Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Olly232
(member) Fri 13-Feb-15 14:29:53
Print Post

Handset required for use with two VOIP service providers

[link to this post]

I have become a bit confused with the terminology used with respect to lines and numbers. I would like to have a handset that can operate concurrently with two VOIP service providers (Sipgate and Voipfone) such that I could receive calls on either number and make outgoing calls via the chosen service? Are there any reasonably inexpensive handsets that offer this feature?

Thanks for reading.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 13-Feb-15 19:49:53
Print Post

Re: Handset required for use with two VOIP service providers

[re: Olly232] [link to this post]

Have a look at the Snom 300 Black on the Voipfone website.

I suggest you ring Voipfone and discuss if you are interested. I have only read that it can handle 4 Sip registrations.

Michael Chare
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Feb-15 21:38:12
Print Post

Have a look at te Gigaset N300IP or N500IP - they are DECT base stations which can work with several registrations.

The issue you need to be careful with is selecting the outgoing line - most seem to have a default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Feb-15 08:31:29
Print Post

I use an AAstra 55i that I bought on eBay for £21. It has 4 lines and each can be programmed for different sip providers. Incoming calls will present themselves at whichever line you have set up for that provider.

I am currently setting it up to work with Incrediblepbx running on a Raspberry Pi

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited- but no ipv6)
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sat 14-Feb-15 10:27:01
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Your choices are endless to achieve your goals. A VoIP desktop phone such as the snom320 would be fine but a wireless phone maybe best in a domestic environment, For that you could use up to six Gigaset VoIP phones from a transmitter unit. This has connectivity for your exchange line and broadband service from whence your VoIP service comes from

An alternative approach is to have a VoIP enabled router, aka Draytek 2830vN, giving you the ability to use any domestic handset on the market. You can loop through your exchange and also receive calls from one or more VoIP providers. You select routing of outgoing calls by creating a dial plan.

Then there are Analogue Terminal Adapters [ATA] that uses a spare port on your existing router. The downside of such a unit is that you can't merge in your exchange line .

It's horses for courses and I don't know which of the alternatives would suit you best but very marginally out in front would be a Gigaset setup. An online search would throw up which of their range would be to your liking.

Remember that it is always best, and often mandatorily, to route outgoing emergency calls via an exchange line.
Standard User Olly232
(member) Sat 14-Feb-15 16:08:00
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Many thanks for everyones comments. I've been given plenty to think about and the possibility of combining the two VOIP provider requirement with other features involving my PSTN line. I have a Sipgate account for outgoing non-UK calls. My work colleague has moved his business line to Voipfone. Sipgate does not have a peering agreement with Voipfone so I would like to use my free Voipfone account to receive calls from my colleague, preferrably using the same handset.

I did try using an ATA (SPA3102) a while back to combine VOIP with a PSTN line but the PSTN calls would often drop the line 20 seconds into a call so I gave up.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 14-Feb-15 16:25:45
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Then there are Analogue Terminal Adapters [ATA] that uses a spare port on your existing router. The downside of such a unit is that you can't merge in your exchange line .

The Gigaset N300IP supports VOIP along with one analog PSTN - a very flexible solution.

M H C

Standard User Olly232
(member) Sat 14-Feb-15 18:55:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The Gigaset N300IP supports VOIP along with one analog PSTN - a very flexible solution.

Thank you for your advice.

That device couild be just what I need. I guess I can use my existing Panasonic DECT phones with it as well. I think I'll buy one and see what its like.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 14-Feb-15 19:48:21
Print Post

The N300A IP has an answer phone too.

I purchased one a few months back - however I could not, at that time get it working with BTs VOIP so it went back. However, that problem is now ironed out and I need to buy another.

Let me know how you get on.

M H C

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:48:11
Print Post

we use the gigaset N300 units and handsets, they are great for VoIP. we use them with voipfone as do quite a lot of our customers and you can as mentioned have multiple voip accounts on them even if you only have one handset.

it has a PSTN port if you need it, which we have never used here.

In reply to a post by Olly232:
In reply to a post by MHC:

Thank you for your advice.

That device couild be just what I need. I guess I can use my existing Panasonic DECT phones with it as well. I think I'll buy one and see what its like.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
  Print Thread

Jump to