Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(learned) Wed 11-Jul-12 17:45:08
Print Post

RE: Skype new update Version 5.10.0.115

[link to this post]

Forgive me isf this is not the right forum for this!

I've downloaded and removed and downloaded 5.10.0.115 several times. Ever since Skype installed 5.10.0.115 I cannot receive or send calls. I don't pay extra for my calls and it appears Skype is trying to force the public into the paying mode. Skype shows contacts offline when they are online, as I have landline communication with my contact at the same time trying to solve this issue!
When I try to make a video call Skype just reports that my contact is currently unavailable, which is not so as I am talking with my contact over the landline, Skype then prompts me to leave a voice mail!
Skype support very unsupportive, well deaf and unwilling to answer any posts or emails!
Several of my contacts have the same problem. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Any suggestions other than paying for Skype which I defenitely won't do?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 16-Jul-12 15:18:15
Print Post

Re: RE: Skype new update Version 5.10.0.115

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Can you find a copy of an older 5.9.x.xxx to install?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Copperking
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-12 16:17:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You will find all the old versions of Skype @ http://www.oldapps.com/

Mike A

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Mon 16-Jul-12 17:05:19
Print Post

[re: Copperking] [link to this post]

The new one appears to be OK for me. Currently nobody I want to call or can sensibly test a video call to, but online contacts are showing as normal.

Maybe they might have made some change to the protocol details that will require a change to firewall settings? (I have no reason to think this, but it is one possible way to explain the problem.)

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User scopio
(learned) Mon 16-Jul-12 17:08:03
Print Post

[re: Copperking] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Copperking:
You will find all the old versions of Skype @ http://www.oldapps.com/

Thanks MHC and Copperking for you input.
I was able to communicate with another contact in the UK whilst not with one particular contact abroad, and donít yet know if other contacts are still affected, and wonít know unless they come online so I can try to contact them or they try to contact me!
The problem with this particular contact was on his side of things (abroad) but we eventually got over the problem.
I know that many people have this same problem judging by the posts in the Skype Support Community!
My contact uninstalled Skype and then installed it again and created a new account with a new Skype username and we were the able to communicate via Skype.
Thanks again and I shall certainly add OldApps.com to my favourites!
Standard User professor973
(member) Mon 16-Jul-12 17:24:29
Print Post

I have the same with v.5.9.0.115. It is a right pigs ear, which is what you would expect from a Microsoft company. Having said that, I get the identical problem with my Skype phone on the 3 network. Both will not sign in about 30% of the time, so despite the person the other end having their software up and running, you can't reach them.
The answer to my Skype mobile is the same as the PC ó Shut down the software and restart, which seems to point to a system bug rather than users firmware version, though they haven't yet cured the error reporting bug, where the Skype site tells you you have no Internet access.
All of the above is of no use to me when trying to phone home to check on a blind and severely disabled wife, who cannot restart the software.
My answer when I go out and about is to also leave PhonerLite running on the PC at home. It also does auto-answer. So when loaded with my free Sipgate number, it is a backup where I can dial in for 5p per minute from my mobile, something you cannot do with Skype, even when paying £11.50 for three months Skypein Number.

Standard User scopio
(regular) Mon 16-Jul-12 20:52:37
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

There seems to be more than just one bug with the latest Skype update!
Have a read of this; http://community.skype.com/t5/Security-Privacy-Trust... and this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18863423
All to do with the update last June!

Edited by scopio (Mon 16-Jul-12 20:55:55)

Standard User scopio
(regular) Mon 16-Jul-12 21:07:05
Print Post

In relation to connection problems, Skype now admits there is a problem see this;
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Connection-Pro...
It wasn't just me or my paranoia/imagination I'm glad to say!
Standard User professor973
(member) Mon 16-Jul-12 21:19:26
Print Post

It would seem that 'Pigs Ear' is the understatement of the year.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 17-Jul-12 20:35:33
Print Post

5.10.0.115 is working for me but did give me a problem!

I launched Skype at 15:58 ready for a 16:00 conference call and it automatically decided to do te update - even though previously I had said NO. It then took 15 minutes to download and then the install! So, 20 minutes late on a call!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to