Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JWDawson
(newbie) Tue 20-Feb-18 18:07:28
Print Post

Re: Hosted PBX + cheap SIP: how?

[re: FTTP2] [link to this post]

I'm surprised at how low port 5060 mobile charges are. My understanding is that mobile charges are largely determined by the rather high termination charges that the mobile operators impose. So have port 5060 negotiated special arrangements with the operators?
Or are they subsidising their mobile rates?

One does wonder when something looks "too good to be true"...
Standard User FTTP2
(newbie) Thu 22-Feb-18 11:47:27
Print Post

[re: JWDawson] [link to this post]

Quite right, I was surprised as well. I have also seen 6ppm and with 2circles.co.uk (PSTN) we have 3 ppm (normally they charge 5ppm). But then again, Port5060 says for MOST UK MOBILE 1.5ppm. So I haven’t figured out what that means for the ‘other mobile numbers’.
Standard User FTTP2
(newbie) Thu 22-Feb-18 12:26:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I did check the cost of porting. A bit misleading actually. On their webpage they say:

We charge £15 per number and a maximum of £50 per request where there are more than 5 numbers.
https://www.port5060.net/pricing/

But... the maximum of £50 only applies to certain type of numbers (I forgot the term, but numbers that came in a pack. I guess numbers that are sequential... 05843-556677 / 556678 / 556679 etc). So when you read the above, you would expect that porting cost £15 per number, but if you have 5 or more, than the cost would only be £50, which it isn’t in our case (all the same area code, but not similar numbers).

Not sure if any of you check the background of a company before you sign up for a service. It seems that port5060 is very newly established company. And looking at their financial statements, it doesn’t seems to me that they are doing a lot of turnover + profit (their balance sheet seems not to increase by much over the years).
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08332891

I would hate to have to swap providers in only a few years....

Whereas voipfone.co.uk, their calling charges are quite high. Have more than £3million on their “cash at bank and in hand” https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05168033/... This explains why they charge so much, or.... they have other companies that makes a lot of profit for them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DigitalDaz
(newbie) Sun 25-Feb-18 23:26:55
Print Post

[re: FTTP2] [link to this post]

Try looking at some of the smaller providers, you may be very pleasantly surprised.

Depending on the provider, if using a hosted solution, they may well allow you to configure another trunk on the hosted solution so that you do not have to mess with multiple lines on your endpoints.

A hosted solution should not be costing you more than a SIP trunk anyway and in some cases will be less. The line of thinking being that once you are set up and customized you are much less likely to move over the price of a call.

Direct VoIP - Quality Business VoIP, Amazing Prices
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to