Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 08:46:36
Print Post

VoIP Telephone Adaptor & Configuring Gigaset kit

[link to this post]

I have had VoIP been running satisfactorily some months, and I now wish to migrate my landline to VoIP.

For elegant redundancy I am thinking of having two VoIP services from two different suppliers.

I currently have an analogue telephone adapter which only has one FXS port. I am inclined to simply leave the existing setup in place, and install a ATA working in parallel with the existing ATA for the second VoIP service..

It is suggested however that I should buy an ATA with two or more ports to service both the existing VoIP and the migrated landline. I like this proposal for "future-proofing", even if I only use one port in the immediate future.

Some suppliers recommend the Grandstream HT802 or HT 812, whilst I have also been strongly recommended to choose from the Cisco SPA 112 or SPA 122. Advice from those with experience would be much appreciated.

The other issue is how to connect two ATAs to my 'phone system, which is a Gigaset Go-Box 100 base station, serving a number of SL450H handsets. This base station is stated to be multi-line capable for up to 6 handsets and a number of parallel calls (1 landline + VoIPs).

I have not been able to configure the Go-Box 100 to handle both the land line & a single VoIP line & would appreciate help in this respect please.

NJSS

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 11:33:05
Print Post

Re: VoIP Telephone Adaptor & Configuring Gigaset kit

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

If you migrate your landline to VOIP you need to be careful as to what then happens to the landline, especially if you are using it for DSL broadband.

Have you tried to register the Go-Box 100 to a VOIP provider?

(If you can't get it to register, most likely you have a configuration error!)

Michael Chare
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 11:45:18
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Michael

Thank-you - I am very aware of the issues of migrating my landline to VoIP.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Have you tried to register the Go-Box 100 to a VOIP provider?"

I have had VoIP working well with Vonage for many months. However I don't recall "registering" the the Go-Box with them, I simply followed their instructions, and all worked!

Regards

Nigel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 13:50:48
Print Post

It would help if you could describe your setup in a little more detail?

From reading between the lines (and your previous posts on this subject), I guess that your current ATA is your Vonage box and you've connected this to the analogue line connection of the DECT basestation? If so, are you retaining the Vonage service?

For the new VOIP service, you can configure the basestation to directly connect with most services (Vonage excepted) so you do not need another ATA. In fact, as you've found, using another ATA will be problematic as you only have one analogue connection to the GO unit.

Which VOIP provider are you looking at for your second line?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 08-Jan-18 14:07:50)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 13:57:42
Print Post

I'm using the single port HT801 and it works well without any dramas. The config options can be rather daunting for the first time user but you won't need to touch most of them and in any case your VOIP provider should guide you through them if any issues. The Cisco ATAs are also supposed to be good but are rather old now, so in your shoes I would go for the HT802 for something a bit more modern and up to date. Grandstream have a very nifty smartphone iOS/Android app which lets you use your VOIP service through your smartphone, provided there is a data connection. You can receive landline calls on your mobile as well smile

FluidOne FTTP On Demand 330/30 Mbps
Netgear Nighthawk X10

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 08-Jan-18 14:03:00)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:27:20
Print Post

Slightly confused about exactly what you are trying to do.

Where do the ATAs come into it? Why do you need them?

Having a Giugaset GO with a single analog PSTN connected directly and a network connection that will allow you to set up 6 VOIP connection with several different providers is quite standard

I have my GO running with a PSTN connection and to VOIP providers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:52:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I hope this explanation helps:-

The Vonage supplied ATA is a re-badged HT701 and is connected to my Vigor 2680N router, and the Gigaset Go Box - 100

The Gigaset Go Box - 100 is also connected directly to the router, and “feeds” the VOIP service to six Gigaset SL450H handsets.

The BT landline is connected to a single analog telephone.

I would like this ‘phone to connect to the SL450H handsets too, but can’t work out how to do this.

My existing VoIP service is with Vonage, it works well, but I’m beginning to regret opting for them as everything seems “locked down”, and my perception is that their support by ‘phone is not very good.

I'm not sure where to go to host my ported landline, or what hardware & software to use. I don't want to go to Vonage, and like my ISP A&A, but fear their support for VoIP might be too "technical" for me.

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 14:59:20
Print Post

Right, clearer and as I thought.

