Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ey143
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 11:44:39
Print Post

Vodafone Sure Signal - does this convert to VOIP?

[link to this post]

Can someone please confirm whether if a device like Vodafone Sure Signal is used, do calls and internet traffic now route through your broadband just like VOIP e.g. Vonage?

I want to get a Sure signal to use in the office but I am wondering whether my surfing on the iphone will be detected by my corporate IT network guys. Both tech support and Vodafone and the shop say that it wont go through the corporate network but that doesnt make any sense to me, how else will this service work?
Standard User H10ELD
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 12:05:27
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal - does this convert to VOIP?

[re: ey143] [link to this post]

i have the original "Vodafone Sure Signal" and only calls go through it on VOIP.
Any surfing using my iPhone connects to the wireless router - not the sure signal.

You can (must) register up 6 3G phones and it will only work with Vodafone SIMS .
Only registered phones will work with it
You also need a Vodafone account to be able to manage the Sure Signal.
As the Sure Signal is connected by ethernet to the modem/router it appears as a connected device on the router so your IT administrator will see that.
Standard User ey143
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 12:27:39
Print Post

[re: H10ELD] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.
Is there any way of preventing my internet traffic data from going through the network if it is connected to the Sure signal device via the ethernet? I guess this is a silly question because the answer would be "dont use the sure signal device" then right? But then why would vodafone tech support and the shop tell me that the broadband is simply use to generate a frequency and a local cell range of 10m which then helps to extend the range to the outdoor signal. This seems like a lot of uneducated rubbish they telling.

In summary, what you are saying is that all internet traffic and voice calls WILL go through my corporate network and IT will be able to detect what web sites I have visited on my iphone e.g. youtube or personal email?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 12:48:41
Print Post

the Sure Signal tunnels GSM / 3G traffic securely. If you turn off the wi-fi on your phone you will surf via the Suresignal and pay accordingly, as if you were using a base station.

It isn't VoIP in the usual sense at all.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ey143
(newbie) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:25:55
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

How do we know for sure that internet traffic from my iphone will go through a VPN connection (when I switch wifi off on the phone) and that network admins will not be able to track what I am viewing (namely Youtube or gmail as its blocked in the company)?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:43:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by ey143:
How do we know for sure that internet traffic from my iphone will go through a VPN connection (when I switch wifi off on the phone) and that network admins will not be able to track what I am viewing (namely Youtube or gmail as its blocked in the company)?
Do a traceroute.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User ey143
(newbie) Sat 19-Jan-13 22:45:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry I dont know what that is or how to do it - could you just confirm the answer though in non tech terms. thx.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 23:24:17
Print Post

If you want to check the route that packets take to a server to know for sure that internet traffic from your iphone is going through a VPN connection then just run a traceroute on the iphone to the server you are interested in. It will display which path the packets take so you can tell if the VPN tunnel is used or not.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:34:06
Print Post

it's a secure tunnel - the network authentication and GSM stuff is all nailed down securely to avoid phone fraud.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:40:42
Print Post

there is no answer in "non tech terms" to a question like "how do I know if my IP traffic is visible" other than the one you have already - "it isn't"

You could go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ip.html and see what IP you're coming from and if it's a phone network one or one of your company's by looking at the name after the IP address. Just tried that on mine and it flipped from my yarwell.demon.co.uk IP to 212.183.128.233 which is Vodafone according to http://whois.net/ip-address-lookup/212.183.128.233 - but that's technical, sorry smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to