Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Leoheart
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 06:01:08
Print Post

Skype to skype International calls through PC Wirelessly?

[link to this post]

Hi

I dont know if this is in the right place or not but please move it if it is not.

My question spans a few things so not sure where to place this.

I have friends/relatives/online gaming friends around the world who I Instant Message through Skype but would like to add video and actually see who I am chatting to.

I have only been using Skype for about a month on my mobile phone and I am getting hammered. Too many friends...small amount of data allowance.

I have connected the mobile up to my plusnet router wirelessly but holding a phone for ages wears out my little old arm LOL

I have a fast computer wired to the router sat in the corner and that got me thinking

So...

Heres my questions

Will Skype to Skype accounts for international IM and video calls down the wired broadband be expensive to do for video calls?

I am on Plusnet Extra Fibre 250 with 250 gigs of allowance but was wondering if the video calls were in or outside the allowance and I would get charged loads for it. ?

My friends at work said for free international skype to skype calls to connect my phone up to my wifi at home and do it like that. But checking my mobile phone my data allowance has been eaten up incredibly quickly in a few days.

Can I buy a PCI wireless card, install it in my desktop computer, headphones webcam etc and when I want to do a video call...disconnect from wired and connect through the wireless card ?
Is this the best and most economical way of doing it for international calls?
Are there any drawbacks?
Is there a difference between doing video calls through wired and wifi on a desktop PC

Which is the best most economical...way you would do this

Remember I am calling countries overseas.
If I have to go up to the nect package which is unlimited I will if it is going to eat into my data.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated

Thank you

Ed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 21:18:27
Print Post

Re: Skype to skype International calls through PC Wirelessly

[re: Leoheart] [link to this post]

I don't understand the point of the PCI wireless card since if its a desktop computer you are still tied to the desk by the size of the box and monitor.

In terms of data usage, yes Skype will count since it is data, and some example of the levels of usage from different apps is at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/factsheet/q1-20...

In short a voice call over Skype will use around 0.05 GB per hour
A video call will use around 0.4GB per hour

The most comfortable way to do extended Skype calls would be to buy a headset that is compatible with the computer, or even a Bluetooth headset for the mobile.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sat 03-May-14 21:58:12
Print Post

[re: Leoheart] [link to this post]

There is no real difference between using your mobile wirelessly to home router, your PC wirelessly or your PC wired. Skype don't charge for these calls whether you call Slough or Singapore, and Plusnet don't distinguish this traffic for usage purposes - it will count towards your free 250GB just like browsing the web etc.

I think your friends just meant (correctly) it makes sense on your phone to use your much bigger home broadband allowance rather than your 3G/4G mobile data allowance.

You can monitor your usage on the Plusnet member centre, if it looks like you'll go over your limit, then you can ask Plusnet about charges/upgrading.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Leoheart
(newbie) Mon 05-May-14 23:23:44
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Thank you very much to the two of you for the good clear information and the quick reply.
Much appreciated.
Helped me to get my head around it. I was scared I think of racking up some international calls or data used internationaly somehow if I didnt connect properly..
Thought it best to ask first.

But on a good note, thanks to the info above, I have successfully used Skype over the weekend just through my wired broadband and got the video going via a web cam with built in mic......
Thanks again

Edited by Leoheart (Mon 05-May-14 23:34:58)

Print Thread

Jump to