Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Tue 16-Mar-10 17:12:21
Print Post

Tesco Internet Phone

[link to this post]

It look like Tesco are ending the Tesco Internet Phone service.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=...

They have also confirmed this to me in an email
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Mar-10 16:04:17
Print Post

Re: Tesco Internet Phone

[re: kevinrduke] [link to this post]

Not good, the system was generally easy to use, and have one unit that runs in the US

Mmm now what will happen to credit in an account

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Fri 19-Mar-10 16:23:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am not sure about the Credit as I pay a monthly amount.

They have told me though that they will give at least 30 days noticed of closure once the date has been finalised.

Now I am just waiting to hear from siemens to se if I can unlock my DP450.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Thu 25-Mar-10 16:55:59
Print Post

I have just got the email confirming that 27th April 2010 is when they close the service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Mar-10 16:57:21
Print Post

OFFICIAL

Had the closure email,

So thats one ATA and dual USB system to go in the bin, wonder what that does to my cost per minute on calls.

But then the service has been playing up of late.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-10 13:27:25
Print Post

Re: OFFICIAL

VoiceHost are offering a solution to your problem.

We are a VoIP provider based in Norwich and want to help all current Tesco customers who have had this dissapointing news.

We can offer you cheaper call rates and a UK based Support team to help with your problems.

If you are a current Tesco customer, we are also able to set your account up for free plus offer you many other bonuses.

If you want to know more about what we can do for you, please eithor e-mail myself or call us free on 0800 52 00 878

Regards,

Adam

adam.webb@voicehost.co.uk

Edited by VoiceHost (Mon 29-Mar-10 13:29:47)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 29-Mar-10 13:30:09
Print Post

[re: VoiceHost] [link to this post]

welcome to TBB wink

can you work with the Tesco provider locked Siemens DECT/VoIP phones ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User HughJ
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-10 13:55:36
Print Post

Hi

As a long time user of Tesco Internet Phone I was saddened to finally get te shutdow nnotice.

I have been in touch with the service desk as they do not seem to have dealt with one very simple isue - what about the localised telephone numbers which seemingly we will not be able to "port" to anotherVOIP provider.

This is major nuisance for me as I had used the phone numbr I had to develop a small business which has led to my having nearly 400 contacts who use my number to "buy" advice from me. It is not a major "company" but I do supplement my pension quite well with it and now I am faced with trying to undo the mess Tesco are leaving me with. Added to that I had provided Tesco phonesfor a number of family members throughout te world...

If anyone hd managed to get some feedback on this I would e grateful - so far a large number of emails have gone unheeded, the clock is ticking Tesco!

H
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-10 14:00:15
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I have contacted Gigaset (Siemens) and have asked if they can unlock the DP450.

They have escalated it to their second level and I am waiting a further reply.

Also have a look from post #17 onwards here.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=...

Edited by kevinrduke (Mon 29-Mar-10 14:01:47)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 29-Mar-10 14:55:52
Print Post

Also have a look from post #17 onwards here.

thanks, looks interesting.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-10 17:29:12
Print Post

If your handset is "new" it will be using SIP and as such is compatible with our service. If it's an old handset it will be using IAX and will not work with our service. However if this is the case we have a very good range of DECT and desk phones in our store and would be happy to come to some sort of arrangement over price.

With regards Geographic numbers you might have, BT have stated they are able to port the numbers to our service, you just need to fill in a form for us to do this for you.

For further information or any questions just email support@voicehost.co.uk or call us for FREE on 0800-52-00-878
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Mar-10 17:41:00
Print Post

[re: HughJ] [link to this post]

For me its the IPA 1000 sent abroad that is proving the problem.

Skype looks a good solution, but handsets cost a lot, best low cost bet for me seems to be an old mobile with WiFi support, that is also Skype compatible.

Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-10 17:56:07
Print Post

I have just gone over to Skype and it seems to be working ok at the moment.
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Tue 30-Mar-10 09:41:14
Print Post

[re: HughJ] [link to this post]

VoiceHost are able to port your tesco numbers for you.

