Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-18 12:30:57
Print Post

VERY BASIC AND EASY VOIP SERVICE

[link to this post]

Hopefully will be transferring to a Virgin business service. I do not need a telephone service, but I would like to keep my original BT issued tel. No. rather than transfer to Virgin.

Can anyone recommend a VOIP provider, where I can safely transfer my No. and use it for the occasional call?

Edited by Brunel (Wed 03-Oct-18 19:01:06)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Oct-18 18:42:43
Print Post

Re: VERY BASIC AND EASY VOIP SERVICE

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

When BT changed their business VOIP offering and my costs were going to escalate, I did something very similar and ported my BT numbers away and I chose: Port5060 https://www.port5060.net/about-us/

Efficient at porting the numbers across - mine was a complex port, ex-ISDN, moved to PSTN, moved to BT VOIP ... and then ported away. Monthly charges are low which allows you to keep your number and call charges are low too. I use it for International calls mainly where it is cheaper than O2 (and others) who I use for UK calls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-18 19:23:50
Print Post

I'm kind of in the same boat, broadband only with no phone line....I settled on yay.com as I just wanted a basic service, I didn't port my number but I did see the option on their website to port your number.
I bought one of their devices that i plug into my router and my phone into the device, their not they cheapest but the support is very quick and very helpful.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Oct-18 20:08:52
Print Post

I ported my number to Voipfone, but there is a monthly charge. They were very helpful to me which is one reason why I moved to them. I believe that you can now port a number to Sipgate (basic). I don't think there would be a regular charge.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ixel
(committed) Wed 03-Oct-18 20:10:21
Print Post

AAISP can port your number in I believe. Not sure if Flextel can but they don't charge a monthly fee for using their service.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 03-Oct-18 20:47:56
Print Post

My recommendation would be Voiphone as your hosting provider. Porting a number to their platform is very straightforward but the line must be in working order for it to happen,

The setup is basically down to you to configure but very helpful staff are always on hand to take over the setup task. Within the hour you can havw a working service using an area code of your vicinity, or elsewhere if so desired. You may have to use a temporary number for a while until your ported number can be used.

It is a PAYG service with call costs taken from a deposit made with number and services rental taken from your credit card each month. You can use your own VoIP hardwire beyond a voice handset such as extension bells or broadcast units.

Calls to other Voipfone users are possible at no charge. Low seat price and modest charges to landline numbers but quite expensive to mobile numbers. The icing on the cake is that you are not tied into a contract..
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Oct-18 21:18:46
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I'm kind of in the same boat, broadband only with no phone line....I settled on yay.com as I just wanted a basic service, I didn't port my number but I did see the option on their website to port your number.
I bought one of their devices that i plug into my router and my phone into the device, their not they cheapest but the support is very quick and very helpful.

+1 for yay.com

Had an issue with my yay VOIP service this morning when I could receive VOIP calls but not make any outgoing calls - this only started happening when I added a firewall router to my setup. Gave yay support a call this morning, they took control of my desktop pc (using help.yay.com) and remotely made some changes to my grandstream ata adaptor via my web browser and full service was restored. Took them less than 5 mins, very impressed smile. I pay them around £3 per month and then payg for calls on top of that. I ported my post office landline number over to yay without any issues, took about 5 days.

They have a very slick and feature rich online portal which can be a bit daunting for first time users but they run a free live web seminar twice a week for new users which helps a lot.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Wed 03-Oct-18 21:27:00)

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Wed 03-Oct-18 21:53:46
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I used yay.com support this morning too, within a minute of my email to their support leaving my outbox my mobile rang, brilliant customer service.
I'm a total newbie to VoIP but now I'm a happy camper and they offered to walk me through the whole process of getting setup.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Oct-18 09:26:08
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Be a little careful with Voipfone. I have one of their UK numbers and if I use it to call a multinational call centre, my call is identified as originating in Germany!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Thu 04-Oct-18 09:29:59)

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Thu 04-Oct-18 11:48:50
Print Post

Thank you all, some very good info. provided. I will read in depth.
  Print Thread

Jump to