Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User met68
(regular) Mon 26-Mar-12 17:09:38
Print Post

Voiptalk poor customer service

[link to this post]

Ok, so I have complained about Voiptalk's non-existent customer service before, but decided to stick it out with them. But they really are c@&p at customer service.

Have put a question in via the online ticketing system on Friday and still not had any response at all.

Maybe somebody here can help.

I am using the Acrobit VOIP app on my IPad to connect to my VOIP account with Voiptalk to make phone calls.

All is fine, as long as I am on a WiFi connection. But as soon as I try and make and receive calls when on a 3G network only, the Acrobit app fails to connect to Voiptalk.

I assume, that the 3G network blocks SIP connectins. Is there a work-around for this? Can I use a different port to connect to Voiptalk (default is 5060 udp)? Has anybody got this to work?

Any help much appreciated!
Standard User sean2003
(experienced) Mon 26-Mar-12 20:45:25
Print Post

Re: Voiptalk poor customer service

[re: met68] [link to this post]

Pretty likely your mobile provider is blocking the service. Which network is it?

Most VoIP providers won't allow registration on another port.
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Mon 26-Mar-12 21:08:33
Print Post

Check the IP that your 3G connection gives you. If it is a private address such as 10.* you are NATted anyway.

In which case you can try the instructions regarding connecting from inside a NATted network, which happen to use a different domain name and port number.

But yes many mobile operators routinely block SIP ports - this is not anything to do with Voiptalk nor their responsibility to workaround. One could argue that your mobile provider is not really providing Internet access but a filtered subset based on things they don't see as a threat to their business model.

An operator I know for sure does not block SIP is Three, but you may need to alter some preferences regarding how often the SIP client re-registers to continue to receive calls. Making calls should be ok.

Also, it's a good idea to direct "calls while offilne" > voicemail > email so that if your SIP app becomes unregistered you'll receive any voicemail promptly anyway.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t: ADSL2+ / 21CN at 2.5Mbps / 800k

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User met68
(regular) Tue 27-Mar-12 07:50:06
Print Post

Thanks prizx and Sean. I am not suggesting this is an issue with Voiptalk. My issue with them is about their complete lack of any kind of customer support. It just does not exist. The only way customers can interact with them is via the online ticketing system and I have NEVER had a single response to ANY of the tickets logged. This is shocking. Am now looking at alternatives. Would appreciate recommendations from other forum user on this.

I am on T-Mobile and the 3G IP address I seem to have (when doing a speedtest) is an external address. Is there another way I can find my IP address on an IPad?

Have set Acrobit to receive Push signals and so receiving calls when on WiFi works fine and does not drain battery noticeably.

I was hoping that maybe I Voiptalk might support SIP on non-standard ports. Does anybody know of a Voip provider who does?

Godd tip about Three and I may well go with them, if that is the case.
Standard User RachaelLyndsey
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 12:54:57
Print Post

Hi,

I actually work for a rival VoIP company called Usomo & I've just noticed your issues.
After many hours of testing, and looking at various customer experiences, we've never been able to get Acrobits to work with T-Mobile. They always just block it, so it's not an issue with your self or voiptalk. Any other phone service provider works on our service so I assume that's across the board with regards to voip providers.

We support SIP on the standard port 5060, and also the non-standard port 8060 so it may well be possible that voiptalk can do the same. Are you not able to call them at all? I'd hate to think how many customers we'd lose if we didn't have a direct phone line to our technical support!
Standard User bobtylor
(newbie) Thu 30-Aug-12 10:04:01
Print Post

Re: Voiptalk poor customer service *DELETED*

[re: RachaelLyndsey] [link to this post]

Post deleted by billford
  Print Thread

Jump to