Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:55:14
Print Post

VOIP - Dialling up to an ISDN number

[link to this post]

Ok, I'm a VOIP newbie, so bear with my relative level of ignorance. I don't have a VOIP based 'second phone line' through my router with my basic ADSL2 package.

I used to have an ISDN2e line at a previous address, so am familiar with that technology. Then, I could connect to other ISDN numbers digitally, to dial up servers and other data services.

I'd like to do the same with a VOIP style connection, of course, at first glance, it seems 'inside out' with the ADSL provding the service through SIP! So, Can I use something like a 'ISDN virtual modem' to use SIP (With CAPI) through a VOIP provider to dial up to an external ISDN number's data connection?

I realise I require a provider to assign a telephone number to me and to route the call to the PSTN.

Suggestions please!

Edited by zeitgeist (Tue 15-Jan-13 19:02:58)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 15-Jan-13 19:12:29
Print Post

Re: VOIP - Dialling up to an ISDN number

[re: zeitgeist] [link to this post]

I think the short answer is no. It's voice over IP so codecs are used to encode and packetise audio frequencies which are turned back into audio at the other end.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User zeitgeist
(newbie) Wed 16-Jan-13 00:23:19
Print Post

Re: VOIP - Dialling up to an ISDN number

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I think I've found what I'm looking for,

It's called 'Virtual ISDN.' Basically you get a router with extra sockets for the ISDN equipment.

I wasted a day so you don't have to!

smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to