Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User judgecorp
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 13:24:04
Print Post

Sipgate over TalkTalk - problems with YouView?

[link to this post]

Hello all

I've been using Sipgate happily on a Fritz!Box router, on a TalkTal;k line for a couple of years, no problem at all. I have regular phones plugged into the Fritz phone ports. We use it for a second (domestic) line, as my wife uses the landline for her work,

Now, when I had the YouView box installed by TalkTalk,my VoIP no longer works properly.

TalkTalk provided a Huawei router, but I swapped it and put my Fritz back. The YouView works fine, but now VoIP calls always start ok, then a delay of around five seconds appears (apparenlty on the outgoing voice) .

Sipgate say the problem is the TalkTalk line, and TalkTalk are looking into it.

They deny that there is any traffic shaping or prioritisation going on.

To co-operate better with TalkTalk, I've put the Huawei back in, and running the Frtiz off it. using LAN 1 on the Fritz as the uplink.

In this setup, The Fritz still gives Internet access, and calls can dial out, but the Fritz won't ring the phones that are attached to it...

Any thoughts or help is welcome.

Peter
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 16:43:06
Print Post

Re: Sipgate over TalkTalk - problems with YouView?

[re: judgecorp] [link to this post]

the previous BT equivalent of Youtube called BT Vision did allocate part of the bandwidth for that to give an assured video performance. What does a speedtest or VoIP quality test have to say for itself ? http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User judgecorp
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 17:08:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks!

TalkTalk's speed test gives me 11.6M down, and 0.6M up.

I hadn't realised there were VoIP quality tests online...

I tested it on G.711 and got the following

Jitter to server 0.3ms
Jitter from server 0.1ms
Packet loss both ways, packet discards and packets out of order 0.0
MOS 4.2

Which seems very good. My Frtiz box also gives me stats for jitter and packet loss which are always similar to that.

The Fritz also logs delay - but this doesn't match what I experience. On one call, we logged at least five seconds delay, and Fritz says it had 23ms. I guess the Fritz is measuring something different.

I just had a long (37 min) call with s TalkTalk person who painstakingly ticked off all the things I'm not complaining about, before booking me a call with someone he says is a VoIP expert.

Ironically enough,there was no delay in that call.

Peter .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ibtaba
(newbie) Mon 28-Jan-13 21:50:52
Print Post

Hi Judgecorp,

I have similar problem.

VOIP was fine for over a year, then suddenly terrible latency that increases with duration of call.

Had an engineer visit but he didn't have a clue.

Where about are you geographically ?

Rgds,

Ibtaba
Standard User sean2003
(experienced) Fri 08-Feb-13 16:31:19
Print Post

I work in the VoIP industry and have been seeing the same report. Audio becomes delayed more as the duration of the call increases.

Seems to be an issue across multiple providers. The common feature seems to be talk talk and youview. I thought it may have been the router. If its happening on other routers too it sounds like it is the service rather than router. Hopefully talk talk will get it sorted.
  Print Thread

Jump to