Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Fri 27-May-16 16:32:15
Print Post

VoIP Phone - recommendations

[link to this post]

Good Afternoon,

I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a decent (but not too expensive) VoIP phone?

I looked at Gigasetand Grandsteam (I know the second link is in USD - easiest link I found)

Which of those two Brands would be considered to be worth while? Do both support PSTN as well as VoIP?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Fri 27-May-16 21:01:46
Print Post

Re: VoIP Phone - recommendations

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

I can thoroughly recommend the Gigaset range. I've been using C47 handsets with a C475IP basestation for years and have just upgraded to C430 handsets with an N300A IP basestation as I need up to 4 concurrent calls.

Note that different packages of handet & basestation are available and that you'll need the N300 (or N300A if you want an answering machine) if you also need POTS integration. The N510IP base doesn't support POTS.

The Grandstream handset you've linked to is only a handset - You'll need the 715 package to get the base as well. This doesn't look like it supports POTS though...

Edited by ferretuk (Fri 27-May-16 21:02:16)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sat 28-May-16 00:29:50
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

I also have Gigaset C430H(s) with an N300IP.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 28-May-16 12:45:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
I can thoroughly recommend the Gigaset range. I've been using C47 handsets with a C475IP basestation for years and have just upgraded to C430 handsets with an N300A IP basestation as I need up to 4 concurrent calls.

Note that different packages of handet & basestation are available and that you'll need the N300 (or N300A if you want an answering machine) if you also need POTS integration. The N510IP base doesn't support POTS.

The Grandstream handset you've linked to is only a handset - You'll need the 715 package to get the base as well. This doesn't look like it supports POTS though...

IMHO Gigaset is the way to go but their entry level wireless VoIP phones might be best avoided. simply go up market in their range of available VoIP phones. Answerphone facilities might not be needed if a hosted VoIP service is used.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 28-May-16 13:53:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

I have recommended the Gigaset VoIP phones to several friends now and all are pleased with them. But features between various models seem to be very different which I find frustrating.

Examples:
1) Not all have the INT button, so how would you call another handset in such cases?
2) You can set the default line to be either VoIP or POTS but how do you route the call out onto the other service [In my C47H I simply add a * after entering the number but that is not true for other handsets in the Gigaset range]?
3) When the phone is configured with addition VoIP services, how do you route the call out onto the preferred VoIP service?
4) How do you transfer a call to another handset?

If you have got the answer to any of these questions, please post your findings.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 28-May-16 14:20:03
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Not sure about 1 (possibly a menu entry or a soft key?) but all the other functions you list are basestation settings and have nothing to do with the handset.

Edited by ferretuk (Sat 28-May-16 14:22:23)

Standard User nemeth782
(member) Sat 28-May-16 15:45:19
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:

Me too, it's excellent.

I'd go for an N300A if I did it again for the answerphone though.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 28-May-16 16:07:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Not sure about 1 (possibly a menu entry or a soft key?) but all the other functions you list are basestation settings and have nothing to do with the handset.

Ah, very good I didn't realize that. So which are the all singing base stations in the Gigaset range?
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Sat 28-May-16 17:39:35
Print Post

All the functions you list were in the C475IP and are in the N300IP(A) units. I assume that they're also in the N510IP but I haven't used one of those.

Edited by ferretuk (Sat 28-May-16 17:39:57)

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Sat 28-May-16 18:46:24
Print Post

This manual seems to cover a lot.

Looks like the Gigaset range get's the Thumbs Up from me!

smile

CJT.

On Aquiss 80/20 - Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to