Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MissRiaElaine
(newbie) Wed 09-Nov-16 00:20:26
Print Post

Wired phone incorporating VoIP and landline..?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a Siemens Gigaset N300IP phone system, but I'd prefer wired phones. There are obviously several SIP desk phones around, but I haven't seen any that incorporate a landline as the N300IP does.

Anyone know if there is such a beast..? Would prefer to avoid 2 phones on the desk smile

Ria
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Nov-16 17:41:08
Print Post

Re: Wired phone incorporating VoIP and landline..?

[re: MissRiaElaine] [link to this post]

Something like the Gigaset DX800A?
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 12-Nov-16 18:54:57
Print Post

Well some routers incorporate a VoIP facility with the ability to loop through a fixed line, so on one analogue phone, either wired and wireless, you can receive and make VoIP and/or fixed line calls. Sorted, meeting your exact requirements.

On a SIP phone you could populate it with a VoIP service and on another identity Zen offer a VoIP service that utilises your landline number for outgoing calls.

Or on a SIP phone, signup up with DrayTEL and grab yourself a landline number as your identity. PAYG and account facilities available.

But why would you want to have access to a fixed line? Calls via VoIP are much cheaper and you can port in your existing landline number, but of course you need a landline to drive the router, unless with Virgin.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-16 22:08:21
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
Well some routers incorporate a VoIP facility with the ability to loop through a fixed line, so on one analogue phone, either wired and wireless, you can receive and make VoIP and/or fixed line calls. Sorted, meeting your exact requirements.

True, I used to use a FritzBox 7140 but it won't handle Gigabit ethernet. Besides, analogue phones are somewhat limiting these days.

But why would you want to have access to a fixed line? Calls via VoIP are much cheaper and you can port in your existing landline number, but of course you need a landline to drive the router, unless with Virgin.

The landline and broadband (FTTC) are with Sky (we no longer have Sky TV but used the money we used to spend on that to pay for the FTTC upgrade). Virgin isn't available in this area, if it was available we might consider it, but it's unlikely here anyway as we live in a 3-story block of council flats and the way the building is constructed means getting additional cabling or fibre into the place is a non-starter frown

We want to hang on to the landline anyway, as the tariff we have gives unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles so the VoIP lines are mainly used for incoming calls.

--
Much love,
Ria xx
(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-16 22:09:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Something like the Gigaset DX800A?

Oooh, that looks nice, however all the ones I have seen on eBay and similar sites seem to be rather on the expensive side frown

--
Much love,
Ria xx
Standard User lissie
(newbie) Thu 08-Dec-16 13:46:07
Print Post

I have the Gigaset CL750A Go and it works perfectly - it can be used as a VoIP and a landline phone at the same time. You have a little base station box that plugs into your router via Ethernet and can also be plugged into a standard BT line like any other cordless phone base station.

It's currently available at PC World shops (that's where I got mine). When I bought it, it was priced at £69.99 on the shelf but scanned at £60 when I took it to the till.

I was a little apprehensive before buying it because I couldn't find much online about it in English (all the reviews are in German) but I'm pleased to confirm it suits my needs just fine.
(newbie) Fri 09-Dec-16 22:31:00
Print Post

[re: lissie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lissie:
I have the Gigaset CL750A Go and it works perfectly - it can be used as a VoIP and a landline phone at the same time. You have a little base station box that plugs into your router via Ethernet and can also be plugged into a standard BT line like any other cordless phone base station.

It's currently available at PC World shops (that's where I got mine). When I bought it, it was priced at £69.99 on the shelf but scanned at £60 when I took it to the till.

I was a little apprehensive before buying it because I couldn't find much online about it in English (all the reviews are in German) but I'm pleased to confirm it suits my needs just fine.

Erm.. I asked for info on wired phones, not cordless; the Gigaset N300IP is what I have at present.

I am currently looking into the Cisco SPA9000 with 501G or 508G phones, does anyone have any experience of these..?

--
Much love,
Ria xx
  Print Thread

Jump to