Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 19:12:51
Print Post

Re: Porting BT landline number to VOIP

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by Rastus:
My replies in blue;
[snip]

Your response is much appreciated. I'll give it a go!

See edit in red to above post, possibly done after you read it.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 19:33:43
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

My replies in blue;
[snip]

Your response is much appreciated. I'll give it a go!

See edit in red to above post, possibly done after you read it.

Seen it and noted.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Feb-19 13:11:16
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

You seem to have blinkered understanding of what is possible with VoIP, provided you use suitable equipment!

Many people use multiple VoIP accounts, sometimes dialling out on 1 account using the number of another account as CLI.

So the OP could do as I suspect @Michael_Chare is suggesting, i.e. using his old BT number ported to Voipfone as CLI for an outgoing call to a UK mobile via Discountvoip at around a third of a penny per minute and no setup charges. Any returned calls would be received on the Voipfone line.

All that (with automatic routing as suggested) is handled seamlessly by equipment such as the Gigaset N300 as mentioned.
Yes, that is what I do.

IIRC Discountvoip had a procedure for ensuring I used an appropriate CLI.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User keymaster
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-19 20:50:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Is there a hosted VoIP provider out there that does?

Sipgate, Vonage and Yay.com all offer unlimited calling plans. I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan. Vonage and yay.com do (I'm with the latter). All allow you to port in a number from traditional landline operators such as BT, post office etc

Hi
As do Voiptalk.
Key
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-19 22:44:40
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keymaster:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
Is there a hosted VoIP provider out there that does?

Sipgate, Vonage and Yay.com all offer unlimited calling plans. I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan. Vonage and yay.com do (I'm with the latter). All allow you to port in a number from traditional landline operators such as BT, post office etc

Hi
As do Voiptalk.
Key

But Voiptalk donít appear to include unlimited calls to uk mobiles in any of their unlimited call plans.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 12:28:58
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

As others have posted, there are many VOIP providers out there and many of them allow number porting.

My only advice on top of this is to take an honest look at your phone usage and determine if you really need an unlimited package. Call costs vary between VOIP providers considerably, especially for calls to mobile networks. It may be that choosing a cheaper provider (or selection of providers) that doesn't have a call package is actually cheaper than one that does, based on your call patterns.

We're light phone users in our house and our call costs are rarely more than £3 to £4 per month across two separate 'lines'. YMMV of course!

Best of luck choosing a provider...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-19 14:44:01
Print Post

I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan.

I appreciate you said Sipgate don't have a native app to use their VoIP on a smartphone, but it's worth pointing out (as no doubt you're aware) that there are free third party apps which do the job very well, and having the advantage of being configurable with multiple VoIP accounts from different providers (including Sipgate).

e.g. I used to use Zoiper but following an update which I didn't like I now prefer CSipSimple which I've presently got configured with 4 VoIP accounts including 1 from Sipgate. I don't use VoIP on my mobile very often so I haven't bothered to find out if using dial plans is possible with CSipSimple, I just select the account I want to use manually which is simplicity itself.

Something to be aware of when configuring the same VoIP account on multiple devices is that some accounts do not allow this, which can result in the registration of the account flipping between the devices, i.e. as a device renews its registration, the other device(s) will lose theirs. Sipgate does not fall into this category.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 17:03:30
Print Post

Hi
Ah, you are correct, sorry
K
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to