Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 08:46:36
Print Post

VoIP Telephone Adaptor & Configuring Gigaset kit

[link to this post]

I have had VoIP been running satisfactorily some months, and I now wish to migrate my landline to VoIP.

For elegant redundancy I am thinking of having two VoIP services from two different suppliers.

I currently have an analogue telephone adapter which only has one FXS port. I am inclined to simply leave the existing setup in place, and install a ATA working in parallel with the existing ATA for the second VoIP service..

It is suggested however that I should buy an ATA with two or more ports to service both the existing VoIP and the migrated landline. I like this proposal for "future-proofing", even if I only use one port in the immediate future.

Some suppliers recommend the Grandstream HT802 or HT 812, whilst I have also been strongly recommended to choose from the Cisco SPA 112 or SPA 122. Advice from those with experience would be much appreciated.

The other issue is how to connect two ATAs to my 'phone system, which is a Gigaset Go-Box 100 base station, serving a number of SL450H handsets. This base station is stated to be multi-line capable for up to 6 handsets and a number of parallel calls (1 landline + VoIPs).

I have not been able to configure the Go-Box 100 to handle both the land line & a single VoIP line & would appreciate help in this respect please.

NJSS

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 11:33:05
Print Post

Re: VoIP Telephone Adaptor & Configuring Gigaset kit

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

If you migrate your landline to VOIP you need to be careful as to what then happens to the landline, especially if you are using it for DSL broadband.

Have you tried to register the Go-Box 100 to a VOIP provider?

(If you can't get it to register, most likely you have a configuration error!)

Michael Chare
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 11:45:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Michael

Thank-you - I am very aware of the issues of migrating my landline to VoIP.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Have you tried to register the Go-Box 100 to a VOIP provider?"

I have had VoIP working well with Vonage for many months. However I don't recall "registering" the the Go-Box with them, I simply followed their instructions, and all worked!

Regards

Nigel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 13:50:48
Print Post

It would help if you could describe your setup in a little more detail?

From reading between the lines (and your previous posts on this subject), I guess that your current ATA is your Vonage box and you've connected this to the analogue line connection of the DECT basestation? If so, are you retaining the Vonage service?

For the new VOIP service, you can configure the basestation to directly connect with most services (Vonage excepted) so you do not need another ATA. In fact, as you've found, using another ATA will be problematic as you only have one analogue connection to the GO unit.

Which VOIP provider are you looking at for your second line?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 08-Jan-18 14:07:50)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 13:57:42
Print Post

I'm using the single port HT801 and it works well without any dramas. The config options can be rather daunting for the first time user but you won't need to touch most of them and in any case your VOIP provider should guide you through them if any issues. The Cisco ATAs are also supposed to be good but are rather old now, so in your shoes I would go for the HT802 for something a bit more modern and up to date. Grandstream have a very nifty smartphone iOS/Android app which lets you use your VOIP service through your smartphone, provided there is a data connection. You can receive landline calls on your mobile as well smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 08-Jan-18 14:03:00)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:27:20
Print Post

Slightly confused about exactly what you are trying to do.

Where do the ATAs come into it? Why do you need them?

Having a Giugaset GO with a single analog PSTN connected directly and a network connection that will allow you to set up 6 VOIP connection with several different providers is quite standard

I have my GO running with a PSTN connection and to VOIP providers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:52:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I hope this explanation helps:-

The Vonage supplied ATA is a re-badged HT701 and is connected to my Vigor 2680N router, and the Gigaset Go Box - 100

The Gigaset Go Box - 100 is also connected directly to the router, and “feeds” the VOIP service to six Gigaset SL450H handsets.

The BT landline is connected to a single analog telephone.

I would like this ‘phone to connect to the SL450H handsets too, but can’t work out how to do this.

My existing VoIP service is with Vonage, it works well, but I’m beginning to regret opting for them as everything seems “locked down”, and my perception is that their support by ‘phone is not very good.

I'm not sure where to go to host my ported landline, or what hardware & software to use. I don't want to go to Vonage, and like my ISP A&A, but fear their support for VoIP might be too "technical" for me.

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:59:20
Print Post

Right, clearer and as I thought.

You do not need another ATA for your proposed use - You can (and should) use the GO basestation with your new VOIP provider.

I use AAISP VOIP and have a Gigaset 510 basestation so can help with an example config if that helps?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:12:11
Print Post

Surely you can get rid of the Vonage ATA and use the setting to configure the GO box directly.

Vonage Tech support will be able to walk you through setting one up ... they also supply the N510IP https://www.vonage.co.uk/business/office-phone-syste... which is basically the same box and interface as a GO.

As for where to put your landline - are you converting that to VOIP too? If so, Port5060 are good value and my experience so far has been very good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:19:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Vonage do not supply SIP credentials for their residential service, only for their (more expensive) business service.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to