You do not need another ATA for your proposed use - You can (and should) use the GO basestation with your new VOIP provider.

I use AAISP VOIP and have a Gigaset 510 basestation so can help with an example config if that helps?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:12:11
Print Post

Surely you can get rid of the Vonage ATA and use the setting to configure the GO box directly.

Vonage Tech support will be able to walk you through setting one up ... they also supply the N510IP https://www.vonage.co.uk/business/office-phone-syste... which is basically the same box and interface as a GO.

As for where to put your landline - are you converting that to VOIP too? If so, Port5060 are good value and my experience so far has been very good.

M H C

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:19:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Vonage do not supply SIP credentials for their residential service, only for their (more expensive) business service.

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:42:52
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

MHC - No this is what I wanted to do but Vonage support won’t help to configure an ATA which they haven’t supplied. I'd happily pay them for a two port ATA configured for them on one port, and for me to configure for another VoIP service on the other port, but they won't do that either as far as I can tell.

I say "as far as I can tell", as I can't get their support people to understand or address the issue.

FerretUK if you could provide me with an example configuration for how I should have things now that would help - that is to say how to get Vonage VoIP & PTSN calls to all my Gigaset handsets.

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Mon 08-Jan-18 15:52:31
Print Post

I think it would help if you stopped describing your Vonage service as VOIP - Technically it is of course, but it is presented as an analogue POTS line by virtue of having to use their ATA. This therefore needs to remain plugged into the PSTN port of the GO basestation. Until you've setup a VOIP service and ported your BT number to it you won't be able to have Vonage and your 'landline' simultaneously available on your DECT handsets (ie the situation as of now)

Any true (SIP based) VOIP connections are configured in the Settings|Telephony menu. The AAISP confg instructions here show how to setup the registration to their servers. I can help further later (when I'm at home)

Many other VOIP providers are available of course but the basic principle is the same.

Once your BT number is ported to your chosen VOIP provider you'll be able to setup rules in the Handset menu of the GO box to determine the default line to route calls out (this can differ per handset) and also define number prefixes to override the default.

Edited by ferretuk (Mon 08-Jan-18 15:58:02)

(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Jan-18 17:04:47
Print Post

You need to decide whether you want to stay with Vonage.

If you stay with Vonage, I think you have to use their box and as you say it is locked down. Speak to Vonage if you want to more your number to their service.

If you want a different VOIP provider, you could try Sipgate. In that case you need to ask their website for an account. When you have the account details you can then use the Go Box 100 web pages and get the box to register with Sipgate. You should then be able to make and receive VOIP calls after parting with a little money. If you do this you will have a better understanding of how VOIP works, and can make a more informed choice as to which VOIP provider to use for the long term.

Michael Chare
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 08:04:58
Print Post

FerretUK - many thanks.

I think I must get Vonage working as it should before proceeding further.

You suggested that you could provide me with a configuration for how I should have things set up now - that is to say how to get Vonage VoIP & PTSN calls routed to all my Gigaset handsets.

NJSS

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 08:09:37
Print Post

MHC - Many thanks

I'm not going to port my number to Vonage, certainly for the time being, and probably never.

As indicated in my reply to FerretUk above I must get things working properly with my present set-up before proceeding further.

Once things are working, as I believe they should, then I'll move ahead.

I don't dislike Vonage, their pricing suits me well, but telephone support is poor & lack of openness worries me.

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 08:22:44
Print Post

With the setup you have at the moment (Vonage and BT Landline) it is not possible to get both providers working with your GO basestation as they both present as an analogue line.

The GO box can handle one analogue line and up to 6 SIP based VOIP providers. Vonage do not supply SIP credentials to residential users so you cannot configure the GO unit to setup Vonage as one of these 6.

You could upgrade to the Vonage Business service (at greater cost) and then you'd get the SIP details.

The best suggestion would be to abandon Vonage if possible and setup a proper VOIP service with someone else. As another poster mentioned, Sipgate is easy to try.

Otherwise, as you're investigating, you'll need to port your BT number to a VOIP provider (not Vonage!!) so you can have Vonage plugged in the PSTN port and your BT number via one of the 6 available VOIP configurations.

