Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Mon 28-Sep-15 13:28:29
Print Post

VoIP phone that also does POTS

[link to this post]

Is there a VoIP handset which can also take a 'normal' BT type landline. So one handset, one (or more) VoIP lines and one BT POTS.

I'm trying to replace a two line BT phone, at the moment I'm using a VoIP adaptor with it.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 28-Sep-15 13:47:18
Print Post

Re: VoIP phone that also does POTS

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Is DECT an option? The Siemens Gigaset N300IP base station handles VOIP and POTS and is available bundled with a variety of DECT handsets.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Mon 28-Sep-15 13:59:26
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I use that Gigaset box with a triple BT Diverse cordless phone set , and it works adequately althought there are some 'quirks' like I cannot change the date/time on the 2 handsets connected to Sipgate VOIP but can on the third which isn't!! Certainly would be better with an 'approved' phone, but good enough.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 28-Sep-15 14:30:18
Print Post

An alternative that does the same thing is a VoIP enabled router. You then have a greater choice of cheaper POTS handsets that can be used.
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:38:16
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Yes, I am also doing that but now show me a two line POTS phone! I have an old BT Diverse or something but it has annoyances. I don't think there are any two line phones anymore. That's why I was thinking of coming at it from the other end!
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 08:40:26
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

I'd prefer a corded phone for this. I'm not clear how you can choose which line to use via a DECT phone. Maybe the Gigaset stuff allows you to choose but I find DECT phone full of useless 'features', too small and a fiddle to use.
Standard User mikejp
(member) Tue 29-Sep-15 09:06:11
Print Post

I admit to 'stumbling through' the set up of my Diverse phones, but what I have is two of the three 'linked' to the VOIP on the Gigaset box and the third just 'linked' to the Diverse base station. The Gigaset box enables you to select the landline as a second routing. Apart from the minor inconveniences it works well - I can get two different calls on the VOIP number at the same time AND call and receive on my landline number on the third handset, while the Diverse ansaphone works well on the landline.

Just wish I knew what I had done......smile

Edited by mikejp (Tue 29-Sep-15 09:07:53)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 29-Sep-15 10:03:18
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

I think we will all agree that the Gigaset VoIP phones does everything it says on the tin but of course it is a mix and match of several VoIP identities and a single landline number. I don't believe there is any hardware now available that can handle two POTS lines to a single handset.

Of course you could convert one of the POTS number to VoIP but that might not be desirable if the use of that POTS landline for some other reason like an intruder alarm.

The neat thing about a VoIP enable router is that you can use any POTS phone which are considerably cheaper than VoIP enabled handsets.

As the original OP, my investigation centres on whether you can store DTMF tones to satisfy the menu commands of an automated attendant to establish a call to the person or department you want. So far I have only been able to achieve this with a snom phone. Is the same thing possible with a VoIP enabled router?
Standard User glasspath
(newbie) Tue 29-Sep-15 11:47:19
Print Post

I'd just add that I've used Gigaset DECT/voip phones for years with great success using Sipgate on Virgin Media broadband. At home an S685IP handles the VM pots line mainly for incoming calls but uses voip for most outgoing calls with considerable cost savings. My sons in student houses have used A540IP with no need for a pots line at all. I am always amazed that voip phones seem to remain a niche market in this country and you don't find them much in mainstream shops. These phones handle 1 pots line and up to 10 (I think) voip so potentially several people in a house can have different IP numbers or you can use multiple voip providers though I haven't utilised these features. Looks like current models are A510IP, S810A etc.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Tue 29-Sep-15 11:56:52
Print Post

Siemens gigaset N300IP , you can register your handsets to it (up to 6) and it does multiple voip lines and one PSTN line as standard.

you can also then have multiple simultaneous voip calls on the same 'line' via different handsets , which you cannot do with an adaptor.

cheers

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Is there a VoIP handset which can also take a 'normal' BT type landline. So one handset, one (or more) VoIP lines and one BT POTS.

I'm trying to replace a two line BT phone, at the moment I'm using a VoIP adaptor with it.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to