You may also be able to use your current phone on our VoIP platform.

If you would like to e-mail me on adam.webb@voicehost.co.uk and inform me of the phone you currently have i may be able to help you.
Standard User wifigeek
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Mar-10 02:42:50
Print Post

you can already make these work.

forge the SIP DNS address that your phone registers against to an IP of your asterisk/other voip telephony server.
Standard User wifigeek
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Mar-10 02:43:32
Print Post

I dont think you understand..

these tescos voip handsets are locked to tesco. i.e. to tesco's SIP server address.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Apr-10 20:45:00
Print Post

I have not used my Tesco voip for months, to be honest I think it must be 12 months or more and I still got the original £5. in the account.

I got it as I thought it would be a cheap way to phone my cousin in the states if I got her one as well, worked ok for a while, but we found Skype to be just as good.

considering Voange myself, but not sure about it yet.

I still got the old Tesco voip handset, which works with Skye as a handset, but I can't use it to dial, there was patch for the handset, but it won't work with the new skype.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64 bit, laptop by ubuntu
BTBroadbandanywhere type package, when it works.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 02-Apr-10 13:34:47
Print Post

[re: wifigeek] [link to this post]

will have to look for the DNS settings on the handset.....

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User sean2003
(experienced) Tue 06-Apr-10 14:01:47
Print Post

The Siemens phones do work with a DNS trick.

If you wish to use yours on the service of www.voipfone.co.uk feel free to PM me for set up info.
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-10 09:54:52
Print Post

Re: OFFICIAL *DELETED*

[re: sean2003] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User kevinrduke
(regular) Thu 08-Apr-10 15:13:25
Print Post

I have received the official Unlock process for the Tesco DP450.

If anyone would like it then download from here (I may have to remive link if I get any complaints)

http://downloads.kevinduke.co.uk/

This was received from Gigaset via a Support Request I submitted and I am not linked with any VOIP provider.

Edited by kevinrduke (Thu 08-Apr-10 18:25:34)

Standard User ArronSelf
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-10 15:44:17
Print Post

I, like everyone else, have been considerably worried about this Tesco Internet Phone closure.

On a personal note however, I would highly recommened voicehost. They are currently in the process of transfering my number across to their platform. They also gave me a lot of help unlocking my DP450 this morning.

If anyone is wishing to go through the same process, I would definitely give voicehost some consideration.

Thanks guys.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 08-Apr-10 16:49:48
Print Post

[re: ArronSelf] [link to this post]

what are their rates to mobiles, do they bill per second, is their a call connection or minimum charge.

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Thu 08-Apr-10 17:07:37
Print Post

I cant really post on here what our prices are because previous posts have been deleted due to advertising apparently!!!!

If you want to know more get in touch adam.webb@voicehost.co.uk and i will inform anyone of anything they need to know.

THIS ISNT AN ADVERT
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Apr-10 21:11:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by VoiceHost:
If you want to know more get in touch adam.webb@voicehost.co.uk and i will inform anyone of anything they need to know.
What's your relationship with ArronSelf?
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Fri 09-Apr-10 08:57:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Arron wanted help with unlocking his DP450 and porting his telephone number, which is exactly what we managed to do!!!
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 09-Apr-10 11:57:21
Print Post

I was asking Arron as a user

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User tonyintenerife
(newbie) Sat 10-Apr-10 17:43:43
Print Post

Voicehost

I have to praise voicehost, they have helped me unlock my DP450 which is a real bonus because as far as Tesco's was concerned it was just going to become a piece of junk. Now voicehost are in the process of hopefully porting my number which will make me a very happy chappy!

Very impressed with their response times and the support guys really seem to know what they are doing, unlike tesco support!