You mentioned that you are aware that your BT line will generally cease when you port the number so it is worth double checking how your broadband is supplied. Do you have an AAISP organised line in addition to your BT line?

Edited by ferretuk (Tue 09-Jan-18 09:12:14)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 09:47:03
Print Post

I believe A&A can supply a wires only service (i.e no phone) for broadband use. Presumably the Op will need this if the BT phone service is ceased. Unless there are currently 2 lines in use.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Tue 09-Jan-18 09:49:38)

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 10:07:16
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Hence my question wink

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 10:41:45
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Yes - I have A&A's wires only service.

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 12:55:30
Print Post

Just to double check (because I don't want to see you lose service), in another post you said
In reply to a post by NJSS:
What I was hoping is that I could do away with BT altogether, as I am paying AAISP £10 per month for a "Home::1 Add On: VDSL/FTTC" .

I think this is just the uplift for VDSL over ADSL?

On my invoice, the line is described as "Copper pair for broadband service"

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:03:12
Print Post

Thanks.

My invoice describes it as "Home::1 Add−On: VDSL/FTTC - £10"

I will be liaising very carefully with A&A before I do anything !

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 13:19:35
Print Post

Do you have two physical phone lines? Is your BT phone plugged into one and the broadband modem in the other, or do you have one line and they are both plugged into the same face plate (extensions of the same line)?

Sorry to be pedantic but it sounds to me that your broadband may be supplied via your BT line and therefore there is significant risk if you port the number.

It is possible to port the number and simultaneously renumber the BT line so that services are unaffected but the order for the port will need to make this very clear.

AAISP have some experience of this (link), other VOIP providers may also be able to do it now

Edited by ferretuk (Tue 09-Jan-18 13:28:56)

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 14:11:58
Print Post

ferretuk - You are entirely correct.

I have a single copper pair which connects both my A&A broadband & POTS.

I am going to try sharing the single port on the faceplate with the Vonage Box (branded Grandstream H701) with the Go Box-100. Let's hope this doesn't cause a problem.

If this works then I will install another Analogue Telephone Adapter to connect to an alternative VOIP service.

Recommendations & suggestions welcome !

NJSS

Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 15:14:13
Print Post

No - stop!

You cannot (and must not) parallel the lines at the faceplate (if that's what you mean by 'sharing the single port')

You do not need another ATA for another VOIP service - Your GO box can interface directly to the VOIP service

You do not have a wires only broadband service from AAISP - You run the risk of losing your broadband if you port your number.

Take a step back, read the advice on this thread and the others you've started and reassess your needs and capabilities.

Standard User NJSS
(regular) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:07:48
Print Post

No - stop! - Thanks I have done nothing yet.

You cannot (and must not) parallel the lines at the faceplate (if that's what you mean by 'sharing the single port') - Noted - thank-you

You do not need another ATA for another VOIP service - Your GO box can interface directly to the VOIP service-. I am sure you are right - this conflicts with what Vonage told me, but as I indicated earlier I was unhappy with their telephone support.

You do not have a wires only broadband service from AAISP - You run the risk of losing your broadband if you port your number. - Yes - I appreciate this & have discussed it with A&A

Take a step back, read the advice on this thread and the others you've started and reassess your needs and capabilities. - Thank-you - I think it is my understanding & capability which need to be enhanced!

NJSS

(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:37:06
Print Post

I do wonder about the benefit of porting the landline number to VOIP if there is a Go box and a line is needed for broadband.

Just connect the Go box to the landline and use it for incoming calls. The Go box can then be configured to send outgoing calls by VOIP. If Discountvoip is used the calls would (could) appear to come from the landline number. If Sipgate is used calls would appear to come from the Sipgate number and if someone did ring that number the Dect phones connected to the Go box would ring.

Michael Chare
Standard User ferretuk
(member) Tue 09-Jan-18 16:43:27
Print Post

Verdict - Misadventure wink

It's the retention of Vonage that is causing all the problems...

Edited by ferretuk (Tue 09-Jan-18 16:44:51)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 09-Jan-18 17:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
Verdict - Misadventure wink

It's the retention of Vonage that is causing all the problems...

Agreed - the OP should dump Vonage and move to a VOIP provider that will allow him to use his own choice of equipment. I am using Port5060 - they even have a help page on how to configure a Gigaset GO box.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to