Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(member) Sat 26-Mar-11 17:39:54
Print Post

Siemens GIgaset... or what?

[link to this post]

Hey all,

I'm often making international calls to several EU locations, however as I'm in a cable area I still have a PSTN line.

Currently use the Post Office home phone, but was thinking of getting a Siemens Gigaset such that I could use PSTN for incoming and outbound UK evening/weekend, but then could use VoIP for int'l calls or daytime UK.

I've currently a corded handset so the gigaset would also have the advantage of supplying me with a cordless home phone.

Question: Will the gigaset achieve what I want? Or is there a better combination of products?

Thanks,
Blueacid

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User drogon
(learned) Mon 28-Mar-11 16:52:53
Print Post

Re: Siemens GIgaset... or what?

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Yes. It'll do what you need it to do.

You can have several VoIP accounts and you select which account to dial-out on by prepending #n to the number you dial, where the 'n' is the index to the VoIP provider. You can set the phone to use VoIP or the fixed line by default though.

You can have up to 6 handsets on one base too.

One thing to bear in-mind is that the base is a standalone unit - unlike other DECT systems where the first handset is connected to the base, the Gigaset system is separate. That means you can put the base in a better position for the house - e.g. wall mounted, and close to your router and phone line. The downside is that you need 2 mains sockets for the system - one for the base and one for the handset. (One for each handset if you have more than one)
Standard User blueacid
(member) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:19:29
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

That's perfectly fine - I can therefore stash the base near the router, but then put the main handset in the living room.

That sounds like the perfect bit of kit then - thanks for your help smile

Cheers,
Blueacid

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bubieyehyeh
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 19:39:52
Print Post

An alternative is to buy a linksys SPA3102, which is a bit of a pain to setup, but you can plug a dirt cheap dect base station into it.You can still receive and make calls from pstn as well as voip.
Standard User commsguru
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 20:23:52
Print Post

Hi I recommend using Vonage ,it is the best voip service. If you are going to getit let me know as we can oth get 2 months free under a refer a friend system. you get also get cashback via topcashback.
regards
jon
ps this is what i use and have internet only from virgin media
Standard User blueacid
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 00:06:56
Print Post

[re: bubieyehyeh] [link to this post]

Well worth a consideration but have found a gigaset for £56 delivered; the cheapest I can find the SPA3102 for is £40 - thus leaving me with but £16 to find a DECT phone (would be a fairly bleak option)

With the Gigaset A580 I can then add more handsets easily, making (if I require) 2 VoIP calls & 1 pstn call - not sure how easy that can be achieved with the SPA3102.

It was something I looked at though - so if anyone else is looking to upgrade to VoIP and already has a capable PSTN DECT Phone (and only needs 1 call at a time), it'd be a far wiser move IMHO.

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User blueacid
(member) Thu 31-Mar-11 00:07:46
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

Sadly way ahead of you; already decided on Voipcheap as they're offering a suitable package for my needs smile Thanks though!

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Apr-11 17:53:47
Print Post

Hi, I would like this Siemens Gigaset S685 IP landline and VOIP phone, expensive though.

http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-d...

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User blueacid
(member) Fri 01-Apr-11 21:48:37
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Looked shiny, but the A580 does 90% of the work for nigh-on 60% of the price.

Colour screen isn't important to me, it's either sat on the charging stand in darkness or pressed to the side of my face; neither needs technicolour tongue

It should be delivered on Monday, will be able to have a play then!

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User snowman
(committed) Sun 03-Apr-11 20:30:52
Print Post

I have used an A580 with a second A58H handset for about a year now at work and it works well. We use Gradwell and can make two calls at the same time. I like the phones so much that I have bought a second set for a second site and am looking to get some for home. The base unit is mounted near my router which is central but could be anywhere on a wired network and the phones have good range and voice quality.
  Print Thread

Jump to