Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Wed 03-Oct-12 19:38:11
Print Post

Providers recommendation request

[link to this post]

Can anyone recommend a provider who can provide a service which can be configured to behave like a single POTS line in terms of availability, please? I seem to have had a confusion with the sales guy on one service where the sales guy said they could offer a service that was the same as a single POTS line in it's behaviour. For that provider the hurdle has turned out to be that the ability to provide POTS style UK engaged behaviour if the service is in use by a single user is not available from them. Is this possible at all with any provider?

Thanks!
Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Wed 03-Oct-12 21:24:31
Print Post

Re: Providers recommendation request

[re: dtbb] [link to this post]

Ugghhh! Turns out from more testing that the sales guy was closer to the facts than the support guy. My conclusion from testing is that it takes a while for the option to turn off voicemail to fully filter through their system. After some time a proper busy response does happen if the receiver is lifted, although at the moment I still get a call waiting type response if I'm actually on a call.

I'd still be interested in any opinions/thoughts though!

Cheers
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-12 01:38:21
Print Post

so your issue is in getting the busy tone if a single VoIP device is online even if other devices are available ? or.... ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dtbb
(newbie) Mon 15-Oct-12 22:14:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks! Sorry, I somehow missed your post.

Yes I wanted to set up an as reliable as practically possible sip service on fttc which was as functionally equivalent to a single POTS line with a single device plugged in as possible.

My primary issue is that the POTS line is over 4km long, and so has very high gain, resulting in an awful snr.

Now I am up and running I know a lot more about what the client needs are in practice, and I have manged to set that up. Turning off the voicemail did work in the end, and I managed to get a busy response after I set 'Supplementary Service Subscription' -> 'Call Waiting Serv:' to 'no' on my Cisco SPA112

Now all I need is the service reliability bit of my requirement to improve a good bit and I'll be happy. To be fair to the provider, I'll give them a bit more time on that one.

To be fair to the provider, though, their customer services attitude of 'why would you want to', especially when I managed to find a solution by myself makes it more likely that I wander off somewhere else in the future, though!

Thanks again!
Standard User abigailmorris
(newbie) Tue 06-Nov-12 10:10:54
Print Post

I don't think this issue would not be solved somehow. Maybe a better software PBX could do it. Why don't you try the Ozeki PBX? I can only recommend it, we use it in my job for a long time and it works well. You may use it for configuring your dial plan easily - it's just a minute to do that. Check it here: http://www.ozekiphone.com/what-is-voip-phone-343.html

I think this will help. You can figure it out with the trial version as well.
  Print Thread

Jump to