Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 08-Apr-14 13:48:29
Print Post

Transferring a BT phone number to voip.

[link to this post]

We have an old phone number with BT that was on a physical line until about 10 years ago and since then 'remote call forwarding' was setup to forward calls to a new number in a different area and the physical line ceased to exist.

BT charge about £600 line rental and about £400 a year in call charges to do this.

I'd like to move the line to a voip line with someone like Vonage where the cost would be about £150 a year however this doesn't seem possible as it's a virtual number.

voipphone seem to think they may be able to do it so I may try them but does anyone know of any way to do this or other companies I should try?

The only other thing I can think of is getting a physical line installed and asking BT to put the number on it and then transferring it to voip afterwards.

The number is of historic importance hence the desire to keep it.

Edited by StuB (Tue 08-Apr-14 13:48:49)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 08-Apr-14 16:55:47
Print Post

Re: Transferring a BT phone number to voip.

[re: StuB] [link to this post]

Why not transfer it to a BT VOIP service? At least initially.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User StuB
(committed) Tue 08-Apr-14 17:20:48
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply and the idea.

We spoke with someone at BT before and they didn't seem to think they could offer us what we needed however looking at the BT Business Voice site now it looks like it may cover what we need and while it may be a little more expensive than Vonage it will still be a shed load less than we're currently paying.

I'll give them another call and try a different rep.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kev_445
(learned) Tue 08-Apr-14 17:40:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuB:
Thanks for the reply and the idea.

We spoke with someone at BT before and they didn't seem to think they could offer us what we needed however looking at the BT Business Voice site now it looks like it may cover what we need and while it may be a little more expensive than Vonage it will still be a shed load less than we're currently paying.

I'll give them another call and try a different rep.

We should be able to port the number for you, we have a one off porting charge of £25+VAT, our usual monthly charges apply.

For more details, please visit:
http://www.tamartelecommunications.co.uk/telephone-n...

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Standard User armshead
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 08:55:29
Print Post

I transferred a number I had had for almost 50 years from BT to Sipgate. I now wish I had not done this since all the nuisance calls, several a day, all come in on that number.
Standard User flipdee
(member) Wed 09-Apr-14 09:09:26
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

Just to throw another name into the mix, Andrews and Arnold's VOIP service is outstanding and they are VERY proactive in getting numbers ported over.
The only quam I have with AA is the charging structure doesn't suit some of my customers who want "package/bundled in calls to 01 numbers etc". No matter how much, but the charges are so low you won't actually accrue as big a bill as you'd think.
Although for inclusive mobile calls from your voip number Soho66 I think do the best value packages, also incredibly proactive in number porting and generally very good value too.

I'd just stick a porting request in with one of these providers and see what happens.
Or at least hit the gaining provider with a heads up on what the number is, just incase a standard porting request will fail, such as having Redcare on the physical line, some people forget about then end up paying additional fees for admin on re-applying for porting a second time.

N.B, Just looked at Tamar's packages and have to say, they look pretty good value too. (Mobile Diversion minutes, not entirely sure why they can include call diversion to mobile and not straight forward calls to mobile, anyway.)

Edited by flipdee (Wed 09-Apr-14 09:11:21)

Standard User chrisstiles
(newbie) Fri 11-Apr-14 12:25:14
Print Post

[re: flipdee] [link to this post]

The *only* thing that puts me off a little with A&A is that they aren't ITSPA members as far as I know. Now generally everyone I know has had no problems with them - but it would be really nice to have some kind of 'cover' in case things go wrong with subsequent porting out of a number etc.

How do their charges stack up against sipgate/voipfone etc?
Standard User Mr_Morpheus
(newbie) Sat 12-Apr-14 11:08:13
Print Post

[re: chrisstiles] [link to this post]

Porting an ancient number with no physical line may prove difficult. However, whichever provider you choose should have an agreement in place with BT and be able to pull the number over.

Be aware that it can take up to 10 business days to pull a number over, longer if the losing provider decides to be a b*tch wink

---
I am NOT affiliated with ANY ISP on thinkbroadband.com, I have used various ISPs and I AM knowledgeable on the subject of broadband.

"Seek and ye shall find"
Standard User chrisstiles
(newbie) Sat 12-Apr-14 14:54:01
Print Post

[re: Mr_Morpheus] [link to this post]

It's more about subsequent transfer out. AIUI one of the advantages of ITSPA membership is that transfer out is guarenteed even in cases where the provider has gone into bankrupcy etc.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Apr-14 15:07:49
Print Post

[re: Mr_Morpheus] [link to this post]

Should be fairly easy. BT will still see the number as active.

The only tricky part will be the address, BT are fussy and it would be worth checking out what address is listed against the number before the authority form is submitted but with the proof the OP is paying for the number, you'd assume it would be that address smile

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to