Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User m0aur
(member) Wed 04-May-11 00:33:00
Print Post

Stolen Phone Number

[link to this post]

A question Is it possible for a telephone company, to hijack/steal/takeover an in-use number and give it to someone else.
The reason I ask Recently joined Sipgate. Got a second local prefix (Suffolk) number for my VOIP calls and all seemed hunky dory··· Or at least it was till streams of calls started trying to book a taxi··· Oh well methinks, I probably have someone's old number and it will die down.
Enter call from irate MD of Numbertel, who informs me that the number I have been allocated by Sipgate, is the very same they have had permanently linked to a London taxi company for three years, and has been hijacked from them! Is it possible to takeover an in use number?

Post Office Home phone with 8Mb Broadband Extra.
20" iMac Dual 2.66gHz 4 Gb Ram.
Post Office Test Result

Edited by m0aur (Wed 04-May-11 01:10:27)

Standard User drogon
(learned) Wed 04-May-11 17:55:06
Print Post

Re: Stolen Phone Number

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m0aur:
A question Is it possible for a telephone company, to hijack/steal/takeover an in-use number and give it to someone else.
The reason I ask Recently joined Sipgate. Got a second local prefix (Suffolk) number for my VOIP calls and all seemed hunky dory··· Or at least it was till streams of calls started trying to book a taxi··· Oh well methinks, I probably have someone's old number and it will die down.
Enter call from irate MD of Numbertel, who informs me that the number I have been allocated by Sipgate, is the very same they have had permanently linked to a London taxi company for three years, and has been hijacked from them! Is it possible to takeover an in use number?

It shouldn't be, however ...

I'd suggest that someone has made a cock-up somewhere - it's possible that Numbertell use the same upstream as Sipgate (probably Magrathea), and that they (either Numbertell or Magrathea) have possibly accidentally released a number back into the pool which Sipgrate have picked up.

However, Numbertell really ought to be taking this up with Magrathea (or whoever) themselves and not whinging at you, it's it's not your fault. You may be asked to change number though, but I don't know how likely this might be... (I've used Magrathea myself for over 4 years and haven't had this happen to me or my customers)

G
Standard User m0aur
(member) Wed 04-May-11 18:07:44
Print Post

[re: drogon] [link to this post]

A Google search last night turned up Magrathia being linked to Numbertel, but I did not know they are also the Sipgate carrier.
Reply from Sipgate today:-
Hi Mr. xxxxxx,

thank you for your e-mail.
This phone number has been assigned by our carrier Magrathea Telecom. They
allocate the phone number at the time of registration and we have unfortunately no
influence at all on the allocated number.

We have changed your number as requested.

Please note that you need to re-submit your emergency location
There is now only one number offered for each area, but when I signed up, there was a dozen to choose from with my area code, so possibly it was just my luck to encounter a system malfunction.

Post Office Test Result

Edited by m0aur (Wed 04-May-11 18:10:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-May-11 13:57:55
Print Post

I have a feeling I know how it may have occurred - probably though a human error.

What was the taxi company number - not area code, just the 5, 6 or 7 digits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 05-May-11 14:22:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The 6 digit number was 388386, which was permanently linked to the Super Quickly Taxi company, so I assume it was like those phones in supermarkets, where as soon as you pick up the handset, you are through to the chosen Taxi company.

Post Office Test Result
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-May-11 14:42:47
Print Post

That throws out my theory !

Taxi companies often have "Golden Numbers" 388388 for example and these are pulled out of numbering ranges. Although, maybe they do have 388388 as well with a few either side.

When a VOIP provider wants a numbering block they can apply to OFCOM and will get a range of 1000 numbers, for example 388000 to 388999 but the golden numbers will have been removed from the list so, 388388, 388883 would be excluded. The VOIP company then has access to the numbering block and allocates them as necessary whilst passing routing data to BT and others. However, if OFCOM forgot to remove the number or the VOIP company entered the complete block in their system and forgot to exclude the number then it could easily be allocated and provided BT receives a correct routing instruction it would be rerouted. BT cannot do more than a quick 30 second check on every request as there will be thousands every day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User m0aur
(member) Thu 05-May-11 15:06:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It seems it was either left in, or returned to the pool in error, but that is my luck A thousand examples of an item in a shop, and muggins here usually picks up the faulty one, but looking on the bright side, it all helps extend the vocaculary!

Post Office Test Result
  Print Thread

Jump to