Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 17-Dec-18 23:08:39
Print Post

Telephone Directory in a VoIP Phone

[link to this post]

Without too much effort I have amased around 500 entries in the directory of my office VoIP phone.

Now this statement has been made to me:
|"because of Data Protection, we need to get everyone to agree to us putting their tel number into the system".

Right then, anyone with thoughts on this?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Dec-18 09:20:48
Print Post

Re: Telephone Directory in a VoIP Phone

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

It is personal data and therefore covered by the GDPR. You need to ensure you are acting within the GDPR and so I would suggest having a look at that legislation to check what you should be doing.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-18 09:44:10
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
It is personal data and therefore covered by the GDPR. You need to ensure you are acting within the GDPR and so I would suggest having a look at that legislation to check what you should be doing.

I have a copy of the “Guide to the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations” where I find that there is no definition of directory, but the regulations refer to:
“a directory of subscribers, whether in printed or electronic form, which is made available to
members of the public or a section of the public, including by means of a directory enquiry service”.

The listing of telephone numbers to identify a caller on a phone’s display is NOT publically available information or service and therefore IMHO not within in the scope of GDPR. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Dec-18 09:51:18
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I am not certain but as you are storing a name and phone number then you are storing personal data. As it is personal data you are required to abide by the rules on processing personal data under the act.

So, things like it must only be kept for a purpose, it must be kept up to date, you must seek permission from the individual to store and use that data, you must only use it for the purposes agreed, individuals can ask for a copy of the data or for the data to be deleted.

It may be that for the purposes you are using it you are covered but you must confirm that. What do you use the numbers for?

Presumably as a business you are applying the GDPR to other data you are storing in which case this is just a relatively minor additional piece of data to add to that compliance.
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Tue 18-Dec-18 13:46:23
Print Post

Re: Telephone Directory in a VoIP Phone *DELETED*

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Post deleted by trolleybus
  Print Thread

Jump to