Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 08:55:44
Print Post

Recommend a single line good quality ATA

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm after an ATA box of some sort to add to my setup, something that I can get hold of in a hurry, something that will provide a (full featured if possible?) line for a single POTS device, probably connected through extension wiring, so a REN equivalent of, perhaps, 3 or more?

As a point of reference, I have a Gigaset C475IP setup using SIP at the moment and I think its the bees knees in terms of quality and reliability.

Sound quality and in service reliability are very important, ease of setup isn't really a consideration, I can cope, and I don't expect to have to fiddle with it very often once I have it set up!

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated, please

Thanks!
Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Thu 27-Sep-12 13:48:10
Print Post

Re: Recommend a single line good quality ATA

[re: dtbb] [link to this post]

To followup on my own post - I've ordered a Cisco SPA112, since it looks like it might fit the bill, and just as importantly is available in a hurry!
Standard User trolleybus
(regular) Wed 14-Nov-12 12:15:33
Print Post

[re: dtbb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dtbb:
To followup on my own post - I've ordered a Cisco SPA112, since it looks like it might fit the bill, and just as importantly is available in a hurry!

In the last couple of weeks I purchased one of these units; surprisingly it doesn't come with the essential ring adapter! Bought quit a few ATAs in the past from different manufactures as these are given to our home workers to make business calls. My main gripe with all the ATA units is the default dial plan which is US based. The phone works more efficiently if it is replaced with a UK dial plan.

Over the years the cost of ATA hardware has risen quite significantly and with the added cost of the ring adapter and a corded CLI POTS phone, the total outlay is very close to an entry level VoIP phone such as the Cisco SPA301 IP Phone [for around £55]. VoIP phones make it a lot easier to use the extra functions that are standard with VoIP.

Worthy of consideration in the ATA market place is the SPA3102 because it has both FXS and FXO ports. This means that your connected POTS phone is abe to receive, and make, both VoIP and your fixed line service. But that setup leaves very little change from £100.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-12 20:22:22
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Thanks! Interestingly, I haven't noticed any problems using just a standard RJ11 to RJ11 modem cable that I had lying around. It just works (for me)!
  Print Thread

Jump to