Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 23-Apr-13 10:20:25
Print Post

Using VOIP on a mobile - bandwidth ?

[link to this post]

I know that using VOIP via my mobile whilst at home will be connected to the WiFi and should allow calls without clocking up bandwidth on the mobile itself.

The question is, if I leave it activated, what effect does that have on bandwidth when I'm out and about - will it quickly gobble up my 500Mb monthly allowance by constantly checking that it is registered?

That's before I even consider using it for calls. ..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Apr-13 12:18:25
Print Post

Re: Using VOIP on a mobile - bandwidth ?

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Registration requests wont use much, however keeping your SIP client active will eat your phone battery.

Also beware of your phone connecting to unsecured wireless while sending your login details..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StructuredCommunications Bonded FTTC 74.5Mbps Download & 22.4Mbps Upload.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:04:27
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

Good info, thanks.

I noticed that having VOIP active on my old Nokia E5 meant having to charge the battery more often.

I hadn't factored in connecting to unsecured wireless connections when out and about, I just assumed everyone had secure WiFi - which is obviously wrong.

I'm conscious of it at home, and have implemented MAC address security so only devices I've authorised should get access. That was a swine when I added my last phone, not realising that the phone had an MAC address, and so did it's Bluetooth. Took me ages to work out why I couldn't connect via Bluetooth...

Virgin Cable (L30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User martinsq
(regular) Thu 25-Apr-13 02:18:43
Print Post

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought mobile bb providers with the exception of 3 block VoIP ports ?
Regards,
Martin
Standard User connormill
(learned) Thu 25-Apr-13 03:08:34
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by martinsq:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought mobile bb providers with the exception of 3 block VoIP ports ?
Regards,
Martin

I think you're right.

I know that T-Mobile's old web 'n' walk data plans blocked voip unless you paid for a higher package.I would suspect that if they've blocked VoIP in the past theres no reason they'd lift the ban.

I'm fairly sure vodafone block it too.

EE made a point of allowing it, but given how extortionate their prices are I'd expect nothing less

I'm on three and use the Skype app to call family in Spain all the time, quality is good over 3G. What it does not like is the handover between cells, that causes a wee drop in the call.

Switched to Be* since BT decided I am not getting FTTC!

Might go for 2 bonded lines, speed aint bad at the moment

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2417616320.png
Standard User TMCR
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 09:03:10
Print Post

I've had VOIP up and running on Orange. I had a Nokia E5 and it used the native system on that, built into the phone. The e5 stopped working properly though, so I've been using an older phone for a while. I've also had it running through an Orange mobile broadband dongle, using a laptop with a simple headset plugged in.

When I got the Nokia Lumia I managed to put OctroTalk on it but it only worked when that App was open, which was no good really. I was able to call out and receive calls though.

My intended use of the VOIP number is to use it on my new mobile, due to arrive today, for mainly incoming calls. I have credit with the provider to make outgoing if I need to, which was one of the selling points as it's a lot cheaper to call 0845 number on VOIP than my main Orange number or my house phone on Virgin.

When I've spoken with Orange about upgrading the phone, and my requirements, they've said it will support VOIP on their network. I may have to download an app like Sipdroid or Zoiper for Android. I'll see how it goes when I get the phone.

Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User TMCR
(member) Fri 26-Apr-13 17:07:02
Print Post

Pleased to be able to report that the new Phone, a Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 on Orange contract, arrived yesterday. All set up and I've installed 3CX for VOIP from the Google Apps store, configured my Sipgate account and all works just fine.

Very easy to set up, much easier than it was on my old Nokia E5. Test calls made, can call each way and there's just a bit of delay to contend with. I've tested using the home WiFi and the 3G signal too. On the home router I had to allow the port mapping, but thats normal anyway.

smile

Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User morphix
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 01:16:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by TMCR:
I know that using VOIP via my mobile whilst at home will be connected to the WiFi and should allow calls without clocking up bandwidth on the mobile itself.

The question is, if I leave it activated, what effect does that have on bandwidth when I'm out and about - will it quickly gobble up my 500Mb monthly allowance by constantly checking that it is registered?

That's before I even consider using it for calls. ..

If you're going to use VOIP on mobile definitely consider GiffGaff as your network of choice. It offers unlimited Internet for just £12/month which is the cheapest deal I think, plus you get unlimited texts and 250 mins talk-time, and free any-time calls to other GiffGaff users.

I use GiffGaff for VOIP via Skype (and I have the Skype virtual landline numbers routing calls to my Skype). I also subscribed to Skype's premium service add-on so I can make outgoing calls from Skype to landlines. It works a charm and is very stable on GiffGaff which uses the O2 network.

Oddly enough, Skype seems to work MUCH better on mobile internet, rather than WiFi on the mobile (in the house).

Another little tip.. Try 18185 if you want to use VOIP on a regular DECT handset. It's a great FREE service that offers unlimited any-time free calls to UK landlines, and great discounted rates internationally. It's the best VOIP service I've used, hard to tell its even VOIP sounds like a normal landline. It even works on mobiles (that allow freephone calls such as GiffGaff) as 18185 also has an 0808 freephone number to divert calls. Note: Sky,Virgin,and most mobile networks block this service and/or charge for calls, so be careful.

Edited by morphix (Wed 04-Sep-13 01:21:10)

Standard User TMCR
(member) Wed 04-Sep-13 12:11:11
Print Post

[re: morphix] [link to this post]

You replied to an old post but anyway... I am happy using Orange, I've been a contract customer with them since 1996 and very few problems in that time. The VOIP service works OK over their network and uses minimal data when active.

I've not needed to leave it switched on all the time, I just use it for certain calls - like to 0845 numbers. I'm mainly housebound these days so the phone links to the home wifi and has signal boost active to keep data usage down. When I have been out and left VOIP active I've not noticed the available data going down very much.

I went with Sipgate for a proper UK number and account, it works, that's what I needed. I have Skype available too. I already had unlimited landline calls on the mobile, plus anytime minutes if I need to call a mobile.

It's 0845 numbers that were the problem and the reason for looking at VOIP. Where my home phone, in Virgin, costs 11.24p connection charge then 10.22p a minute, from my Orange mobile it's either 30p or 35p a minute, their website isn't very clear on which rate applies to my tariff. I can use the Sipgate service for 3p a minute. Makes me feel mega ripped off with Virgin and Orange !

The other advantage is that when I make a call on the VOIP line the caller ID is my Sipgate number, which is a genuine UK landline number that I can be called back on.

Virgin Cable (L30)
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Fri 06-Sep-13 01:44:52
Print Post

http://www.saynoto0870.com lists alternatives for 0845 numbers which may be covered by your mobile inclusive minutes.

You may also wish to sign this petition:

http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/premium-rate-phone-...

Michael Chare
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to