Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User john71
(experienced) Wed 15-May-13 16:03:12
Print Post

Porting BT call sign number?

[link to this post]

Has anyone ported a BT call sign number over to VOIP or Sipgate in particular?

Im thinking of doing this but wish to keep the primary number and the BT account active. Sipgate say it is possible for a £20 fee, but from what I have read it will cease the BT account and any services on the line.

Any thoughts?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 15-May-13 18:50:31
Print Post

Re: Porting BT call sign number?

[re: john71] [link to this post]

if you were to stop the Callsign service it wouldn't cease the line, so I don't follow why that would be the case with porting it to VoIP.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User sean2003
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 15:36:38
Print Post

I ported a call sign number in the past, it didn't go as well as it should have.

I work in the VoIP industry and see ports go through every day, call sign ports certainly have a tendency to go wrong more than normal number ports.

It can certainly be done - best to be prepared for interruption on the numbers and potentially a loss of broadband for a time if all goes badly wrong.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jun-13 21:55:20
Print Post

My phone number (originally Bell Cable, then NTL, then Virgin Media) was ported to BT as a callsign, then moved to Sipgate.

BT insisted my VM number was the primary number so when I tried porting it, they cancelled the second number rather than move that to the primary. They then cancelled the primary, rather than re-instate the secondary as a primary.

I think you get the picture. smile

Be prepared for lots of hassle!

Keef- Dartford Kent UK - Plusnet via Siemens Gigaset SE587

Previously - Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream,
Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User Olly232
(member) Mon 08-Jul-13 12:16:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by john71:

Im thinking of doing this but wish to keep the primary number and the BT account active. Sipgate say it is possible for a £20 fee, but from what I have read it will cease the BT account and any services on the line.

Any thoughts?

Have you managed to do this yet John? I would like to do the same thing and cannot afford to lose the primary number, or the call sign number for that matter.
Standard User john71
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-13 21:50:13
Print Post

[re: Olly232] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Olly232:
In reply to a post by john71:

Any thoughts?

Have you managed to do this yet John? I would like to do the same thing and cannot afford to lose the primary number, or the call sign number for that matter.

No, I use the primary number for business and have a year free from O2 and a credit from them to place me in contract so cant afford to take the risk of being totally disconnected in error.
  Print Thread

Jump to