Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Wed 17-Apr-13 21:03:03
Print Post

VoIP Providers

[link to this post]

Anyone know if any VOIP Providers offer a free VOIP Handset with any of there plans?

I know Vanage use to offer a WiFi Handset which I have but I can't unlock it to use with other providers. Well, I can unlock it but it eventually reverts back after a few calls....

Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Thu 18-Apr-13 21:11:45
Print Post

Re: VoIP Providers *DELETED*

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Post deleted by shaneosborne
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Fri 19-Apr-13 02:27:37
Print Post

WiFi VoIP handsets never really took off, or, in my experience, worked properly.
There is not much money in VoIP, so don't expect to get equipment for free.
The simplest solution is to get your self a VoIP enabled router, then you simply plug in any old phone, incl. DECT one(s).
2nd hand Draytek Vigor VoIP routers are quite cheap,
in fact I have a couple...(PM me if interested).
Regards,
Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TMCR
(member) Sat 20-Apr-13 23:17:54
Print Post

Re: VoIP Providers

Have a look on ebay - lots of people selling cheap old Tesco Internet Phones still in their packets with "£5 free calls", which is misleading. Using a softphone you can even get away with a mega-cheap headset, I think I picked a couple up for 99p each that I used on mobile broadband with VOIP accounts.

I've put a Camrivox UTA151 on my network at home, with a standard DECT phone plugged in. Works fine.

You don't need to spend a lot to get a working VOIP system.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User robinson172
(newbie) Wed 24-Apr-13 15:27:32
Print Post

I don't think you should look for a VoIP service that provides free handset. Beware there are many low quality VoIP service providers that are offering free handsets with their 1-2 year plans. Instead, you should look for a reliable service like Axvoice, Ooma, ViaTalk etc. As far as hand sets are concerned, you can use a good service not only on your computer but also on your smart phone or any touch tone phone set.
Standard User wellhiddenmark
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 17:00:49
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by martinsq:
WiFi VoIP handsets never really took off, or, in my experience, worked properly.

I did find the one that does actually work, Martin. The Unidata WPU-7800. It isn't cheap, and it has this strange UI with some quirks (lost in translation from Korean?). The battery life is astounding however, and performance is rock solid.
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 16:32:26
Print Post

Do you have a smartphone at all OP? There are various apps for voip. I use this one and it works well over Wi-Fi and for that matter 3G

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cs...

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Standard User dmcclymont
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 14:38:05
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

I have used Blink and the free download of Zoiper on PC, and Android and they work really well indeed.

The free downloads often have limited function such as no supervised transfer, but a single home user will never need to do that!
  Print Thread

Jump to