Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 07-Mar-16 10:53:47
Print Post

VOIP and AAISP

[link to this post]

I was thinking of changing to voip with AAISP as I already use them for my broadband, but was put off when I read their terms and conditions that there could be no cap put on my charges and would therefore be giving them an open chequebook.
Now I should state at the outset that I do not doubt AAISP in any way as they have been terrific to deal with for my broadband but what if my voip was hacked, I would then be responsible for all and any charges no matter how much they were.
Has anyone had such issues with voip or am I being too careful. Also any pointers regarding voip, the do's and dont's, the pitfalls and good points would be appreciated.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Mon 07-Mar-16 14:00:54
Print Post

Re: VOIP and AAISP

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

You need to look at what each VOIP provider will do, e.g. for voicemail, can you call 1571 or similar, do you get text message warnings, do you get emails with a sound file, etc?

You can have several a/cs and with something like a Gigaset N300IP it is easy to route outgoing calls via some one like DiscountVoip.

My main a/c is with Voipfone, I send calls with no CLI to a Sipgate a/c, and I also have an AAISP a/cs. The first two have to be topped up. Only the Voipfone a/c has automatic top up. IIRC very expensive calls are blocked.

Michael Chare
Standard User clivers
(learned) Mon 07-Mar-16 20:49:01
Print Post

[re: corsa57] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by corsa57:
I was thinking of changing to voip with AAISP as I already use them for my broadband, but was put off when I read their terms and conditions that there could be no cap put on my charges and would therefore be giving them an open chequebook.
Now I should state at the outset that I do not doubt AAISP in any way as they have been terrific to deal with for my broadband but what if my voip was hacked, I would then be responsible for all and any charges no matter how much they were.
Has anyone had such issues with voip or am I being too careful. Also any pointers regarding voip, the do's and dont's, the pitfalls and good points would be appreciated.

Have you read this page about VoIP Security?
http://aa.net.uk/kb-telecoms-security.html

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User corsa57
(learned) Mon 07-Mar-16 22:18:00
Print Post

[re: clivers] [link to this post]

Thank you clivers I have read this and it was the last paragraph that alarmed me.
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Thu 24-Mar-16 18:33:50
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

SipGate also has automatic topup, we are using it on both our basic accounts.

To the OP, we are using four gigaset handsets paired to an N300 base unit (with answerphone built in). We use SipGate and have a pair of 01 numbers for outside callers and its working great.

The main thing is to look at the call packages, basic rates, features etc... either way whoever you go with I recommend the gigaset units, they work really well in our house (thick walls) and we also have a DECT repeater to increase the range to the other part of the house for the second number, works fine with all VoIP features.

Cheers,

Moorsweb rural wireless broadband
12Mbit down / 7mbit up, great service.

Edited by mrvanx (Thu 24-Mar-16 18:37:40)

Print Thread

Jump to