Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 18-Apr-13 00:31:16
Print Post

Think I've boobed

[link to this post]

At long last my 24 month contract ended and I was able to get a new phone to replace a Nokia E5 that broke and I had to swap the SIM to an older phone to be able to make calls. I had SIP working fine on the E5, using Sipgate, and was able to make calls and receive them.

So what did I go and do - I asked for a Nokia Lumia 520, which has Windows 8 and (so I'm told) a SIP client. "Ah, sorry, not got that, how about the Lumia 610" the man says. Brain ticks over, thinks 610 must be later model than 520 (numbers go up don't they?) and I said OK.

It's arrived, I find out it's only Windows 7.5 Mango and even the downloadable App from the Windowsphone site refuses to load as it says it won't work on this phone. Oh dear, or something like that, was going through my head.

Ah - but there's another one, Octotalk with VOIP it says. Says it supports SIP settings. Installed it, spent a couple of minutes entering settings, called the test number, it worked. Called the house phone, yes, that works, but there's a heck of a delay. Called Sipgate STD number from house phone, it rang, I could talk both ways, still with a delay.

A bit later I tried to show the wife, but now it does not work? The test number says it's all set up. I've used port forwarding as their tech suggested before, but the SIP option no longer appears on the phone app.

I think I've got a turkey here, not what I wanted. Even if VOIP worked, once you exit the app it goes off, not what I wanted at all.

I wonder if Orange will honour the 14 day cancellation period they told me about? Is it good enough to say the phone isn't what I expected of it and see if they will swap it out for a different handset ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Thu 18-Apr-13 02:00:13
Print Post

Re: Think I've boobed

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Call them and explain that you are cancelling under the 14days as the advisor gave you incorrect information in regards to the phones features, point out that you will be happy to exchange the phone for one that supports the features you require. If for any reason they refuse (I doubt they will but may try), just say 'Okay! I'll cancel the whole service!'. You are covered by the sales of goods and services act and there own 14 day policy, just do it quickly before those 14 days pass... Make sure you take a note of the advisor you speak to, get them to note your account and obtain any contact details or reference for your call....

Good luck....

Edited by shaneosborne (Thu 18-Apr-13 02:02:11)

Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 18-Apr-13 02:04:17
Print Post

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Cheers for that, helps to have a vote of confidence in facing companies with dissatisfaction smile

Virgin Cable (L)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 18-Apr-13 08:48:11
Print Post

your sig is broke

it appears as "[img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653036.png[/img]"

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 18-Apr-13 14:10:37
Print Post

Called, explained, yes, they'll take it back and reset my account. I should have my old SIM working shortly. Have to send the new phone back by special delivery at my cost, make sure I delete any apps I've added first.

So, where now? What phone to get that will work with VOIP? Any with Android I guess. The rep. suggested the Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 (GB) . Also on the list of phones I can pick from (Android version in brackets) are: HTC One SV (ICE), HTC Desire C (ICE), Samsung Galaxy S III Mini (JB) or Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 (GB)

I don't want a Blackberry, and have now removed the odd Nokia Asha that remained, I also discarded the Dora as an option. Others I could have: Sony Xperia J, Samsung Solid Xcover or HTC Windows 8S

My last phone was a Nokia E5, worked fine for ages, until I got out of warranty...

I've to wait a few days for the phone to get back there and be processed, then I simply do a new upgrade. Phew... Didn't want to spend another 24 months without VOIP, or only having it via a PC Softphone.

Virgin Cable (L)
  Print Thread

Jump to