Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Sat 19-Oct-13 19:28:31
Print Post

SIP Phone with POE

[link to this post]

I am after a cheap 2nd hand, half decent temporary phone from ebay but i need some tips.

I have just moved over to a 4G provider that provide an aerial on the roof and a wireless router for indoors.
I have set up a dmz on the new router and forwarded it to my dd-wrt router that has all the config set up for the whole family.

I need a corded voip phone to plug into my dd-wrt router for the main phone indoors. The problem i have come up against are not knowing if some of these phones that i am seeing on ebay require a phone system or if they can just be plugged into the ethernet ports on my router. Additionally, regarding POE. I have seen some use a cisco standard and others use IEEE. So i am guessing that i cannot plug a cisco 7960G into mr router, configure it up via the sip page and expect it to work.

Also, will i have any problems that i am DMZ'ing traffic to the dd-wrt.

What IP phone models support the Cisco pre-standard method of powered device detection?

A. These Cisco IP phones can accept Cisco pre-standard PoE from a card integrated with a Cisco Catalyst switch or a Catalyst in-line power patch panel:

7985G
7960G

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
Mitch

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13821...

Edited by Mitchy_mitch (Sat 19-Oct-13 19:30:09)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Oct-13 23:47:40
Print Post

Re: SIP Phone with POE

[re: Mitchy_mitch] [link to this post]

So far as the Power over Ethernet goes, you should be looking for devices that support standards compliant PoE - 802.3af or the later 802.3at standard. If you use an 802.3at power injector, that will work with either standard.

The bigger issue is finding a phone that you can configure yourself, as many of these devices are intended for use solely with provisioning servers.

Probably the easiest answer is to use a SIP ATA with the phones you already have. You probably won't pay much more for one of these than you will for a decent 802.3at injector.

If you want DECT cordless, Gigaset make some excellent SIP DECT base stations and phones. Depending on your budget, a Gigaset solution can be very sophisticated indeed - some of the high end handsets support Bluetooth headsets, for example.

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Sun 20-Oct-13 14:16:40
Print Post

Re: SIP Phone with POE

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks for the informative feedback.
I bought a Yealink SIP-T20P phone, hopefully this'll work .

I have also signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a local number. Unfortunately i am unable to port my existing BT number over to them unless i subscribe to a higher than standard package. As the phone will pretty much be just for the mrs calling her Mum & Sister, so i hardly need any of the cool features that these phones can do.

It'll be good that i can send & receive calls from my mobile using the landline number. Hopefully sipgate will allow me to carry out these features without paying any extra costs.

This is all new to me, so hopefully i will be able to get some extra features for very little cost. Due to not needing a landline now i have this 4G connection, hopefully i will be able to have a working ip phone for hardly any cost.

Any tips are welcome.
Thanks
Mitch

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13822...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to