Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User percivjr
(newbie) Sat 22-Jan-11 20:05:18
Print Post

Home Hub 2 driving me mad

[link to this post]

This is probably the wrong forum. My eventual aim is to somehow integrate my landline, Skype and SIP - maybe using Asterisk, maybe a PAP2, I don't know, I've not got that far yet.

I used to have a v1 Home Hub until the WiFi went a bit intermittent but those nice people at BT kindly sent me a v2A replacement. What I found was that, when using the phone socket on the back of the hub with DECT base station plugged in, landline calls became increasingly noisy after 2 or 3 days. Landline calls on a clockwork phone connected directly to the incoming line (i.e not via the home hub) remained fine. Restarting the hub immediately fixed the problem for another 2-3 days when the noise gradually reappeared again. A couple of replacement v2As had identical problems.

So I gave up with the phone socket and tried registering DECT handsets directly with the home hub. No more noisy landline calls. But the problem this time is that some of the DECT handsets would ring for a single cadence only.

After several marathon calls with the BT Broadband helpdesk, there seemed to be an admission that these were both known problems and they were fixed in home hub v2B which, after several false starts, I have just received.

But on the v2B I don't seem to be able to originate outbound SIP calls.

Finally to the point of this post:

1. Can anybody advise me how to get outgoing SIP calls to work on the home hub v2B ?

2. I could probably live with the v2A if I restarted it every day or two via a scheduled task. I've tried something like http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/info/restart/?be=0&l0=0&l1=0&tid=RESTART&user=admin&password=admin but it leads to a page on which I need confirm the restart. Is there any way of forcing a restart of a home hub without human intervention?

Thanks.

Edited by percivjr (Sat 22-Jan-11 20:07:25)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:07:14
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 2 driving me mad

[re: percivjr] [link to this post]

Is there any way of forcing a restart of a home hub without human intervention?
a digital time switch on the power ?

Presumably the Home Hub has its own SIP stuff going on to provide "BT Broadband Talk". So I would imagine you have a clash of ports or a firewall issue. How did you try to do the SIP, and did it register to the server but fail to make calls or did the audio fail or ????

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User percivjr
(newbie) Sun 23-Jan-11 10:34:50
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 2 driving me mad

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I had thought of cycling the power but that's pretty much a last resort!

A slight correction and explanation of the SIP problem.

Actually I discovered that I CAN make outgoing SIP calls - Ekiga echo test works fine.

What I am trying to do is make SIP calls to my Broadband Talk number using the address format:

sip:441234123456@myIPaddress

and this works properly on v1 and v2A hubs. But not on v2B, the softphone gets stuck on "Creating outgoing call". Same results on several SIP providers.

The Broadband Talk number receives PSTN calls OK.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to