Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User F9B54DA3BB3C
(newbie) Mon 04-Dec-17 18:14:10
Print Post

Porting number from VOIP to PSTN

[link to this post]

I have an unusual problem, having ported my phone number to VOIP provided by my (W)ISP, the WISP have hit serious problems and Openreach have installed a cabinet, that's hopefully going to turn the previous 1 Meg ADSL into 40 Meg VDSL2.

Needless to say, I don't want to lose the phone number, so my plan was to port it back to the new PSTN line, but phoning around ISPs this seems to be a possible thing, but no one can actually do it. Zen gave me a flat no, Uno said they couldn't because the WISP aren't a VOIP provider that they have a porting arrangement with, otherwise they could. IDnet thought they could port the number to their VOIP service, but that the PSTN line would have to have a new number, which would avoid losing the number but seems like it's adding a lot of ongoing complexity to the whole thing.

So far, the only answer I can see is to port the number to a VOIP provider that Uno have an agreement with, then Uno will port it back to PSTN.

I'm hoping that someone here might have a better idea though?
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 04-Dec-17 18:33:23
Print Post

Re: Porting number from VOIP to PSTN

[re: F9B54DA3BB3C] [link to this post]

I would treat the two elements completely separately as it will simplify the broadband provision and avoid potential mistakes.

1. Arrange the installation of a landline (if you don't have one). The number on this line is irrelevant as you won't be using it for calls.
2. Order a broadband service on the new line

These steps can be combined if you're happy for the ISP to also provide the line

3. Port your VOIP number to a new VOIP provider
4. Cancel your WISP contract

Nice and straightforward, minimal risk of losing the number and keeps your number and broadand separate to ensure future flexibility.

If you're already used to using VOIP I can see absolutely no benefit in going back to POTS telephony so there's no need to link the services together.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 04-Dec-17 18:36:00)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Sun 10-Dec-17 22:09:32
Print Post

The number always belongs to the provider who originally issued it and they forward it to new suppliers they have a number portability agreement with. So whoever originally issued the number as a pstn is probably your best bet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 15:02:47
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
The number always belongs to the provider who originally issued it and they forward it to new suppliers they have a number portability agreement with. So whoever originally issued the number as a pstn is probably your best bet.

Thanks, that makes sense to me - I assume you mean the original, original (i.e. BT who were probably the GPO at the time) not the last company who had the number as a PSTN number before it was ported to VOIP?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 11-Dec-17 18:17:40
Print Post

Yep it will be the original telco who issued the number, not your last one. In my case BT issued my number in 2008, since then number has been with bt, Talktalk, TalkTalk Business, Post Office and now on a voip service (yay.com). Only bt will allow me to port my number back to their POTS service - other providers say I will be issued with a new no.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10
(newbie) Mon 11-Dec-17 18:39:49
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Interesting, thanks.
Standard User partial
(experienced) Mon 11-Dec-17 21:13:49
Print Post

If it was originally a BT number, you can theoretically move it to anywhere that has a number portability agreement with BT. Which will be pretty much any provider. However many providers may choose not to faff around and choose to only offer you a new number.

Edited by partial (Mon 11-Dec-17 21:14:39)

(newbie) Thu 14-Dec-17 19:05:19
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Interesting. It sounds like my best plan is to take the number to BT on a short contract, then move it to a different provider. Thanks.
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Thu 14-Dec-17 19:57:59
Print Post

I again urge caution - You run the risk of either losing the number or your broadband by trying to combine the two.

Is running VOIP for your telephony not an option when you've moved ISPs?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP
Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Dec-17 20:14:22
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
I again urge caution - You run the risk of either losing the number or your broadband by trying to combine the two.

Is running VOIP for your telephony not an option when you've moved ISPs?

I very much doubt the OP risks losing his number if he moves it back to BT - who originally issued the number.

As for keeping his number on VOIP, i imagine its an unnecessary hassle/expense for him as needs a copper line anyway for FTTC broadband so he might as well move his VOIP number back to a PSTN line to simplify matters.

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Thu 14-Dec-17 20:54:46)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to