Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-18 12:57:56
Print Post

Yay.com - Users?

[link to this post]

I have a BB connection with AAISP, and I am looking for a VOIP provider. AAISP could offer me a VOIP number for £2.40 a month. Alternatively, I could go for Yay.com which, on a free trial basis, does appear to be working well. However, I am confused (it's an age thing!). I have a Fritz!Box with 3 DECT phones. On the Yay.com website, these three phones are listed on the Dashboard as three separate users and, I assume, that I would be charged at a 3 user rate? This would make Yay very expensive. Am I correct in assuming that AAISP would just be a single monthly charge plus call rates?
Standard User twins
(regular) Sun 12-Aug-18 17:36:03
Print Post

Re: Yay.com - Users?

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

We have been using soho66.co.uk for a number of years with our ISPs, first, Virgin and now Zen. We have 3 dect phones from the one base unit. We have a local number from Soho66 and are connected from the Fritz router via a small box supplied by Soho66. They're pricing is very competitive. As I say,we have never had a problem using their service. Hope this helps.
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-18 18:02:19
Print Post

[re: twins] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by twins:
We have been using soho66.co.uk for a number of years with our ISPs, first, Virgin and now Zen. We have 3 dect phones from the one base unit. We have a local number from Soho66 and are connected from the Fritz router via a small box supplied by Soho66. They're pricing is very competitive. As I say,we have never had a problem using their service. Hope this helps.

Thanks. It is Yay’s use of the term users that is confusing me. I am rather surprised that they detected the three DECT phones connected to my 7590.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-18 18:22:48
Print Post

I am with Yay and AFAIK you get charged per number (line), not per user. So you could have 10 users (eg with different extensions) under the same number.

Give them a call tomorrow morning and I'm sure they'll clear it up for you.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-18 19:07:20
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
I am with Yay and AFAIK you get charged per number (line), not per user. So you could have 10 users (eg with different extensions) under the same number.

Give them a call tomorrow morning and I'm sure they'll clear it up for you.

Thanks - that is helpful. I couldn't find any reference to users and lines on their website. I appreciate that Yay is set up more for business use than residential. Life is one steep learning curve!
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-Aug-18 20:36:52
Print Post

No worries. If you’re new to yay, I suggest you tune in to their live web seminar ( held twice weekly) where they explain the features of their online portal - which can seem quite daunting for new users!

https://www.yay.com/webinar/

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 12-Aug-18 20:39:52)

Standard User JWDawson
(newbie) Mon 13-Aug-18 10:17:59
Print Post

I have been using Sipgate for many years for my home 'phone line, and have generally been very happy with the service. There is NO MONTHLY CHARGE for their 'basic' service, which still includes all the extra features you expect from a VoIP service. Their call charges are reasonable, although you can get better rates elsewhere.

If all you want is to connect 3 handsets to a single external 'phone number (e.g. emulating an analogue multi-handset DECT system connected to a land line) then you only need a single user (SIP extension) anyway. You will need to configure the Fritz!Box so each handset makes and receives calls on the same extension. Multiple uses are only relevant for business setups, where you are emulating multiple extensions connected to a PBX.
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Aug-18 10:52:27
Print Post

[re: JWDawson] [link to this post]

My experience with sipgate wasn't the best. Calls occasionally dropped out and support (Germany based?) was poor.

I would rather pay for a quality voip service such as yay.com and get a far better service overall.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Mon 13-Aug-18 11:57:36
Print Post

AAISP charge you for an incoming number (price varies from £1.20 - See https://www.aaisp.net.uk/telecoms-prices.html) per month and then call charges. You can have multiple clients registered to the number and you can make multiple simultaneous calls. I'm not familiar with the Fritzbox setup, but Gigaset DECT basestations can handle calls to/from more than one handset at a time.

Like you, I'm puzzled why Yay list your three handsets - Perhaps the Fritzbox registers each handset against your account independently?

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User lexden16
(committed) Mon 13-Aug-18 13:05:51
Print Post

[re: ferretuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ferretuk:
AAISP charge you for an incoming number (price varies from £1.20 - See https://www.aaisp.net.uk/telecoms-prices.html) per month and then call charges. You can have multiple clients registered to the number and you can make multiple simultaneous calls. I'm not familiar with the Fritzbox setup, but Gigaset DECT basestations can handle calls to/from more than one handset at a time.

Like you, I'm puzzled why Yay list your three handsets - Perhaps the Fritzbox registers each handset against your account independently?

Thanks. I have just got back a response from Yay to say that I WOULD be charged for 3 users. The Fritz!Box has a built in DECT base station that will support 6 cordless DECT handsets. It looks like AAISP is in front by a margin provided that I can understand their concerns about Port 5060 which can only be ported if no internet numbers have been set.
  Print Thread

Jump to