerns.

The Vodafone router seems OK so far and appears to be stable and providing much improved wifi speeds. I have been able to manually change the DNS on it and the overall speeds that I'm getting are much better than before but I've yet to see anything like the 900 mbps that I'm supposed to be getting. Having said that, the main gigafast connection into the property and new router have been installed at the back of our TV which isn't a position that I'm easily able to connect a device directly into for testing. So all my tests are going through gigabit switches and gigabit powerline adapters and generally wifi, where the optimal speeds are unlikely to be achieved. I will have to connect a laptop to it when I get a chance.

However, my main PC which is upstairs and is connected directly to a gigabit powerline adapter is getting wildly fluctuating speed tests. Anything from a respectable few hundred up and down to less than 10 or 5 mbps. Oddly, whatever the result, I haven't noticed any real world slow downs in performance. Maybe it's just a case of early days and letting things settle down a bit. We'll see.

It did take me quite a bit longer than expected for me to reconfigure everything onto the new network and I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, but it looks like I've got there. Not sure how someone less so would manage.

One thing that concerns me is that if the new router rather than the line does go down then there's a lot going down with it as the phone also runs through it. Just waiting for the old phone number to move over to the new system.

I'm new to Vodafone as an ISP and so far I've had no welcome email or updates, or progress reports on how the service is moving over, etc. The original sign-up letter that I received doesn't even have a clear contact number for them and when I do speak to them I'm not entirely convinced that they know what they're talking about. Hopefully my old number will get transfered OK.
Standard User max360
(regular) Fri 04-Jan-19 14:44:14
Print Post

[re: RedOnRed] [link to this post]

Congrats!!. Any pictures of the installation i.e. ONT, splice point?

ISP: PlusNet: Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps - Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps. Ping: 9ms.
Line Stats: Line attenuation Down: 7.8db Up: 8.7db

Stechford (CMSTE) Cab 24 - Funded Privately (Community Partnership).

Birmingham Fibre First Program: FTTP - Order placed for the BT Ultra fast fibre 2 plus package - 330Mb down 50Mb up.

Edited by max360 (Fri 04-Jan-19 14:44:41)

Standard User mbames
(member) Fri 04-Jan-19 16:36:44
Print Post

[re: max360] [link to this post]

There should be no "settling in" phase. It should be top speed from the start. To be fair, I'd ditch those powerline units if you can.

Vodafone Fibre (Superfast2 - 80/20), Draytek 130, DrayTek 2925, DrayTek AP-910c x 2
(Gone but not forgotten: AP-700, 2820n x 2, 2800vg, 2800, HG612)

Speedtests:
ThinkBB - Mini | ThinkBB - Full | Speedtest.net
Standard User chalky123
(newbie) Fri 04-Jan-19 17:09:02
Print Post

[re: RedOnRed] [link to this post]

Are you able to setup a VPN on the vodafone router ?
Standard User RedOnRed
(committed) Fri 04-Jan-19 17:34:58
Print Post

No router VPN config option by the looks of it.
Standard User Bryer
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-19 20:08:17
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

Yeah ditch the powerlines and go for mesh Wi-Fi if you can.
Standard User ffgmat
(newbie) Sun 13-Jan-19 00:02:56
Print Post

hi
I am from Milton Keynes and I have fibre line from 07.january. My connection 100Mbit/s download 100Mbit/s upload
Speed :
Speedtest.net Result

I have a problem with downloading files, should be 12.5MB/s and max I have 2MB/s. Downloading on port 80 works fine , any other ports have same limits? download 2MB/s upload full speed 12.5MB/s.
Customer service said- That is not their fault ( thats not true )

http://www.ovh.net/files/ I have max 2MB/s ( should be 12.5MB/s )

http://speedtest.tele2.net -- easy way to test FTP upload/download. Same result for me

Edited by ffgmat (Sun 13-Jan-19 00:08:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to