Tony
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 10-Apr-10 18:06:47
Print Post

Re: Voicehost

[re: tonyintenerife] [link to this post]

well to answer my own question with facts, rather than praise :-

9p/min to mobiles
1.5p min call charge
All prices quoted exclude VAT

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Mon 12-Apr-10 09:00:52
Print Post

Re: Voicehost

In reply to a post by yarwell:
well to answer my own question with facts, rather than praise :-

9p/min to mobiles
1.5p min call charge
All prices quoted exclude VAT

Yes this is correct HOWEVER please remember that Freshtel went down the pan because of the prices they were offering.
We would like to continue in the market therefore offer the competitive prices you see above.
Extensions are cheap and unlike many other VoIP providers all you pay for is what you use.
Hope this answers everyones questions,
Regards,
Adam
Standard User mpb
(newbie) Wed 21-Apr-10 23:33:29
Print Post

Can anyone provide some clarity re porting numbers from TIP to other VOIP providers given the latest information released today?

How i read it is that this will now not be possible for at least 6 months until they are re-allocated in batches by OFCOM.

Does anyone have a workaround for retaining ownership of our numbers after April 27th or 6 months down the line?
Standard User Fittzzy
(newbie) Sat 24-Apr-10 12:42:06
Print Post

[re: mpb] [link to this post]

This has been a farce. TESCO have behaved disgracefully in the way it has treated customers especially with the total lack of response or infomation. To top it Ofcom have been useless and seem to want to wash their hands of responsibility. Why 6 months holding of the numbers. I am so angry about this whole saga and would urge people to let tesco know: email: Sir Terry Leahy terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com

His office do read and reply to these emails especially when you tell them you are unhappy and will shop elsewhere ! The next part of the saga is Voicehost: they are saying they can port the numbers if true then great. If it turns out this is propaganda and marketing hype; then hell has no fury like an angry person with the character of a bulldog !!
(newbie) Mon 26-Apr-10 21:44:28
Print Post

[re: Fittzzy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fittzzy:
This has been a farce. TESCO have behaved disgracefully in the way it has treated customers especially with the total lack of response or infomation. To top it Ofcom have been useless and seem to want to wash their hands of responsibility. Why 6 months holding of the numbers. I am so angry about this whole saga and would urge people to let tesco know: email: Sir Terry Leahy terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com

His office do read and reply to these emails especially when you tell them you are unhappy and will shop elsewhere ! The next part of the saga is Voicehost: they are saying they can port the numbers if true then great. If it turns out this is propaganda and marketing hype; then hell has no fury like an angry person with the character of a bulldog !!

I sent an email to Terry Leahy as you suggested letting him know how disappointed I am in teh way that Tesco's have treated their customers. Losing the number I have had since they started the service is a big loss and will no doubt lose me a lot of calls when they switch it off tomorrow.

Having said all that on the bright side I switched my DP450 to voicehost who I now have a geographical number with and the phone is much improved compared to what Tesco's have been like the last few months. First time connections every time and proper ringing tones which is a big improvement on the way my Tesco phone has been working recently!
(newbie) Sun 02-May-10 16:53:05
Print Post

Apparently Tesco's Freshtel, Ofcom and Voicehost had sorted a deal to move all the numbers to voicehost so that they could be allocated or ported. This was supposed to happen on Friday last or Tuesday 4th of May at the latest but at the 9th hour Freshtel went and sold the whole UK business including all our numbers to someone else!

Personally that is the last straw for me and as the call quality is so good with Voicehost I have decided to stick with them and a new geographical number. Throughout they have behaved impecably and given me brilliant service so they deserve the credit.

Tesco's and Freshtel and whoever owns my number now know where they can stick it!
Standard User VoiceHost
(newbie) Wed 02-Jun-10 15:00:45
Print Post

We are finally now in a position to have your ex Tesco / Freshtel telephone numbers allocated to our network.

So, if you are an ex-customer of either of those companies and would like to use your old phone numbers again via the VoiceHost service then please send an email to: -

tesco@voicehost.co.uk

Please include the telephone number you would like to claim and your VoiceHost account number. If you have more than five numbers, please enter your numbers into a spreadsheet and attach it to the email so that we can create a full list of all of the number ranges needed.

Any questions on time frames please feel free to email support@voicehost.co.uk
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to