Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Fri 29-Apr-16 18:59:30
Print Post

Number Porting

[link to this post]

Is it possible to port an existing landline number to a VoIP service? IE do a seamless switch from POTS to VoIP
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Fri 29-Apr-16 22:14:41
Print Post

Re: Number Porting

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

Yes, but note that the number port will cease your POTS line and any asset associated with it i.e. ADSL/VDSL broadband.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-16 22:28:15
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Not always.

You can port a number and do a renumber of the line whilst retaining any services on that line.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 30-Apr-16 09:54:49
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
Not always.

You can port a number and do a renumber of the line whilst retaining any services on that line.

Matt

Phew! I wouldn't even to attempt to do so as services on the line would almost inevitably require re-configuring and possibly fees in the process. The scope for everything going t**s up are endless.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 30-Apr-16 10:31:02
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Possibly yes - Looks risky to me smile

http://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-broadband-...
http://www.revk.uk/2016/04/keeping-your-number.html
http://www.revk.uk/2016/04/number-porting-update.html
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-16 13:31:25
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Anything involving BT is risky when it isn't the norm.

We've only done it the once and was for my line which I wanted on VoIP. Order went through fine, just completed 2 weeks after it was meant to.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-16 13:55:11
Print Post

Yes, have done it twice for my connections here.

I had an ISDN2e service and moved one of the numbers to VOIP - there is also an underlying 056x number. A second became a PSTN number and the other IDSN numbers were given up - no further need. The a year or so later the PSTN was converted to VOIP too - a minor issue as it had originated as a primary ISDN however that was resolved.

Just be careful if you want to move the number your xDSL service is supplied on. You may be best talking to a BT adviser and doing it in stages - renumber the line and have your old number diverted to that number or your mobile. Then once that has happened arrange for it to be ported to VOIP.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Wed 04-May-16 00:14:56
Print Post

Yes, but it does depend on the VOIP provider. You may find that you then have to pay the VOIP provider a regular amount.

Michael Chare
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Mon 23-May-16 14:16:26
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Also - unless things have changed - be aware that you need to quote the correct postcode assigned to the line in the number owner's database (as in the owning telco), else the porting request will be rejected with prejudice.

First time I came across it, after many months, I finally got through to a friendly person in Openreach who told me what the associated postcode was. It was a location that could only have been served by an out-of-area line. Which was impossible as there had been ADSL on it. The VoIP provider was impressed with my tenacity smile

The second time, the building had been allocated its own postcode distinct from the street after the line had been installed. That was a bit easier to track down, especially as staff still worked there who knew this. Although as the owning telco was C&W, the port came with its own unique set of problems frown

I'm sure there are 000's more horror stories out there. But don't forget that as we still have 90's tech for number portability, if the owning telco goes under, you lose the number, like all those poor Ionica subscribers......
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Mon 23-May-16 18:47:55
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mpellatt:
I'm sure there are 000's more horror stories out there. But don't forget that as we still have 90's tech for number portability, if the owning telco goes under, you lose the number, like all those poor Ionica subscribers......

AFAIK, if you ensure the Telco you port your number to is a member of ITSPA, then you should be protected against losing your number in those circumstances.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to