Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Dec-14 20:21:21
Print Post

Distortion(?) on VoIP

[link to this post]

For some years I have had a DrayTel VoIP number, initially connected via ADSL now FTTC. On ADSL I used a DreyTek Vigor 2800VG and now a DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn.

With both set ups I experience a clicking like distortion, sometime to the point of intelligibility on some incoming calls. NEVER on outgoing.

Most of my calls come from the nearby exchanges and mobiles, although about 30% from a local authorities phone system which is likely ISDN.

It is inconsistent, in that calls from the same number are not always affected.

To me it suggests that at some interface point between the PSTN and DrayTel's equipment incoming calls are routed via the next available interface and thus a matter of chance whether there is a problem or not.

Besides being present on calls that I answer, it also occurs on calls when I am away from my phone and thus go to voicemail. The .WAV file voicemail I then receive can also have the same distortion present. Thus I do not believe that it is my equipment.

DrayTel have investigated, but with not that many calls and the random nature - I cannot predict in advance if there will be a problem - it has not been resolved.

So my question is, if I should port my VoIP number to another supplier what would happen? I understand that incoming calls would still go to DrayTel (or their VoIP supplier if that is the case) and then the VoIP call get routed back to me.

So would I gain anything by porting? I understand that VoIP numbers are "owned" by their initial issuing company, is that correct?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 12-Dec-14 00:57:21
Print Post

Re: Distortion(?) on VoIP

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Why not try an account with another provider e.g. sipgate or voipfone which will cost you next to nothing, without porting your number. Voipfone allow ports, Sipgate do not on their residential product.

Michael Chare
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Dec-14 09:05:46
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I don't want to loose 'my' number as it appears in a number of documents and A-Z guides which only get reprinted occasionally.

To be honest, I am not sure exactly how porting works - on the basis of what I described in my OP, it seems that the company holding 'my' number (DrayTel) would have(?) to pass on my calls to another provider f.o.c. ??

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Thu 18-Dec-14 18:23:57
Print Post

You don't say how the calls are being terminated? Are they onto a soft phone on a PC, or to a physical VOIP phone?

If its a physical phone do you have another to test with, or can you install a soft phone to test for the issue?

As for porting - you would need to check with the provider, some won't allow you to port out if there part of there number block - it might also be worth contacting there support dept to ask them to look into any fault - it could be anywhere on the system and they may be able to assist further.
Standard User ferretuk
(regular) Thu 18-Dec-14 22:14:26
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IamQ:
You don't say how the calls are being terminated? Are they onto a soft phone on a PC, or to a physical VOIP phone?

No, but he did say:
In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
The .WAV file voicemail I then receive can also have the same distortion present. Thus I do not believe that it is my equipment.

If the voicemail service is supplied by Draytel (not clear on this point) and not by equipment supplied by the OP then his connection and local setup would seem to be ruled out.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:39:28
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Oops!

I missed out on your reply.

The calls are terminated using a Draytek Vigor 2920vn and a conventional desk telephone.

The Voicemail service is provided by Draytel.

So, the "Distortion" on incoming calls - I have never experienced it on an outgoing call made from the conventional desk telephone via the Draytek Vigor 2920vn - can be present on some calls which I answer or are answered after 30 seconds by Draytel's system. Draytel then send me the WAV file via email.

My internet connection is via FTTC so ample speed up and down.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 04-Mar-15 19:44:28
Print Post

Then like you - I'm at a bit of a loss. It can only be something on the analogue side.

Dodgy line on the PSTN side, dodgy cable into a channel bank etc. If its still going on regular enough to notice I'd try and get DrayTel to re-open a case a try again.

Sorry not much more help
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Mar-15 16:01:33
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

It is certainly annoying. If it happened 100% of the time or on outgoing calls I could at least demonstrate it to DrayTel's help desk. But like all intermittent faults it will just not appear on demand.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 10-Mar-15 19:31:13
Print Post

You mention that occasionally, it occurs in the .WAV Files.

Have you tried sending them to DrayTel's Help Desk?
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Aug-15 00:12:51
Print Post

Well, realised about a week ago that the problem of clicking like noise/distortion has disappeared. Well, at least it has not occurred recently.

Looks like whatever bit of kit at my supplier that was responsible has been replaced or upgraded.

Fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

HUAWEI E5776
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to