Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Fri 20-Apr-18 05:24:08
Print Post

BT to close PTSN & move all users to VoIP by 2025 !

[link to this post]

The Register has reported that BT has announced that will close its existing public switched telephone network (PSTN) by 2025, meaning everyone will be on VoIP.

The Regster

Lets hope that the market frees up & that BT & ORs effective monopoly is broken up - we shall see, but I think not.

NJSS

Edited by NJSS (Fri 20-Apr-18 05:25:45)

Standard User MissRiaElaine
(newbie) Sat 21-Apr-18 21:04:42
Print Post

Re: BT to close PTSN & move all users to VoIP by 2025 !

[re: NJSS] [link to this post]

This is all very well, but what about people who don't have broadband..? My 91-year-old mother wouldn't know what VoIP was if it jumped up and bit her in the ankle, so what's in store for people like her..? I'm certain she's not the only one.

Analogue lines work if the power fails too, are BT going to provide free Uninterruptible Power Supplies for everyone..?

--
Much love,
Ria xx

Edited by MissRiaElaine (Sat 21-Apr-18 21:06:40)

Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Apr-18 11:24:43
Print Post

[re: MissRiaElaine] [link to this post]

Same here my mum doesn't have broadband, she doesn't want broadband. She can't see why she would need broadband - she has a landline phone and calls me! Mind you I impressed her the other week, I went on 4G and reserved an item in Argos for her, think that impressed her!

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 11:45:40
Print Post

If/When BT move over to a VOIP system the end user will probably not see anything too different as you will be able to still use your existing telephone.
Standard User MissRiaElaine
(newbie) Sun 22-Apr-18 14:16:03
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
If/When BT move over to a VOIP system the end user will probably not see anything too different as you will be able to still use your existing telephone.

So how will a VoIP system cope with power failures..? We happen to have a UPS powering our router and other IT kit, but the average elderly homeowner with just a single phone isn't going to have one.

--
Much love,
Ria xx
Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 14:45:35
Print Post

There is two ways that this is done.

1. Battery Backup (like they do for current FTTP customers).
2. Battery Backup in the cabinet (like they do for FTTC).

Either way there should be something in case of power failure.
Standard User NJSS
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-18 16:45:50
Print Post

This is what BT Openreach have to say:-

Fibre Voice Access (FVA)

Through having an analogue telephony adaptor (ATA) built into the Fibre to the Premises Optical Network Termination device (FTTP ONT) at the customer's premises, Fibre Voice Access enables you to deliver a PSTN quality voice service to your customers over fibre. The analogue telephony adaptor interface can support two analogue telephony ports, so any existing analogue telephony equipment and home wiring can be connected to it. You can choose to use just one, or both of these ports.

Source:- BTO

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-18 17:29:26
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

blfamily ( & OP)

The PSTN equipment is old and will not last longer than 2025, ( It will be lucky to last that long!). The last equipment was brought around 1998 and most was prior to 1995 and will be 30 years old. Do you know many people who use electronic equipment 30 years old and would you expect an always available service with it.

The money received by BT for the 'Voice' ( not copper/MPF rental) service would never pay for a like for like replacement, so an IP service is what will cost in. OFCOM have basically driven this by their cost model that has only priced in replacement by cheapest cost technology for the last 8 years to base OR prices on.

Existing phones will plug into the adapter ( ATA). ATA, BBU, and modem can all be designed in one box. All the customer will need to provide is the power socket and (maybe) change the batteries out when a LED indicates. It can even be coded to report low battery for registered (vulnerable) people.

Also enables monitoring of locket / wrist and other health telemetry for those requiring it on ill-heath or age grounds.

Many people will not want a 'fixed' service at all, which has been driving the promised OR BB lines only product without a bundled voice service.
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 22-Apr-18 21:04:33
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I've had a live FTTP service since January and just like when I went from dial-up to ADSL, I don't think I'd want to go back.

I would hope that over time, the monthly service charge will decrease to a point to that of ADSL as the customer wouldn't have a choice over how their broadband and phone service was delivered as not everyone will want to use mobile networks for everything and some just won't be able to.

Should also discourage copper cable theft which I'd imagine costs BT and it's insurers a fair bit due to copper prices which is likely to have been a factor in this decision.

It appears as though Virgin are sldo going down the full fibre route where they are extending their network under Project Lightning as opposed to using cable, probably for the same reason.

Then there's CityFibre.

I've said before I'd like to see OR separated from BT and to be owned equally by all the Communications Providers that use it's services (similar to LINX) but this is unlikely and I don't think anyone would want to take on the copper loop network.

There is indeed the issue about how long the battery back up on an ONT would support a voice service for though in the event of an extended power outage.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU => Zen FTTP (39.5 Mbps down, 9.5 Mbps up)
Router: Netgear D6400
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Apr-18 21:42:40
Print Post

What percentage of the population use wired phones vs DECT?

Iím guessing for most people, if the power goes off they lose their phone today.

Kris

Sky Fibre
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 23-Apr-18 14:16:58
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

techguy

On BBU OFCOM mandate a minimum of 1 hour in standby. Last I heard the BT BBU gave a minimum of 4 hours standby. ( Both voice only NO Broadband). Both will be shorter if the phone is in use so maybe 15 min and 1 hour talk time.

The rental charge for the phone service is in the £1-£2 per month range at present, the rest is paying for the line. The pair rental, basically the same for voice only or BB only, around £80-90 per YEAR I cannot see this changing. The rest of the charge is for the BB and ISP service whichever level you pick.

The (Wholesale) IP voice service is likely to be also in the £1-£2 per month range but may include calls in this as the bandwidth is minimal compared to the BB network size. ( You are paying for the call server, ATA etc and Number costs. OFCOM charge for each number).

I can see national calls being 'free' as this reduces/removes the cost of all the complex interconnect payments and billing although this will depend on OFCOM allowing this! ( They have set terminating prices to nearly zero at present but that may change) The service will have to compete with SKYPE price so have to be very cheap.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 16:47:32
Print Post

5 or so years ago when I was being taught about FTTP, after initial 'classroom' training we went to Deddington in Oxfordshire for 'buddying' .......
..even then there were plans for this whole exchange, as a trial, to be FTTP only, little old ladies in the middle of nowhere were having it fitted, and just using the FVA side of it ... with their standard phone plugged into that.

As mentioned elsewhere, there are battery back up units fitted to allow for this service to run for a few hours if there is a power cut.

So fear not, there is thought going into these things.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to