Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Sun 06-Aug-17 17:05:53
Print Post

Quandary with regard to VOIP provider ? Vonage or A&AISP ?

[link to this post]

I'm in a quandary with regard to a VOIP provider.

My ISP is Andrews & Arnold, and I am delighted with them.

I currently have a telephone service from BT, but have decided to move, probably slowly & cautiously to VOIP.

It would seem logical to sign up to VOIP with A&AISP, but their packages don't work for me.

However for £15.00 per month inc VAT Vonage offer me:-

Unlimited UK Landline calls,
Unlimited calls to UK Mobiles
Unlimited calls to 5 international destinations - inc USA which is important to me
Choice of UK area code & number or Port my existing Number
Free Vonage Box which I can take with me when travelling - subject to conditions
The ability to make & receive calls on their mobile app
No activation charge

Once my VOIP is operating 100% satisfactorily I intend to port my land line number to the VOIP service.

I assume that at this time I can discontinue my BT line altogether as I am on A&AISP's "Home 1" package which costs £25 p.m. for 150GB, plus £10 p.m. for a copper pair.

Thoughts & advice please from those with more experience of VOPI than I - that means almost everyone !

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Sun 06-Aug-17 18:41:08)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Aug-17 20:25:47
Print Post

Re: Quandary with regard to VOIP provider ? Vonage or A&AISP

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

My main Voip supplier is Voipfone, who are very helpful. I also use Sipgate.

I use Gigaset N300 Voip Dect base stations and Gigaset C430 handsets.

I've not found that making voip phone calls using my laptop in hotel rooms to be particularly successful.

Porting your landline number might kill the line and stop broadband working.

Michael Chare
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Aug-17 01:11:55
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Porting your landline number might kill the line and stop broadband working.

OR do support something called "number change on export", so you'll get a new number assigned when the main number is exported which avoids (or is meant to) that happening.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 07-Aug-17 09:52:28
Print Post

Quandary with regard to VOIP provider ? Vonage or A&AISP

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Michael & Matt

Thanks for your replies.

What I was hoping is that I could do away with BT altogether, as I am paying AAISP £10 per month for a
"Home::1 Ad;On: VDSL/FTTC" .

In so far as hardware is concerned I am already using Gigaset SL450A Go Digital kit, which I can connect to VOIP as soon as I have decided whom to use..

As a last resort I could simply continue the BT service which only costs in the order of £20 p.m. - but I was hoping I could avoid this expense.

NJSS

Standard User Realalemadrid
(regular) Mon 07-Aug-17 10:38:09
Print Post

So do you have 2 phone lines one with A&A and one with BT? I wonder why. If you move to voip there is no longer any need for the BT line, or have I misunderstood your situation.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 07-Aug-17 14:43:45
Print Post

I use A&A for VOIP (previously Sipgate and Localphone) and find that it works well. Only you can tell if you're ever likely to make £15 worth of calls *every* month to make the Vonage option worthwhile but, in my case, my monthly bill is generally only a couple of pounds so definitely not! Don't make comparisons based on your BT bill - Call rates are significantly less and there's no rip-off call set up charges...

It's worth pointing out that Vonage don't give out SIP details so you're tied to using their box (to connect a real handset) or their app.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 07-Aug-17 14:45:42
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Correct - The Home::1 'copper pair' from A&A is naked DSL i.e. no phone service. The OP has a BT line in addition to the line for broadband.

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Aug-17 19:59:04
Print Post

You might want to consider how A&A handle voice mail. You can'r ring 1571 (etc) to get your messages. I prefer the Voipfone and Sipgate facilities.

I think A&A allow you to have two devices(phones) at different locations with the same SIP details. Both phones should ring. I don't think you can do this with Voipfone or Sipgate.

Discountvoip are cheap for calls to mobiles.

I do use Voip, but I would say that not all calls are as good as I would like.

Michael Chare
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 07-Aug-17 20:57:52
Print Post

As the OP has a Gigaset SL450A I suspect that the phone answering machine will be easiest to use rather than the provider's voicemail system.

Sipgate support multiple device registration and I would think that Voipfone will as well, if needed.

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Aug-17 22:55:04
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
As the OP has a Gigaset SL450A I suspect that the phone answering machine will be easiest to use rather than the provider's voicemail system.
It is unlikely to send text messages about missed calls which Voipfone and Sipgate do, but of course just depends what you want.

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Sipgate support multiple device registration and I would think that Voipfone will as well, if needed.
Sipgate did not work properly when I tried a little while ago. With regard to Voipfone see.

Michael Chare
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 08-Aug-17 07:53:51
Print Post

With regard to Voipfone see.
I stand corrected smile

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 08-Aug-17 09:57:54
Print Post

... Sipgate did not work properly when I tried a little while ago. ...

Sipgate works fine for me with two devices registered on the same account (which is what Sipgate claim).

Thanks for the DiscountVoip recommendation. wink

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Tue 08-Aug-17 14:40:15
Print Post

Hi
I use AAISP and Voiptalk and found both worked really well. they have an unlimited package but I am on the 1000mins one, prices are good as is support,
I previously had a years contract with Vonage - line quality was unreliable and similar to using a mobile. I started with voipfone but was treated unfairly by them, way back when they started.
Hope this helps.
K
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 08-Aug-17 16:41:11
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

Vonage - line quality was unreliable and similar to using a mobile

That's very interesting. My family in the USA have a dedicated Vonage telephone number local to my home in the Portsmouth UK area.

When I call via that number the line has always been good; maybe it's different with the USA ?

Thanks everyone for your comments to date - keep them coming please.

NJSS

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Wed 23-Aug-17 18:39:18
Print Post

I only use VOIP for incoming calls as we've a good mobile package so it's better to use the minutes on the mobiles to call out.
I've had a few Sipgate accounts for several years, never had a problem with them. I use CSipSimple on my mobile for those and can have several numbers active at once. Line quality is usually clear unless I'm in a poor signal area. I have one, maybe two, of those lines that have credit for outgoing but have only used that for testing or pranking friends smile
I have a paid for A&A number too, think it's about £1.20 a month ? I use a Camrivox ATA connected to some Panasonic DECT phones and that's my main home line. It's a proper UK number for the town I live in, not just SIP. Only a problem if the Internet goes off.
I've used the Sipgate numbers on the Camrivox too.
As long as you set them up right they should be fine. I've not needed to port numbers to VOIP. Happy to get rid of a line that got lots of junk calls last year when I decided to go VOIP only.

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to