Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 12:00:49
Print Post

Low Cost VOIP Provider/Setup

[link to this post]

Hi guys/gals wink

Could someone recommend a good VOIP Provider and what would be my best setup options? I currently use a Billion 7800n Router...

I tried VOIP many of years ago and didn't find it much cheaper nor was it great but VOIP was very new then... I use to use a Linksys Adapter whee you would plug directly into your router and plug your phone into that, it seemed to have worked well but it looks like i've lost the damn thing.

Any help appreciated...

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Feb-12 18:00:58
Print Post

Re: Low Cost VOIP Provider/Setup

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

I recently ported my Virgin Media number to iNet Telecoms Ltd.

Very pleased with the service and the communication they provided was/is the best I've had from a company in ages!

I use their free software which seems fine. No doubt a hardware solution would be better.

Web: http://www.voipfone.co.uk

---
Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via Siemens Gigaset SE587
My Broadband Speed Test
Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Thu 01-Mar-12 08:43:14
Print Post

I use Localphone for all my outgoing calls. I have had very few problems with them over the last few years, and their rates are low.

Since it looks like your router doesn't have a built-in ATA you will either need to use a software phone (Localphone have their own basic softphone available for Windows/Mac/Linux), an ATA (which lets you connect a normal phone), or a pure IP phone.

My preference would be for an IP phone since it allows for more advanced features than an ATA, including so-called "HD Voice" when talking to other people using a pure IP connection. I like Yealink phones as they are good quality and inexpensive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Mar-12 21:01:59
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by hk11:
I recently ported my Virgin Media number to iNet Telecoms Ltd.

Very pleased with the service and the communication they provided was/is the best I've had from a company in ages!

I use their free software which seems fine. No doubt a hardware solution would be better.

Web: http://www.voipfone.co.uk

I have been with Voipfone since October 2005 and have found them to be ok. C/S responds promptly to emails. I use a Zoom 5801 ATA connected to my router so that the computer need not be on. I would also recommend them.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User medwayman
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:32:53
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

One of the best kept secrets of VOIP is that you do not necessarily need to use a single provider. You do need a provider if you want routing for an incoming number, but nothing to stop you routing outgoing calls elsewhere.

That said I also use Voipfone for incoming. Reliable, honest and transparent pricing, good CS, and good PBX facilities are the principal reasons. They are also members of the ITSPA which gives protections, principally that you will still be able to port your number elsewhere even if they go bust.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-Mar-12 20:08:30
Print Post

[re: medwayman] [link to this post]

Yes, my ata is capable of using more than one provider, it's that I have not bothered to use the facility. We do not make or receive that many calls. The ata links to the landline so that incoming calls ring the same phone but outgoing calls go through VoIP.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 03-Mar-12 20:34:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
Hi guys/gals wink

Could someone recommend a good VOIP Provider and what would be my best setup options? I currently use a Billion 7800n Router...

I tried VOIP many of years ago and didn't find it much cheaper nor was it great but VOIP was very new then... I use to use a Linksys Adapter whee you would plug directly into your router and plug your phone into that, it seemed to have worked well but it looks like i've lost the damn thing.

Any help appreciated...

I highly recommend sipgate.co.uk they give you a free phone number local or national & i find the audio to be excellent they have there own softphone for the comp you can config ip phones and they even have there own app for android and iphone, i use the app with my Samsung galaxy S2 combined with threes all you can eat its fantastic people can ring my mobile free of charge off there landlines or other sip providers by ringing me on my sip number and the quality of the call is identical to the call quality of my mobile calls.

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User ChyrillStucker
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 09:01:17
Print Post

VoIP services are now being provided by Hosted PBX providers. They set up and maintain the hardware and provide you with a ready to use system at an affordable price. They charge you only for the services you use. They have different plans for home-based or enterprise-based solutions. I am also taking services from a Hosted PBX provider for seven months now and it is working fine.
Standard User rickon
(newbie) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:52:45
Print Post

Re: Low Cost VOIP Provider/Setup *DELETED*

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

Post deleted by billford

Advertising is not permitted.

Edited by billford (Fri 30-Mar-12 09:58:12)

Standard User lconroy
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 18:41:20
Print Post

Hi there,
coming late to this party -- I can second the pitch for Sipgate. I've been with them for years, they work, voice quality is good, their call costs are low, and their web site has specific configs for a load of different bits of kit => easy to set up They're "thorough"/Teutonic, so you WILL get caller id delivered if it's available; more than BT could manage with a standard steam phone. Given that BT now charges a stupidly high setup cost for their calls (and Sipgate don't), I simply don't place calls via the PSTN; why the heck would I ++? I can't find a single case where's it's cheaper to use the steam phone, so I don't.

My home net has a Fritz!box with a Gigaset N300A DECT setup plugged into the Ethernet *and* into the PSTN, with a couple of their S68H DECT 'phones (the Linksys, GS2K, and the rest are in the shed). This setup passes the "usable" test, as my dear wife is entirely unaware she's using VoIP -- it's just a 'phone, it rings, and she can call anyone.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but have had no problems with them at all. I have slightly techie requirements, and they have dealt with these without whining (and with clue). They even sorted out registration of the phone number with my home address, so 999 calls work correctly -- some SIP providers don't.

all the best, Lawrence

++ one thing to note -- BT have a VERY nasty habit of charging extra if you do NOT make a minimum of two calls over the PSTN per month -- strange but true. If you have Caller Display, they likewise charge even more if you don't make calls. BT are a bunch of Messerschmitts (or some kind of 'plane) => place two (ideally, free) calls per month via the PSTN or BT'll charge you. You have been warned. Oh, and don't forget to get their Line Rental Saver package to pay for the line up front -- £129 for a year. That's all those Fokkers will get from me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to