Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Northwind
(learned) Wed 12-Sep-12 12:13:32
Print Post

Any OFCOM regs about porting VOIP numbers?

[link to this post]

Hello chaps,

My current VOIP provider ( part of an ISP ) does not "currently have a process" for porting-out VOIP numbers to another provider.

The number is not associated with a physical phone line so the usual OFCOM regs don't apply, and the VOIP provider sites I've checked all talk about porting from a landline. Not relevant.

I've been trawling the OFCOM site but cannot see anything about ensuring portability for VOIP numbers. Anyone know any regs I can invoke?

Or is my current geo-like number bound forever to the current provider?

Thanks!

--
Goscomb ( BE Wholesale ), Exchange NINTS
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 17-Sep-12 00:11:13
Print Post

Re: Any OFCOM regs about porting VOIP numbers?

[re: Northwind] [link to this post]

OFCOM rules are usually technology agnostic, so the rules around portability of numbers would be applied to any PATS provider.

OFCOM's General Condition 18 (GC18) says... "Condition 18 requires all providers to provide number portability as soon as practicable and on reasonable terms but only to subscribers of publicly available telephone services who request it. The condition also requires that a porting facility must be provided as soon as practicable and on reaonsable terms to other providers who request it and various restrictions on porting charges."

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Dec-12 08:12:16
Print Post

Re: Any OFCOM regs about porting VOIP numbers?

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I agree with Phil on this.

Having set up our own VoIP company recently, I can confirm that all providers should offer porting and are in contravention with the Ofcom regs if they do not.

Does not surprise me that some will try to play dumb on this though as part of their overall "customer retention" procedures! smile

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
===============================================
Miso
A new force in VoIP provision!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to