Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Fri 21-Apr-17 23:13:28
Print Post

Looking after UK geographic number

[link to this post]

I'm currently with BT, but rarely use landline and am canceling the service and moving to broadband/tv with virgin. Virgin don't yet offer phone in my area (which tbh isn't an issue)

The number though is known by a few people so I am wondering whether to port it to a SIP provider. Primarily for occasional incoming calls.

I'm familar with SIP, indeed have an old SPA3102 setup with poivy, voipphone. Can anyone recommend any sip providers with low upfront/monthly fees? (or evern pure PAYG on incoming calls). I'd rarely make outbound as I use mobile

I see sipgate charge 30... unsure what others charge?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Apr-17 00:20:12
Print Post

Re: Looking after UK geographic number

[re: planetf1] [link to this post]

You can port your number to Voipfone. Sipgate and A&A will let you have an 01... number. Sipgate don't make a monthly charge if you have one of their 01... numbers. Best to get pricing details from those suppliers web sites.

Michael Chare
Standard User tdw42
(learned) Sat 22-Apr-17 00:41:52
Print Post

AFAIK all SIP providers will charge for porting an existing number.

I'm very happy with A&A - I ported my landline number when I moved from one side of town to the other, same area code but different exchange so not possible to just move the landline number to the new house. At the time Sipgate didn't offer porting unless you went for the business (Sipgate Team) product, this isn't the case now and I know of several people who have migrated their landline to Sipgate Basic and dumped their landline entirely using FWA for broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CJT
(experienced) Thu 01-Jun-17 06:43:33
Print Post

Not sure if you have moved already,

but if you haven't, consider VoiceHost, and also have a look at UKVoipForums (I obliviously won't link to them), who are very useful.

I use SipGate but haven't ported my number.

VoIPFone charge £24 inc vat to port in or out.

Voice Host appear to charge £5 (Price List)

I hope that helps.

CJT.

On Virgin Media Up to 50Mbps
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Thu 08-Jun-17 22:27:46
Print Post

We have 2x SIPGate basic accounts and pay the monthly flat rate for uk mobile and landline calls (£9.95 per month at the time i write this). We have two 01 numbers but we didnt port any across.

Our setup is using a Gigaset N300A and it works great via our fixed wireless internet connection (ADSL and Fibre both non-existent where we live).

At first we just did the basic PAYG type of ting and it worked out cheaper for us to use the flat rate package (you can add or remove the packages as you like).

Ive also connected to one of the 01 numbers via my android phone when abroad and it works just the same.

HTH. smile

(Note: I am not affiliated with them at all, just a happy customer)

Moorsweb rural wireless broadband
12Mbit down / 7mbit up, great service.
  Print Thread

Jump to