Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:03:12
Print Post

Re: VoIP Telephone Adaptor & Configuring Gigaset kit

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

Thanks.

My invoice describes it as "Home::1 Add−On: VDSL/FTTC - £10"

I will be liaising very carefully with A&A before I do anything !

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:19:35
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

Do you have two physical phone lines? Is your BT phone plugged into one and the broadband modem in the other, or do you have one line and they are both plugged into the same face plate (extensions of the same line)?

Sorry to be pedantic but it sounds to me that your broadband may be supplied via your BT line and therefore there is significant risk if you port the number.

It is possible to port the number and simultaneously renumber the BT line so that services are unaffected but the order for the port will need to make this very clear.

AAISP have some experience of this (link), other VOIP providers may also be able to do it now

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP

Edited by ferretuk (Tue 09-Jan-18 13:28:56)

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 14:11:58
Print Post

ferretuk - You are entirely correct.

I have a single copper pair which connects both my A&A broadband & POTS.

I am going to try sharing the single port on the faceplate with the Vonage Box (branded Grandstream H701) with the Go Box-100. Let's hope this doesn't cause a problem.

If this works then I will install another Analogue Telephone Adapter to connect to an alternative VOIP service.

Recommendations & suggestions welcome !

NJSS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 15:14:13
Print Post

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

No - stop!

You cannot (and must not) parallel the lines at the faceplate (if that's what you mean by 'sharing the single port')

You do not need another ATA for another VOIP service - Your GO box can interface directly to the VOIP service

You do not have a wires only broadband service from AAISP - You run the risk of losing your broadband if you port your number.

Take a step back, read the advice on this thread and the others you've started and reassess your needs and capabilities.

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:07:48
Print Post

No - stop! - Thanks I have done nothing yet.

You cannot (and must not) parallel the lines at the faceplate (if that's what you mean by 'sharing the single port') - Noted - thank-you

You do not need another ATA for another VOIP service - Your GO box can interface directly to the VOIP service-. I am sure you are right - this conflicts with what Vonage told me, but as I indicated earlier I was unhappy with their telephone support.

You do not have a wires only broadband service from AAISP - You run the risk of losing your broadband if you port your number. - Yes - I appreciate this & have discussed it with A&A

Take a step back, read the advice on this thread and the others you've started and reassess your needs and capabilities. - Thank-you - I think it is my understanding & capability which need to be enhanced!

NJSS

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:37:06
Print Post

I do wonder about the benefit of porting the landline number to VOIP if there is a Go box and a line is needed for broadband.

Just connect the Go box to the landline and use it for incoming calls. The Go box can then be configured to send outgoing calls by VOIP. If Discountvoip is used the calls would (could) appear to come from the landline number. If Sipgate is used calls would appear to come from the Sipgate number and if someone did ring that number the Dect phones connected to the Go box would ring.

Michael Chare
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:43:27
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Verdict - Misadventure wink

It's the retention of Vonage that is causing all the problems...

Edited by ferretuk (Tue 09-Jan-18 16:44:51)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 09-Jan-18 17:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Verdict - Misadventure wink

It's the retention of Vonage that is causing all the problems...

Agreed - the OP should dump Vonage and move to a VOIP provider that will allow him to use his own choice of equipment. I am using Port5060 - they even have a help page on how to configure a Gigaset GO box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to